Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times

Advertisements

and theres that reasoning again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 01:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKrunner88 View Post
As a republican and a conservative, I don't really like the idea of raising taxes, I see it as a form of theft in many ways. However, at this point I don't see too many other alternatives other than compromise, and I think republicans need to start seriously looking at taxing the rich more. Yes, they can afford to pay it and no I do not believe that would really hurt businesses. The tax rates for the rich are the lowest they have been in decades and our economy is going down the toilet.
I have no problem with the closing of tax loopholes, thereby tax increases, the GOP members of the supercommitee put forward. However, our tax system is broken and needs replaced so that EVERYONE has skin in the game. Without reducing the size and scope of our federal government we will be mired in mediocrity, fraud, waste & abuse of power until our Constitutional Republic is extinct. This is the goal of Progressives as illustrated by Harry Reid and his refuse to compromise Senate.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
To answer the OPs question, I'd go for an across the board % cut, elimination of waste and redundancy, some major defense (more like offense) cuts, something with SS (raise the age probably), and some moderate tax hikes on the rich.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
You're about 1,198.8 billion off with that one memphis. Foreign aid should be cut but it's a drop in the bucket, I've never understood why people focus on it so much.

Thats not foreign aid, it actually is under the defense budget.

And you've got to start somewhere. Our congress couldn't even agree on 1.2 billion in cuts, but we give Egypt 1.3 billion a year for their military.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have no problem with the closing of tax loopholes, thereby tax increases, the GOP members of the supercommitee put forward. However, our tax system is broken and needs replaced so that EVERYONE has skin in the game. Without reducing the size and scope of our federal government we will be mired in mediocrity, fraud, waste & abuse of power until our Constitutional Republic is extinct. This is the goal of Progressives as illustrated by Harry Reid and his refuse to compromise Senate.

But Americans don't want most programs to be cut. The three biggies are Defense, Social Security, and Medicare.

Without cuts in those programs we are going to have to raise a lot of tax money, and the poor have little to input without hurting the economy. So we have to tax disposable income, which is by and large in the upper tier of Americans pockets.

Its simple math really. The question is where to start?

Americans don't want social security and medicare touched, and Republicans won't cut defense. So, we end up in the same spot.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats not foreign aid, it actually is under the defense budget.

And you've got to start somewhere. Our congress couldn't even agree on 1.2 billion in cuts, but we give Egypt 1.3 billion a year for their military.
The super committee was tasked with 1.2 trillion in cuts, not billion. We're spending $55.2 billion on foreign aid in 2011 out of a 6 trillion dollar budget, so about 0.9%. Like I said, cut, but it's a drop in the bucket.

http://www.usgovernmentspending.com/year2011_0.html

Quote:
But Americans don't want most programs to be cut. The three biggies are Defense, Social Security, and Medicare.

Without cuts in those programs we are going to have to raise a lot of tax money, and the poor have little to input without hurting the economy. So we have to tax disposable income, which is by and large in the upper tier of Americans pockets.

Its simple math really. The question is where to start?

Americans don't want social security and medicare touched, and Republicans won't cut defense. So, we end up in the same spot.
They all have to be cut. We can't even begin to tax our way out of this one. We could confiscate the life savings of every millionaire and we would barely make a dent.

Last edited by rw47; 11-23-2011 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: forgot source

Old 11-23-2011, 01:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Its also a start.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
The super committee was tasked with 1.2 trillion in cuts, not billion. We're spending $55.2 billion on foreign aid in 2011 out of a 6 trillion dollar budget, so about 0.9%. Like I said, cut, but it's a drop in the bucket.

Only 1.17 trillion to go. Cut off aid to Israels military, Pakistans, and all of the other ones.

Gotta start somewhere.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Only 1.17 trillion to go. Cut off aid to Israels military, Pakistans, and all of the other ones.

Gotta start somewhere.
Actually, my last post was dishonest by accident. We spend $55 a year on foreign aid, but the 1.2 trillion the super committee was tasked with is spread over 10 years. We could hit half of that mark by cutting foreign aid.

Still barely a start though if you look at yearly deficits. $1.2 trillion over 10 years is pathetic anyway.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:55 PM

Program Overview | Just the Facts - U.S. military aid to Latin America and the Caribbean

Another 3.3 billion dollars a year for 10 years.

33 billion dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies