Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:56 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times

Advertisements

But please whatever you do....don't raise the minimum wage! That will kill small business owners. Those types of service jobs are entry level and anyone that stays in those jobs for their whole lives is undeserving and lazy. (Oh sorry, wrong thread..)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Why any business would plan their business model on the lowest common denominator of wage just astounds me.
And then when economic times change they want that model to stay the same.
You're in "the Patch"? Then pony up some more $$$ for your people and make it up on volumes/raising prices.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:21 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Why any business would plan their business model on the lowest common denominator of wage just astounds me.
And then when economic times change they want that model to stay the same.
You're in "the Patch"? Then pony up some more $$$ for your people and make it up on volumes/raising prices.
I have no sympathy for multi-zillion corporations such as McDonald's who still pay 7.50 in an oil patch area.

That's just plain stupidity.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,778,165 times
need some illegals up in the patch

Old 04-14-2013, 06:32 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I live in Montana and I cannot tell you how many people I have met that have 2-3 jobs because the wages are so low here. If employers paid a decent wage they could stop their whining about a labor shortage.
Shouldn't fast food (minimum wage) jobs be for students and part timers? If anything I'd say there's a shortage of kids to fill the positions. On the other hand, there will be a shortage of any jobs here in Cali for the next decade (at least). Having a shortage of low wage employees vs. having no jobs at all, is a small positive

You can also thank AHCA for creating an explosion of 29 hour a week or less jobs. So not only will low wage earners be making less, they'll not have any hope of even minimal health coverage.

What does it say about the state of things when a minimum wage job equates to a career? To expect a living wage from flipping burgers and serving shakes is absurd.

Old 04-15-2013, 03:04 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
perhaps the owner of the fast food joint will pay for my air ticket, relocation costs, visa and accommodation - then he may have a worker! lol

Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I have the answer!! Rather than up the wages so the jobs will attract American applicants, let's bring in millions of low skilled servant types from third world nations. They'll absolutely love those wages.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
We should note that this thread is six years old. A friend of mine just went to North Dakota to work (he's complaining about the snow as he has been living in Georgia) and he says that McD's is paying $14 an hour.

What that shows is wages will meet the supply and demand on it's own.

McDonald's Paying $15.00/hour? Yes, It's Real, But if You Move.
There's a boom going on in North Dakota and jobs are plentiful. The "old fashioned oil boom" is called the largest in North America in the last 40 years, according to USA TODAY. If you are looking to make $15.00 per hour as a starting position, you will have to get your bags packed and head for Williston, North Dakota.

A person with no criminal record and a valid driver's license can get a truck driving job that pays over six figures without a problem. People are sleeping in "man camps," extra bedrooms and wherever they can, in order to take on the plentiful well paying job opportunities.

North Dakota has its drawbacks as well. It gets extremely cold in the winter among other things.

http://www.insidescooponline.com/201...-its-real.html

Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We should note that this thread is six years old. A friend of mine just went to North Dakota to work (he's complaining about the snow as he has been living in Georgia) and he says that McD's is paying $14 an hour.

What that shows is wages will meet the supply and demand on it's own.

McDonald's Paying $15.00/hour? Yes, It's Real, But if You Move.
There's a boom going on in North Dakota and jobs are plentiful. The "old fashioned oil boom" is called the largest in North America in the last 40 years, according to USA TODAY. If you are looking to make $15.00 per hour as a starting position, you will have to get your bags packed and head for Williston, North Dakota.

A person with no criminal record and a valid driver's license can get a truck driving job that pays over six figures without a problem. People are sleeping in "man camps," extra bedrooms and wherever they can, in order to take on the plentiful well paying job opportunities.

North Dakota has its drawbacks as well. It gets extremely cold in the winter among other things.

The Inside Scoop Online: McDonald's Paying $15.00/hour? Yes, It's Real, But if You Move.
Haha, good catch. I didn't even realize it as I was reading through the comments.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Haha, good catch. I didn't even realize it as I was reading through the comments.

It's something that I have been caught on many times in the past so it's now the first thing I check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies