Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,532,308 times

Advertisements

Because we have the wisdom to know that if you keep taxes low, we citizens wil stimulate the economy beautifully, unlike the Fed. Govt. lied and said they would do. They did not because they could not, and it is not clear if they honestly even tried. (missing stimulus money was talked about and then....shhhh, as usual)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
We should tax food stamps, welfare payments and housing subsidies...
Yes drive those individuals that are living at the poverty level to live on the streets.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:00 PM

805 posts, read 1,085,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Yes drive those individuals that are living at the poverty level to live on the streets.
Oh please...spare me the propaganda and fear-mongering. There are so many people completely mooching off the system, collecting welfare, getting paid under the table and selling drugs that it would make your head spin. If people are truly needy and are in a desperate situation, local individuals, churches and organizations are FAR more fair and efficient in distributing funds than a far-away, central government that is bloated, inefficient, and has a perfect track record of bankrupting programs and promising people $$ that they can't afford.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,189,134 times
Quote:
Why Most Republicans will not agree to a Tax Increase
There was a guy called George Satayana, and he has a famous quote:

Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

That would apply to you.

The last time the economy was only marginal, the Republican-controlled House and Senate raised taxes.

That caused a recession, and a Republican president lost a bid for re-election.

That was Bush the Elder.

Before that, during a time of economic instability a Republican-controlled House and Senate raised taxes, in fact at the time, the largest tax increase in history.

That triggered the Great Depression. It also resulted in the Republicans losing total control of both Houses, and then a Republican president lost re-election.

So, give us two reasons why Republicans are so reluctant to raise taxes....I'll give you three guesses and the first two guesses don't count.

Quote:
Not on my street.

What is so wrong with people sharing living accommodations?

Why is it always they get their own McMansion or they're in the street?

You know, you all might learn a valuable lesson from African, Asian, Eastern European and Central/South American immigrants.

They share living accommodations, and because they do, they can save a helluva lot of money really, really fast, and because they can, they can buy everything they need without using credit cards and without throwing away $1000s in interest.

Aside from that, I'd say if you did a Cost-Benefit Analysis, it would be cheaper to give the sloths a brown-bag lunch, a $10 bill and a parachute, and then kick their goat-smelling asses out the back of a C-130 on a drag run over Somalia. Or Pakistan/Afghanistan. Or Myanmar.

Look at the bright side: then can get citizenship in Somalia and then their goat-smelling lazy asses can immigrate to Sweden, where they can live a social utopia.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:16 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,265,406 times
Grover......WHO?

Who is this guy? When did we elect him? And why are so many republi-CON politicians afraid of him?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:22 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,487,505 times
Quote:
I had no idea how much power Grover Norquist has, something like 230 congressmen have signed the pledge. No wonder there is a impasse.

"Grover Norquist has collected pledges from many Republicans that they will not vote for a hike of any kind. In an interview airing Sunday on CBS’s “60 Minutes,†the head of the Americans for Tax Reform makes it clear he’s proud of his role firing up anti-tax fervor in Washington.
“The Republicans won’t raise your taxes. We haven’t had a Republican vote for an income tax increase since 1990,†he told Steve Kroft."

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz1eJ0rtvqv
I think this is terrible. Not because of the content of the pledge (which I disagree with) but the idea that 230 congressmen have decided to be beholden to one man instead of their constituents, and not considering all the options that should be on the table for putting our fiscal house in order. How is that even democratic? For one man to have that much influence over our legislative branch is the antithesis of democracy. It's flirting with Oligarchy.

And yes, I'd say exactly the same thing if Norquist were some liberal activist trying to exact a pledge from Democrats. Our politicians need to be beholden to US, not a single man.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:42 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,190 times
I won't agree to a Tax increase because I actually have to pay them unlike a lot of people in this country who feel that "rich" people shouldn't mind paying a little more... and rich is actually anyone with a job.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,676,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I think this is terrible. Not because of the content of the pledge (which I disagree with) but the idea that 230 congressmen have decided to be beholden to one man instead of their constituents, and not considering all the options that should be on the table for putting our fiscal house in order. How is that even democratic? For one man to have that much influence over our legislative branch is the antithesis of democracy. It's flirting with Oligarchy.

And yes, I'd say exactly the same thing if Norquist were some liberal activist trying to exact a pledge from Democrats. Our politicians need to be beholden to US, not a single man.
This is a tough time to be a moderate Republican. If you upset Grover by not being ideologically pure enough for him on taxes, he can throw a lot of $$ against you in an election. For some members, those pledges that they signed to get votes are now like millstones around their neck. They know that there has to be some revenue changes like closing special interest loopholes, but Grover says that is the same as a tax increase. I'll bet they didn't realize that when they signed, they have to acquiesce forever to whatever rules Grover decides on.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,099,635 times
Because that's what the people that voted for em want

I take great pleasure in keeping my hard earned $$$ and the level of whining coming from the looter's is really opening a lot of eyes...

Old 11-21-2011, 03:30 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,483,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I'm not a Republican, but there is no need to raise taxes on anybody. Our bloated government does not need more money. In fact, we should reduce federal taxes.

More federal taxes will just encourage more wasted spending.

Stop feeding the pig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies