Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable

Ex-Solyndra Staff Eligible For TAA Federal Aid; Packages Worth Average $13,000 Each

Quote:
The Labor Department today announced that it had approved Trade Adjustment Assistance for the former employees of the bankrupt solar panel maker Solyndra.

That means all of the firm’s 1,100 ex-employees are eligible for federal aid packages, including job retraining and income assistance. The department has valued packages at about $13,000 a head.

Taxpayers will have to cough up yet another $14.3 million as a result of Solyndra’s bankruptcy. They are already on the hook for $528 million in federal loan guarantees to the company that are unlikely to ever be paid back.
Also...

Quote:
Most TAA requests take 60 days to process according to DOL, but this one took about 80.

The department said the delay was caused by a Senate fight over reauthorizing the program.

“During that period all pending TAA announcements were put on hold,” said DOL spokesman Joshua Lamont.

That fight was triggered in part by Republican lawmakers’ outrage that Solyndra employees were up for TAA help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
We pay oil industry workers more then that, seeing as their industry is 100% profit, and 0 loss.

Your point?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We pay oil industry workers more then that, seeing as their industry is 100% profit, and 0 loss.

Your point?
You are kidding right?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are kidding right?

They were a net negative on federal taxes last year, yeah, not kidding. With the tax right offs they get, they make record profits.

Aren't we in essence paying their payroll?

Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,389,337 times
Quote:

Retraining?? I thought these were the "green jobs" that Obama was yapping about. I guess they need to be retrained to do "real" work.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
They were a net negative on federal taxes last year, yeah, not kidding. With the tax right offs they get, they make record profits.

Aren't we in essence paying their payroll?
My point with the question is NOT with subsidies. I don't agree with them. If you don't want oil subsidies, then you shouldn't want green energy subsidies either - which is my position.

My point is with the fact that I put a single story, and the immediate reaction is to deflect its impact with something off topic.

Can you not deal with this story by itself? And the fact the we funded the entire operation, its complete failure - and now we are funding the employees for loosing their jobs. This is YOUR money. Do you not understand this? Do you care?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
My point with the question is NOT with subsidies. I don't agree with them. If you don't want oil subsidies, then you shouldn't want green energy subsidies either - which is my position.

My point is with the fact that I put a single story, and the immediate reaction is to deflect its impact with something off topic.

Can you not deal with this story by itself? And the fact the we funded the entire operation, its complete failure - and now we are funding the employees for loosing their jobs. This is YOUR money. Do you not understand this? Do you care?

I don't want any industry subsidies.

However, in the past, we have subsidised business before. The airline industry, for instance, was largely built by the federal government and the need that they supplied.

Oil puts our national well being at risk, because we simply do not have the ability to obtain the oil we need here at home at the rate we currently demand. Even if all restrictions on oil companies were removed on their drilling, even their top experts admit they don't know whats out there, and if they can even get to it. Even under the best scenerio thats a 7 year wait for a single drop to reach US shores, and even then, the market is still controlled by those who have the most reserves, and bubba, that ain't us.

Domestic energy supplies, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, nuclear, tidal, etc should all be exploited before we spend money on foreign sources.

But the oil company don't want that, and they lobby against it, again with the money supplied them by the tax payer.

They pay net negative on federal taxes, while making record profits. Not record oil industry profits, but record national profits for any corporation, ever.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:13 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:

However, in the past, we have subsidised business before. The airline industry, for instance, was largely built by the federal government and the need that they supplied.

Oil puts our national well being at risk, because we simply do not have the ability to obtain the oil we need here at home at the rate we currently demand. Even if all restrictions on oil companies were removed on their drilling, even their top experts admit they don't know whats out there, and if they can even get to it. Even under the best scenerio thats a 7 year wait for a single drop to reach US shores, and even then, the market is still controlled by those who have the most reserves, and bubba, that ain't us.

Domestic energy supplies, coal, natural gas, solar, wind, nuclear, tidal, etc should all be exploited before we spend money on foreign sources.

But the oil company don't want that, and they lobby against it, again with the money supplied them by the tax payer.

They pay net negative on federal taxes, while making record profits. Not record oil industry profits, but record national profits for any corporation, ever.
Still deflecting. Do you even know the difference between a subsidy and an aid package?

Old 11-22-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I will take that as no - you don't care about how your money is spent - or at least you will put it behind casting the administration in a negative light. Still no comment specifically on Solyndra from you.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,457,656 times
Quote:
I will take that as no - you don't care about how your money is spent - or at least you will put it behind casting the administration in a negative light. Still no comment specifically on Solyndra from you.
Of course you won't get a comment on this. Solyndra was an Obama pet project. Nothing wrong with wasting hundreds of millions of our money on something Obama likes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies