Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:53 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They've been told that many times, but they are very s-l-o-w to understand that.

Good background info on where the problem really lies. It is, in fact, DC...
Obama's Big Sellout: The President has Packed His Economic Team with Wall Street Insiders
I'm sure if Bush were still president they would all be in DC instead of infesting local communities.

Yep all his cronies have ties to the "Big Five". Most are Goldman boys/girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
If this is a 'softball question', you could at least give a straight answer.

So you are saying that even if the homeowner and I agreed to $200, I should be tried anyway? Even if the homeowner says "I don't want to take him to court", I should go to court anyway? Are you really advocating that big of a nanny state?

Your entire argument seems to be not based on fairness or the freedom of the homeowner to do what he wants to get a fair retribution for damage to his property, but merely based on your childish desire to 'get back at someone'. You need to stop making your decisions with so much emotion.
That is not what I said. You are operating under the assumption that you could press charges and then have them dropped if you were satisfied. That is not the way the criminal justice system works. If you don't believe me, call your local prosecutor or district attorney. It is the prosecutor's decision whether the case is dismissed. Once the charges are filed, they have control over the case...not you.

My entire argument is that there is a different set of rules for managers of big banks and large corporations. They hide behind the corporation as an entity to shield them from violations of laws. The corporation pays a settled amount and the executive walks away with out any penalty. So in actuality it is the shareholders that are screwed and not the executive.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:00 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
They have been lieing cheating and stealing for so long. Lets stop with the fines and start with the jail.

A very significant part of the President's job is carried out by the Department of Justice. Their budget is over $28 billion which is enough to pay 140,000 staffers at $200k each.

I suggest you write to President Obama and ask him why he can't catch and prosecute these criminals with a $28 billion budget. Ask him why the criminals at Freddie and Frannie are not in jail, but are getting millions in new bonuses.

Ask him why he is not prosecuting the crooks at Solyndra who took a half a billion of our tax dollars.

That would be a good start.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
You believe banks and corporations don't break federal and state laws. These settlements and charges happen all the time, but nobody goes to jail.

Not true. Bernie Madoff went to jail. A bunch of the Enron execs were convicted and many including Jeff Skilling went to jail. And there are many others.

But maybe you are talking about Obama's buddies. Yes, they haven't even been tried. But I agree with your anger toward Obama for protecting his buddies at Frannie, Freddie and Solyndra. Those crooks should be tried and sent to jail for stealing our tax dollars.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
So if I throw a baseball through my neighbor's window and we both agree that I will pay him $200 so he doesn't sue me, I should still be charged with destruction of property?

That is the precedent you are proposing.

IF you intentionally break someone else's property it is a criminal act. If you accidentally do it, it is a civil act. One you can be prosecuted for and the other you can be sued for. If you call the police and file a report, it is up to the police if they want to file it, and the prosecutor if they want to prosecute it. If the police are not invovled, you can do whatever you and your neighbor agree to.

So you are just angry and looking to lash out at someone? Emotional decision making like this has no place in politics or business.
WHy make this personal?

Old 11-29-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
In most states intentionally throwing a ball threw someone else's window is a crime - criminal mischief. If it was an accident, it is just a civil suit.
Not if the homeowner doesn't press charges.

And the DA has great latitude in determining which cases he will prosecute.

Your anger should be directed toward Obama and his Dept of Justice. They get to pick and choose who to prosecute.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not true. Bernie Madoff went to jail. A bunch of the Enron execs were convicted and many including Jeff Skilling went to jail. And there are many others.

But maybe you are talking about Obama's buddies. Yes, they haven't even been tried. But I agree with your anger toward Obama for protecting his buddies at Frannie, Freddie and Solyndra. Those crooks should be tried and sent to jail for stealing our tax dollars.
Yes, some have gone to jail. WHy did it take enron completely failing before they went to jail. The warning signs were there long before the company completely went bankrupt. Our regulators are turning a blind eye to the thieves? And Bernie Madoff, really. Nobody could tell something was wrong there? He was making unprecedented profits every single year. No regulator could figure that out. They are simply not prosecuting and not investigating.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:16 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
A very significant part of the President's job is carried out by the Department of Justice. Their budget is over $28 billion which is enough to pay 140,000 staffers at $200k each.

I suggest you write to President Obama and ask him why he can't catch and prosecute these criminals with a $28 billion budget. Ask him why the criminals at Freddie and Frannie are not in jail, but are getting millions in new bonuses.

Ask him why he is not prosecuting the crooks at Solyndra who took a half a billion of our tax dollars.

That would be a good start.
May as well **** into the wind if you think you can get a lib to fault the federal government as the problem. Which is why they "occupy Wall Street" and not 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
May as well **** into the wind if you think you can get a lib to fault the federal government as the problem. Which is why they "occupy Wall Street" and not 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
Really? Is that what you think? You have to start with who controls the federal govt. it is not you or I. You can't get elected without campaign donations. WHo do you think gives those in the largest amount? Your focus is on the puppets instead of the puppet masters.

The fact that there are not more people going to jail is a good indication of who is in control. I do find fault with the AG's office, the department of justice, The SEC, and many other regulatory agencies who are not enforcing the laws. Of course, it is not Just Obama's administration. It goes far back beyond that. You guys want to make it a partisan issue. It is not. They have purchased both sides. Wake up.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:23 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
I guess my request for specifics and substance is going to be ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies