Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 05:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times

Advertisements

Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 05:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Here's my plan, deadlock the deficit committee. That would trigger a 1.2 trillion dollar spending cut across the government. Then deny an extension of the Bush tax cuts. That would reduce the deficit by 4 trillion dollars. This would stop the GOP's extreme agenda of gutting Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security. What do yall think?
I think you are randomly making up figures and pretending results arent what they will be.

I wont address the "trugger" cuts because I dont know enough about them and they will never happen, even if the time limit isnt met, but the Bush tax cuts INCREASED revenues, so if you deny them, that would most likely result in a DECREASE in about $300B in revenues.

But the most laughable part is you want to cut the deficit, by not cutting spending of medicare, Medicaid, SS etc, which would not cut spending, but would be the same.

No surprise though, you must have gone to the Democratic school of trick accounting, where not spending the same = cuts

You most likely just INCREASED the deficits and didnt come close to the $5.2T you "projected" in your head.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Well I think that is what is going to happen. However, the GOP believe they can get the Defense part of the 1.2 put back in and they are hoping they can get a majority in the senate and the WH in 2012. If neither of those things happen, they hope they can get the WH and Senate to capitulate again. Can't raise taxes on the rich you know.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:41 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
It's a start. the gov produces nothing but debt,so any way to stop them is good.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:44 PM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
the Bush tax cuts INCREASED revenues.
You keep saying that.

That George W Bush's tax cuts increased revenue.

They didn't.

No serious economist, even those of the Austrian persuasion, believe that anymore.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:46 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You keep saying that.

They didn't.

No serious economist, even those of the Austrian persuasion, believe that anymore.
You hear some crazy stuff on CD, and it is amazing that some people believe it even though it is obvious on its face that it is wrong.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
There are no Bush tax cuts. Obama signed the current tax rates into law. Get it yet?

Old 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
You keep saying that.

They didn't.

So you are saying the CBO is wrong?
Federal Tax Revenues from 2003 to 2006
Had revenues grown at the same rate as the overall economy between 2003 and 2006, federal receipts would have increased by only $373 billion. The other $252 billion of the actual increase in revenues represents growth in excess of GDP growth. As a result, receipts as a share of GDP rose from 16.5 percent in 2003 to 18.4 percent in 2006, an increase of 1.9 percentage points (see Table 1).

Please share with me your qualifications so I can compae them to the CBO's because the revenue grew both in real dollars, and as a % of GDP.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are no Bush tax cuts. Obama signed the current tax rates into law. Get it yet?
Okay, whatever. Let the Obama tax cuts expire. It would reduce deficits by 4 trillion over ten years.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you are randomly making up figures and pretending results arent what they will be.

I wont address the "trugger" cuts because I dont know enough about them and they will never happen, even if the time limit isnt met, but the Bush tax cuts INCREASED revenues, so if you deny them, that would most likely result in a DECREASE in about $300B in revenues.

But the most laughable part is you want to cut the deficit, by not cutting spending of medicare, Medicaid, SS etc, which would not cut spending, but would be the same.

No surprise though, you must have gone to the Democratic school of trick accounting, where not spending the same = cuts

You most likely just INCREASED the deficits and didnt come close to the $5.2T you "projected" in your head.
Again, you have a problem with facts, data, and the CBO. That's not my problem, that's yours. I'm part of the reality based crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies