Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 01:30 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
And how is that different from today?

The US wants its citizens to foot the bill for un-winnable, undeclared wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and soon to be Turkey and Iran.

You're making my points for me Anne
Keyword: citizens
The colonists in the 1700's were not considered British citizens.
And who voted Bush into office? US citizens who, for the most part, wholeheartedly supported his decisions after 9/11, correct?
Somebody does something in office you don't like, you vote them out...American colonists had no similar options then.

Taxation without representation. You can't argue we have no representation today. We have lots of representation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 01:37 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
And who voted Bush into office? US citizens who, for the most part, wholeheartedly supported his decisions after 9/11, correct?
Somebody does something in office you don't like, you vote them out...American colonists had no similar options then.

Taxation without representation. You can't argue we have no representation today. We have lots of representation.
Again, you are reinforcing his points. What has Obama done to bring the troops home? You could say that was a major reason why people voted him in. I know that's why I voted for him. That and "cleaning up Wall Street", in his own words.
Obama than proceeded to receive more campaign donations from Wall St than any other President in US history. Then, a slap in the face to the American people, He kept Bush's economic advisors and re-appointed the Head Chairman of the corrupt and dysfunctional Federal Reserve, AFTER THE ECONOMIC CRASH that they created.

It had already been written in The Bush Doctrine that all troops must be out of Iraq by 12/31/2011. Do you notice a pattern?
Americans no longer have representation. There is a hidden branch of power that is calling the shots.
There will be a revolution, whether you are part of it or not is up to you.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:39 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
What were they then? Why would non-citizens have to pay taxes?

Quote:
There's arguments to be made that 9/11 was staged or allowed, considering the trillions we spend on intelligence and the power of the CIA, and they let some towel heads board planes and crash them into buildings? Okay. Really good use of our tax money right there.

What's the justification for Iraq and Libya?

Why did we stay in Afghanistan long after we killed Osama Bin Laden? Why are we STILL THERE NOW?

Quote:

Haha, you think we have representation? How many conversations have you had with your state senator or representantive? LOL

Unless I'm an elite corporation with millions to spend on a lobbying budget, then I have NO REPRESENTATION.

Is it just me, or is someone here out of touch with reality? LOL

We have lots of representation? That's good. I'm still laughing

Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,797 times
Quote:
What were they then? Why would non-citizens have to pay taxes?

Quote:
There's arguments to be made that 9/11 was staged or allowed, considering the trillions we spend on intelligence and the power of the CIA, and they let some towel heads board planes and crash them into buildings? Okay. Really good use of our tax money right there.

What's the justification for Iraq and Libya?

Why did we say in Afghanistan long after we killed Osama Bin Laden? Why are we STILL THERE NOW?

Quote:

Haha, you think we have representation? How many conversations have you had with your state senator or representative? LOL

Unless I'm an elite corporation with millions to spend on a lobbying budget, then I have NO REPRESENTATION.

Is it just me, or is someone here out of touch with reality? LOL

We have lots of representation? That's good. I'm still laughing Please don't stop arguing with me, you're keeping me very entertained on a boring day at work.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Quote:
AH HAH!!! Got ya!

There IS NO LAW WRITTEN that says it's illegal. It's not in the constitution, no where does it say a person can't use certain substances in their body.

They TRIED to do it with Prohibition of alcohol, and they AMENDED THE CONSTITUTION to do so. I don't see an amendment banning the use of drugs, so there doesn't have to be a law written to make it legal. Technically it already is legal.
Got me? Nah if ya think it's legal then you are smoking crack but feel free to give it a test walk up to a cop and light up.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
This is, perhaps a tempting idea in such trying fiscal times, but at what cost to society as a whole, would this be?

I have a better idea. Let's cut our budget in DC just like we in our homes have to do, at times.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:41 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
This is, perhaps a tempting idea in such trying fiscal times, but at what cost to society as a whole, would this be?

I have a better idea. Let's cut our budget in DC just like we in our homes have to do, at times.

Yeah, because legalizing alcohol caused so many social problems that prohibition didn't bring.

Nothing would change, crime would go down, less people are in jail for no good reasons, and a new industry would be made for public use.

Prove your point that its bad for society.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
And how is that different from today?

The US wants its citizens to foot the bill for un-winnable, undeclared wars in Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, and soon to be Turkey and Iran.

You're making my points for me Anne
I'm sorry, had a minor family situation and had to leave real quick during the postings.
My point was, Britain fought the war against the French in the colonies, but the colonies had no input since they had no representatives in Parliament. They were forced to pay for a war many did not support.

There weren't many direct taxes, I agree, but the levies on tea, molasses, and other goods were seen as a back-handed tax. And the East India Company was infuriated that colonists were smuggling tea in from Holland which was much cheaper without the taxes East India had to pay on theirs. Half of Parliament owned shares in East India at the time, so you can guess whose voice was heard.

People who complain about our taxes...at a time when they're at the lowest rates in decades, and our economy is in turmoil, our educational system is being battered, our infrastructure is falling apart, just strikes me as very short-sighted. Any opportunity to raise much-needed money should be considered.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:28 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,529,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Yeah, because legalizing alcohol caused so many social problems that prohibition didn't bring.

Nothing would change, crime would go down, less people are in jail for no good reasons, and a new industry would be made for public use.

Prove your point that its bad for society.
Gladly! I have no desire to drive next to a bunch of pot-heads! I probably do, anyway but make it legal and accepted and we're going to have more idiots indulging in the stuff.

Even more kids will be trying the stuff because once the fear of getting busted is removed there will be more parents keeping the stuff at home.

Prove? okay...anything that dumbs folks down cannot, ultimately be good for society.

It's sad to want to legalize it just for the tax revenue. However! why was it ever made illegal?? It's a plant! I have to admit that it seems that man-made crud should have stayed illegal and Pot always have been legal.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Many people can and do grow it now, most won't grow it no a large scale. And the majority would only buy it from someone else and only then when it came if a pretty or convenient package. THAT is what could be taxed.

I don't really care if someone doesn't want it legal because....bla bla bla. Laws should work the opposite direction, you only criminalize things that NEED criminalizing (IE: you want everyone engaged in it locked up or otherwise punished) You don't defend keeping something criminalized because you are scared that even MORE people will do something that a huge percentage of the population already does. Stupid stupid stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies