Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:51 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times

Advertisements

Its none of my damn business. A guy going down on a guy is disgusting. So isnt someone eating frog legs , or a largemouth bass . Same can be said about a guy that wants to screw 300lbs woman.
And just like those things, its no of my damn business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 10:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lahaina Lopaka View Post
According to thousands of generations of people, east and west, north and south, across all the continent,s who have always considered and defined marriage, by whatever term or conditions they apply to the institution, as being between two people of different sexes, i.e. 1 ea man and and 1 ea woman. In a very few cases, it has been 1ea man and multiple ea women.

That's who.

So I guess you are one of those who thinks things should never change or evolve with time?

There was a time when women were considered, by most of the world, to be property and not even on the same level as a man. There was a time when blacks were considered 3/5s of a human being and were slaves. So many people thought that was okay. Thank goodness we could all get passed those things and move on and treat people decently. But there will always be those who would like to continue to suppress anyone who doesn't fit the ancient definitions of "normal."

Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
So I guess you are one of those who thinks things should never change or evolve with time?

There was a time when women were considered, by most of the world, to be property and not even on the same level as a man. There was a time when blacks were considered 3/5s of a human being and were slaves. So many people thought that was okay. Thank goodness we could all get passed those things and move on and treat people decently. But there will always be those who would like to continue to suppress anyone who doesn't fit the ancient definitions of "normal."

Old 11-25-2011, 10:57 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
For me its progress. What people do in their home is between them and has no impact on anyone else. For those that think a marriage between a man and a woman is the only way to go then they need to work on Ms. Kardashian to make a better example.

I have no experience from anyone being married or not in general, it doesn't really matter what sex they are.

When we create a world that doesn't protect the minorities then we don't have much of a place to live in. While a democracy is run by the most votes it is the responsibility to look out for others as they vote.

Being gay isn't a choice, who you have sex with is. A gay man can have sex with a woman but it creates this unhealthy dynamic which serves no one. When we accept and appreciate all and the contributions each makes to our society we can be free of good kids being tied to fence posts and beaten to death. We won't tolerate those that preach hate, or picket funerals of our servicemen and others.

Our nation has a long history of being kind and benevolent but we should always stand for the oppressed. We should be the one to say, enough!

Homosexuality has not changed our nations values. Accepting liars, cheats and thieves as politicians and acting as though that is acceptable behavior has done far more harm. We tolerate unacceptable behavior. I'm sorry but too many of our presidents have done unacceptable things and the country looks the other way. If you want integrity, values and standards you must have them and live by them.

gay marriage. its a good thing. Honesty, values and standards are also good.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:37 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
What marriage may mean to the specific individuals getting married is their business...be it love, cultural tradition, religious belief, desire for children, economic security, etc. However, from a societal perspective, marriage is nothing more than a contract which involves an assortment of legal obligations. Therefore, the only requirement for entering into that legal contract should be the ability to understand the legal ramifications of the union.

Beyond that, members of the clergy should not be allowed to oversee a legal contract of marriage. The legal aspect of marriage should be as simple as signing a contract in front of an authorized, non-clergy officer of the state. If people want to have a religious "marriage" for ceremonial purposes, they should be perfectly free to do so. However, these ceremonies should, in and of themselves, have no legal standing.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:50 AM

555 posts, read 877,248 times
Anytime you have to put a modifier in front of the word "marriage" to accurately describe what you mean, you ain't talkin' about "marriage" any longer.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
It does not matter what I think. But the federal gvt has no constitutional role to define marriage,legalize gay marriage, or abolish. This is a state issue and I support the states that have accepted gay marriage and those that have not. Of course gays have the right to due process { the proper phrase eludes me} to present a case to the SC. That is where the whole issue is heading and will be and decided.
Ok...it's a state issue...and how does full faith and credit enter into it?
How about income tax? Social security benefits? Those are controlled at a federal level and affects people differently based on their marital status. How does that work?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Anytime you have to put a modifier in front of the word "marriage" to accurately describe what you mean, you ain't talkin' about "marriage" any longer.

I don't agree with that. As I said in my earlier post, things change, things evolve. Many people hate change and they hate "their" world to change.

Marriage did traditionally mean an union between a man and a woman. This stems from ancient times when we were governed biblically. Like it or not, we have rightly taken the bible or any religious doctrine out of our government. Along with that goes using biblical definitions for what constitutes a marriage. Since being accepting of same sex unions is becoming more and more accepting and evolvoing, the definition of marriage *will* change and, until it has become a reality, it will require a modifier for debate/discussion purposes and until such time it becomes legal.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Throughout our nations history marriage has been between a man and a woman, but over time society has become more tolerant and accepting of same-sex marriage which is currently legal in 6 states. Do you consider this progress or a step back away from our traditional values and for what reason?
Most people have no clue what "traditional" means when they talk about marriage. Blacks and women most certainly would not want to return to traditional marriage.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:57 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Strongly support it and think it is progress. I view it as a Civil Rights issue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies