Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 06:02 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times

Advertisements

It looks like the OWS message is starting to take hold. Every American should support getting big money out of our government--it's a problem with the system and not a problem with just one party or individuals. The goals between the tea party and OWS really should be the same on the issue, and it looks like tea party leadership might actually start coming forward to agree. I'm not a tea party fan, and I can't stand Sarah Palin, but that's what politics should be about--finding common ground with people that you may disagree with on nearly everything else, and working to make change for the good of the country.

Here's Palin's Op Ed on the issue:

Sarah Palin: How Congress Occupied Wall Street - WSJ.com

Sarah Palin in Wall Street Journal: Congress is occupying Wall Street - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
I am not a fan of the tea party or Palin, but admit some times I agree 100% with her. Considering her honesty of saying the corruption and nonsense is not tied to just one party. She would probally agree with my saying " both parties suck ".

This is a bi partisan problem and it is going to take a bi partisan effort to fix it, Palin sums it well here :

Quote:
This call for real reform must transcend political parties. The grass-roots movements of the right and the left should embrace this. The tea party's mission has always been opposition to waste and crony capitalism, and the Occupy protesters must realize that Washington politicians have been "Occupying Wall Street" long before anyone pitched a tent in Zuccotti Park.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I am not a fan of the tea party or Palin, but admit some times I agree 100% with her. Considering her honesty of saying the corruption and nonsense is not tied to just one party. She would probally agree with my saying " both parties suck ".

This is a bi partisan problem and it is going to take a bi partisan effort to fix it, Palin sums it well here :
I really, really, really want to agree with her. The sentiments there, but for her to say that that the Tea Party is against crony capitalism is totally disingenuous. Especially considering that it's bankrolled by a couple of billionaires and marketed by one of the world's largest media conglomerates.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 AM

35 posts, read 18,752 times
I have to admit she is right about this one. wow!

Old 11-18-2011, 07:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Yes, big money does need to get out of government.

But you want to know what's stupid? Protesting those who are taking advantage of the access that lawmakers in DC GIVE THEM!.

The protest should be in DC, not Wall Street.

How on earth can anyone give credence to a bunch of fools who can't even read a map? Washington DC is 228 miles SOUTH of New York City. Someone should tell the idiots.

Or maybe they avoid DC because it will shed sunlight on the very Democrats that they are trying to protect, but who are equally as corrupted?

This whole thing is a FARCE. And Liberals OWN IT.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:13 AM

35 posts, read 18,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
I really, really, really want to agree with her. The sentiments there, but for her to say that that the Tea Party is against crony capitalism is totally disingenuous. Especially considering that it's bankrolled by a couple of billionaires and marketed by on of the world's largest media companies.
The term tea party is very ambiguous. 7 years ago the Tea party had nothing to do with gigantic corporate executives bankrolling a movement.

There are smaller local groups who use the term tea party that have nothing to do with the elected officials from 2010.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
It may be a nice sentiment, but it is not very pragmatic. As long as money exists it will always be part of politics. How big a part money plays in politics depends upon the kind of society. In the US, the Supreme Court has ruled that political contributions are a matter of protected speech. Other societies are far more restrictive.

A society that is free and unrestricted is far more likely to have extremes at either end of the spectrum. A controlled, or more restrictive, society may mitigate those extremes, but at a cost of their liberty.

It comes down to a question of how much liberty we, as a society, are willing to sacrifice to stem political corruption?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:38 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It may be a nice sentiment, but it is not very pragmatic. As long as money exists it will always be part of politics. How big a part money plays in politics depends upon the kind of society. In the US, the Supreme Court has ruled that political contributions are a matter of protected speech. Other societies are far more restrictive.

A society that is free and unrestricted is far more likely to have extremes at either end of the spectrum. A controlled, or more restrictive, society may mitigate those extremes, but at a cost of their liberty.
The decision that money equates free speech is what set us down this dangerous path. Frankly, our court has stated that those with more money have more protected speech. How wholly undemocratic can you get?

Quote:
It comes down to a question of how much liberty we, as a society, are willing to sacrifice to stem political corruption?
Having spent a good bit of time in several of those more controlled countries, I can say that, excluding guns, many of them have a lot more personal freedom than we do

Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
It looks like the OWS message is starting to take hold. Every American should support getting big money out of our government--it's a problem with the system and not a problem with just one party or individuals. The goals between the tea party and OWS really should be the same on the issue, and it looks like tea party leadership might actually start coming forward to agree. I'm not a tea party fan, and I can't stand Sarah Palin, but that's what politics should be about--finding common ground with people that you may disagree with on nearly everything else, and working to make change for the good of the country.

Sarah Palin in Wall Street Journal: Congress is occupying Wall Street - MJ Lee - POLITICO.com
As usual Palin has it backwards. WS is Occupying Congress.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 AM

1,332 posts, read 995,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post

If the OWS movement was actually about getting big business out of our government, then I would be agreeing all the way. But in reality, the OWS movement is a mixed bag....some wanting big business to hand over their profits....some wanting the blacks to rise up and slaughter the whites (as I saw in one video)....some wanting us to go to communal living where nobody needs a job to earn a living....etc.

There is no real CLEAR movement. And I find it interesting that Obama can support them when one of his best pals is the CEO of General Electric and that company paid ZERO in corporate profit tax last year. You want to talk about big business being in bed with the government?? How about at the highest level of the government?? AND this is the same guy that Obama appointed to head his JOBS commission...AND he sent the GE X-RAY division to CHINA recently. Hypocrisy anyone??

I think the government SUCKS...the system is corrupt...it is LOADED with people who talk out of both sides of their mouth...and that goes for BOTH parties. It needs to be overhauled...without a doubt. But I am not going to support the OWS when there are so many LOONS involved who are confusing the GOOD part of that message. They lack leadership and organization....which is something the Tea Party has.

If they get their act together and clear out the LOONS..then they would have my support. Getting big business OUT of our government is a good thing...it would be nice if that sort of a change DID happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies