U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,920 posts, read 23,270,549 times
Reputation: 5320

Advertisements

The Federal Reserve told the largest U.S. banks on Tuesday to test their loan portfolios and trading books against a severe recession and a European market shock.

The most severe point of the test will assume a 13 percent unemployment rate and an 8 percent decline in U.S. gross domestic product.
Some 31 bank-holding companies are being asked as part of their 2012 capital plan review to project revenues, losses and capital positions through the end of 2013 using four different scenarios, two provided by the Fed and two defined by the bank.


All start in the fourth quarter of this year and go through the last quarter of 2014, taking into account loan-loss reserves at the end of 2013. Each Fed scenario for the U.S. variables includes five measures of economic activity and prices, four aggregate measures of asset prices or financial conditions and four measures of interest rates. The six largest banks will also have their trading portfolios tested against a “global market shock,” the Fed said.

The Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review has become a centerpiece of the U.S. central bank’s heightened oversight of the largest banks. It is also an exam of decision making by bank management and boards. The Fed is assessing how well they understand their risks and demands on earnings and capital from new standards coming from both international accords and the Dodd-Frank act in the U.S.

“The aim of the annual capital plans, which build on the CCAR conducted earlier this year, is to ensure that institutions have robust, forward-looking capital planning processes that account for their unique risks, and to help ensure that institutions have sufficient capital to continue operations throughout times of economic and financial stress,” the Fed said in a statement.

The decision to make the scenario public before the tests began marks a step toward greater transparency in supervision by the Fed. The central bank didn’t disclose the scenarios when it started its 2011 stress tests in November last year. The Fed completed those tests in March.

The Fed will also publish the results of the tests for the 19 largest bank holding companies. Six institutions with large trading operations will have to estimate potential losses from a hypothetical “global market shock,” the Fed said. That shock will be based on market price movements seen during the second quarter of 2008, the Fed said, and include a scenario involving “sharp market price movements in European sovereign and financial sectors.”

The Fed said it would publish the results of the market shock scenario of the six institutions.
Source: Top U.S. banks told to stress test against severe recession | Investing | Financial Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Maine
561 posts, read 439,113 times
Reputation: 306
Did you notice this was announced only after the markets closed today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,203,187 times
Reputation: 10010
Are they trying to figure out how many trillion more of our dollars they are going to need to get them through 2012?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:36 PM
 
11,454 posts, read 7,406,050 times
Reputation: 4625
Isn't that what banks are supposed to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,832,264 times
Reputation: 27573
How much faith do you have in these so called stress tests ?
Has any bank failed yet ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:43 PM
 
12,050 posts, read 11,203,187 times
Reputation: 10010
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How much faith do you have in these so called stress tests ?
Has any bank failed yet ?
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:44 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,371,786 times
Reputation: 12769
The premise of the stress test seems to be false since real unemployment is much higher currently than 13% (likely at least 20%). The forcast is that 9% UE rate is the new norm for many years to come along with GDP growth at or under 2-3% for at least the next 4-5 years if not a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 21,154,421 times
Reputation: 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
The Federal Reserve told the largest U.S. banks on Tuesday to test their loan portfolios and trading books against a severe recession and a European market shock.

The most severe point of the test will assume a 13 percent unemployment rate and an 8 percent decline in U.S. gross domestic product.
Some 31 bank-holding companies are being asked as part of their 2012 capital plan review to project revenues, losses and capital positions through the end of 2013 using four different scenarios, two provided by the Fed and two defined by the bank.


All start in the fourth quarter of this year and go through the last quarter of 2014, taking into account loan-loss reserves at the end of 2013. Each Fed scenario for the U.S. variables includes five measures of economic activity and prices, four aggregate measures of asset prices or financial conditions and four measures of interest rates. The six largest banks will also have their trading portfolios tested against a “global market shock,” the Fed said.

The Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review has become a centerpiece of the U.S. central bank’s heightened oversight of the largest banks. It is also an exam of decision making by bank management and boards. The Fed is assessing how well they understand their risks and demands on earnings and capital from new standards coming from both international accords and the Dodd-Frank act in the U.S.

“The aim of the annual capital plans, which build on the CCAR conducted earlier this year, is to ensure that institutions have robust, forward-looking capital planning processes that account for their unique risks, and to help ensure that institutions have sufficient capital to continue operations throughout times of economic and financial stress,” the Fed said in a statement.

The decision to make the scenario public before the tests began marks a step toward greater transparency in supervision by the Fed. The central bank didn’t disclose the scenarios when it started its 2011 stress tests in November last year. The Fed completed those tests in March.

The Fed will also publish the results of the tests for the 19 largest bank holding companies. Six institutions with large trading operations will have to estimate potential losses from a hypothetical “global market shock,” the Fed said. That shock will be based on market price movements seen during the second quarter of 2008, the Fed said, and include a scenario involving “sharp market price movements in European sovereign and financial sectors.”

The Fed said it would publish the results of the market shock scenario of the six institutions.
Source: Top U.S. banks told to stress test against severe recession | Investing | Financial Post
Its just a test, this is only a test to make sure banks can find where their butts are weak at, so we don't have a completel collapse. Its like putting smoke around your windows, to discover where you have leaks, you have a little fire.

I think this is a good thing. The economy will collapse, or not, regardless of what we do. This test doesn't mean they are expecting a collapse, or that if one happens it'll be that bad.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 05:46 PM
 
17,950 posts, read 19,922,063 times
Reputation: 7565
Stress test is to just give the appearance that they are doing something... reality is something else... the point of it? For the feds to read between the lines while the public has no clue and think everything is okay...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,371,786 times
Reputation: 12769
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Stress test is to just give the appearance that they are doing something... reality is something else... the point of it? For the feds to read between the lines while the public has no clue and think everything is okay...
More likely the purpose is to help predict if the next go round the "too big to fail" banks will need to be nationalized, as is about to happen via the IMF in Europe.

The MF Global/CME debacle should be a huge wake up to everyone as to the risk their money is in even when in what are supposed to be relatively safe accounts. The theft of billions has occured and those with accounts have little recourse at this time. Yet, Corzine walks about like a free man. If the public isn't clued in by now there is little hope for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top