Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
You are sounding like an OWS person
I know it's scary but right is right. I doubt very seriously this woman walked into a bank asking for a loan. Someone thrusted it upon her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 12:22 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
You don't see the difference between a 65 year old woman and a 103 year old woman? Are you serious?

In this particular case the woman has lived in her home for 53 years. She probably had the house all paid off and some banker thought it was wise to loan her money off the value of her home when she was in her 90s.

Sorry I'm as capitalist as the next guy but if banks want to make foolish lending decisions they should not expect the rest of us to do their dirty work for them. I'm with the sheriff and movers no way I'm kicking out a 100+ old woman and her 80 year old daughter on to the street.
I'm going to play devils advocate, if the banks have a court order, shouldnj't the deputies follow the law? I thought you were for abiding by the law.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:26 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Sometimes simply following orders is not good enough. I know it's a thin line between the rule of law and anarchy but I would have quit before I threw them out on the street. In this case you would most likely have to physically remove a frail old woman. I'm not down with that. The bankers can do this eviction themselves.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:30 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
You don't see the difference between a 65 year old woman and a 103 year old woman? Are you serious?
So where do you draw the line? At 99? Where is that written?
Quote:
In this particular case the woman has lived in her home for 53 years. She probably had the house all paid off and some banker thought it was wise to loan her money off the value of her home when she was in her 90s.
In her 90+ years of life, she didnt figure out not to borrow money she couldnt afford to pay back?
Quote:
Sorry I'm as capitalist as the next guy but if banks want to make foolish lending decisions they should not expect the rest of us to do their dirty work for them. I'm with the sheriff and movers no way I'm kicking out a 100+ old woman and her 80 year old daughter on to the street.
Why is lending people money foolish because they are old? They have stable incomes for the rest of their life and normally tons of equity. Thats not foolish at all, unless of course you believe banks should be discriminating against old people and not providing them loans

Old 11-30-2011, 12:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Sometimes simply following orders is not good enough. I know it's a thin line between the rule of law and anarchy but I would have quit before I threw them out on the street. In this case you would most likely have to physically remove a frail old woman. I'm not down with that. The bankers can do this eviction themselves.
Did you find out where you can send a check to pay their mortgage payment for them? Put your money where your mouth is

Old 11-30-2011, 12:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
No they can't. Self-help eviction is illegal and often even a criminal offense. If the bank has gained lawful possession of the property and the occupant does not leave voluntarily, then eviction by sheriff is their only legal recourse. If the sheriff refuses then the court should either order them to do it or order the sheriff's department to compensate the bank for the loss of their property.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:34 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Is that protocol?

Here: Police do the morally right thing
The OP has a point. How in the world, from that thread title, would he know he's posting a duplicate thread?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The OP has a point. How in the world, from that thread title, would he know he's posting a duplicate thread?
Agreed. Are you implying that the police did not do the morally right thing?

Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,218,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
No they can't. Self-help eviction is illegal and often even a criminal offense. If the bank has gained lawful possession of the property and the occupant does not leave voluntarily, then eviction by sheriff is their only legal recourse. If the sheriff refuses then the court should either order them to do it or order the sheriff's department to compensate the bank for the loss of their property.
I know in the olden days business owners would hire their own private security firms to do their dirty work, not sure if it was legal or not, but it happened.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
However, there is the possibility of dementia causing them to forget some thing from time to time.
Then they need to have a court-appointed conservator.

If they have been in and out of court for a period of time over this. Then they KNEW well in advance that they were going to have to move. They refused to accept that thinking that when the time came they could just plead "old and forgetful" and that everything would be ok.

These are the same people who fight for "equality" when it benefits or suits them. You cannot have it both ways.

I have a funny feeling that someplace there are relatives who would have/could have/should have helped with this situation. But even so, that's no excuse.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies