Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,388,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did you relly not read the linked article? This is not a safety issue. This is political correctness and an attempt to further regulate the RKBA.

There are ranges and designated shooting areas on public lands. If hikers cannot educate themselves as to where these areas are located by reading the park maps or if they "freak out" by the noise of gunfire, perhaps they should keep their hikes to controlled environments.

Maybe there is an iPhone app for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 11:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I grew up in an outlying suburb on Albany NY. I used a .22 to keep the local dump rat population down. We kids would shoot anywhere we could set up targets in front of a proper backstop like a mound of dirt or the wall of garbage at the dump. There was plenty of room and we had been taught basic gun safety at a very young age.

I now live in a suburb where it is illegal to just go out in the woods and shoot because the woods are littered with houses. Except for the local gun club range there are no places to shoot in my town.

Just up the road in the city of Manchester there is a commercial indoor shooting range set up for pistol and low power rifle practice. To practice with higher power rifles is more difficult and expensive because that requires joining a private club with a proper range set up. A sportsman’s club in Nashua has a 600 yd rifle range. North of the Notch you can shoot pretty much anywhere you want if you own the land or have the owner’s permission. . You can hunt on any land not posted against hunting.

I am amused by folk’s complaints about the noise of gunfire at the range but they never complain about the fireworks between Memorial Day and Labor Day. After dark in July can sound like a low intensity firefight there are so many explosions.

IMHO placing restrictions on firearms on government land in the West because of the reaction of the city slickers to the noise is beyond foolish.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Woe! Easy there big fella!

Its a question, not a thinly-veiled aspersion. I just used hikers as an example.

I am genuinely curious. Let's say I procured a .22. Where would it be ok to go and just shoot cans or something? I cannot do it in my backyard.
I'm neither big nor a fella.

Find Shooting Ranges in U.S. and Canada | Where To Shoot

Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the better question is who was their first? Urban hikers need to understand there are places that have historically been used for hunting and shooting. STAY OUT.
One more time: I was just using hikers as an example, not trying to start a shooter vs hikers debate.

You know, I asked a simple question. You guys could score points if one of you would simply answer it.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:52 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Forgive my urban ignorance, but where exactly do you go to shoot a gun if you are not using an indoor range?

I mean do you have to go to the deep wilderness to shoot cans without hitting a hiker?
An outdoor range.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, no. Those are indoor ranges.

Let me try a specific example.

I procure a .22 rifle. Assuming I am properly licensed in Virginia, can I take it to:

1) the George Washington National Forest

or

2) Shenandoah National Park

and shoot tin cans?

Is that allowed? If so, what are the restictions?

Old 11-16-2011, 11:54 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,845,153 times
Quote:
Woe! Easy there big fella!

Its a question, not a thinly-veiled aspersion. I just used hikers as an example.

I am genuinely curious. Let's say I procured a .22. Where would it be ok to go and just shoot cans or something? I cannot do it in my backyard.
In the South, there are many publicly-run shooting ranges that anyone can go to and shoot into what is normally a backstop of dirt pushed up by a bulldozer.

Depending on your county laws you may also be able to target shoot on your own property, making sure on your own that you are shooting in a safe direction (e.g. into a mountain, large pile of dirt, downwards, etc.)

For example, Greenville County, SC does not allow you to target shoot on your own property without a permit of some kind. But if you go to Oconee County you can do so.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:

I procure a .22 rifle. Assuming I am properly licensed in Virginia, can I take it to:

or

and shoot tin cans?

No, no, you really need to follow the link I provided, seriously. Those are not only indoor ranges.

Clue: choose option for rifle or shotgun

try again: http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/index.asp

Each range will have its own restrictions. Contact the range which you are wishing to visit/use to find out their range rules.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:

or

and shoot tin cans?

It appears that you know how to use a computer and the internet. Have you heard of this:

www.google.com

Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
In the South, there are many publicly-run shooting ranges that anyone can go to and shoot into what is normally a backstop of dirt pushed up by a bulldozer.

Depending on your county laws you may also be able to target shoot on your own property, making sure on your own that you are shooting in a safe direction (e.g. into a mountain, large pile of dirt, downwards, etc.)
Good. Now we are getting somewhere.

So, I cannot bring it to the GW Natl Forest in Virginia or Shenandoah Natl Park, go down to the deep woods, and shoot it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies