Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Then it would require the deadbeat parents to actually roll out of bed a little earlier and pack a lunch for THEIR kid.

My dad said he took a fried egg or pinto bean sandwich to school for lunch every day.
Bingo! That's what the bleeding hearts here are missing. To me it's not about saving money but getting these parents involved in their kids lives. Getting up and fixing your child breakfast and lunch every morning helps the parents get involved in their kids lives.

As pointed out before if you qualify for free lunch, you qualify for food stamps. I would like to see the free meal program money transferred to food stamps. If these parents send their kids to school on an empty stomach, charge them with neglect and haul them off to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I'm wasting time and space here because it is obvious to me that most of you have me on ignore.

The school districts are only required to verify income on 3% of the applications for reduced and free lunch.

Nobody is minding the store, folks. Nobody.

I know of no American who would deny breakfast and lunch to kids who need it. We all contribute to our local food banks and gladly pay additional taxes to folks in need.

We are being played by this free lunch stuff.

Money being used to subsidize families who do not need it is not being used to help the ones who do.

Someone needs to do some monitoring.
Great post.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Bingo! That's what the bleeding hearts here are missing. To me it's not about saving money but getting these parents involved in their kids lives. Getting up and fixing your child breakfast and lunch every morning helps the parents get involved in their kids lives.

As pointed out before if you qualify for free lunch, you qualify for food stamps. I would like to see the free meal program money transferred to food stamps. If these parents send their kids to school on an empty stomach, charge them with neglect and haul them off to jail.
I see your point with this. Parents do need to be forced sometimes to get involved. Welfare causes laziness. Still having hungry kids at school wont help that. Mandatory requirements for the parent to receive that check will. If they have to show how they have been involved if that child acts up or has failing grades and it is linked to that check on the 1st they will get involved. Also I believe in drug testing for food stamps and welfare. Working people have to get them. Why shouldn't someone getting a check.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

This coming from the guy that won't evict an old lady, but you've got a problem with a 2 dollar lunch for a kid.

Furthermore, lets send more people to jail....YEA..YEA, YEA...because more folks in jail ALWAYS solves the problem!

The American solution to every problem: throw more people in jail. Cuz you know, that has historically worked like a charm.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:19 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Free lunch and breakfast programs are abused, eleminate them and save billions. At the very least those kids could be given maybe peanut butter sandwiches or vienna sausages, much less costly to the taxpayer.
Its not a good a good system, obviously outdated with all the crooks out there.
Do some research and you'll be amazed.
At least they could stop feeding the kids of illegal immigrants. Make them prove the parents' citizenship.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:20 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
My hope is that these hard hearted people are not that way at all in real life, but only appear to be this way on CD. I pray for them.
Often the people on here who profess to be patriots and love America the most, often end up sounding like they hate a large segment of Americans...

Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This coming from the guy that won't evict an old lady, but you've got a problem with a 2 dollar lunch for a kid.

Furthermore, lets send more people to jail....YEA..YEA, YEA...because more folks in jail ALWAYS solves the problem!

The American solution to every problem: throw more people in jail. Cuz you know, that has historically worked like a charm.
Reading comprehension is not one your strong suits, eh?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
Great post.
Hello its me. The guy with the question

Old 12-01-2011, 01:56 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Are you a member of the tea party? If not do you support the tea party and believe they stand for your ideals such as this one?
More moderate than anything. Both sides do things that disgust me, if thats what you want to hear.
I'd check None Of The Above

Old 12-01-2011, 02:15 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Judging from the statistical information that I have seen that states the US has the LOWEST scores of any developed country *and* lower than some of the third world countries, then I have to ask if the free food program is doing any good at all. Apparently not. Therefore, why continue to sink millions of dollars annually into a program that is NOT WORKING? Wouldn't it be infinitely better to take that money and EDUCATE the parents on how to not only provide a nutritious meal for their children but to support their educational efforts as well?

The problem is, of course, that the parent(s) do not care about the health nor the education of their children. So no matter how much money you THROW at the problem, it's not going to get better.

So my thoughts are, PUT THE MONEY SOMEPLACE WHERE IT'S GOING TO DO SOME GOOD.

20yrsinBranson
So not only do you want to get away from providing school lunches, you would like to see us stop providing public education as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies