Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:26 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,686 times

Advertisements

I know why I got fat in NC. Bojangles !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,607,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
good lord! Green beans cooked in bacon? .
The thing though about the diet difference that doesn't sit quite right with me is that I see plenty of people eating fast food and eating junk food in large quantities and are eating at a breakneck speed up here. And we do love our Samuel Adams which is on the heavier side of beer. So I'm not completely convinced that is all diet.
Interesting post. Where I am now (not speaking for all of the south) NE Tennessee has too much barbeque and heavy steak meals. I don't eat fried food. To get decent seafood I have to drive an hour to a decent restaurant in Kingsport.

IMO its bad habits/lifestyle. This evening at the gym I was one of eight people there- If I were up north the gym would be packed (It only costs 100.00 for a whole year) .

My stbx's family all live in Virginia and within the last ten years, eat mostly ham and fatty foods. I guess it's a regional/cultural thing.

sunny

Old 08-30-2007, 10:44 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,645,260 times
Good point, MiamiRob. A friend came to visit and remarked the same thing, NO walking areas and heavy traffic. We have alot of parks here, but only a few with any walking trails. So if one wants to walk they have to walk on the street around the park, makes NO sense at all. Don't know what the point is to building them and using taxpayer money! And everyone very obese here in this part of Texas anyway. However, there seems to be a gym on every corner, go figure...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,378,809 times
I know the people I used to work with would eat breakfast before work, snack on cake at around 9am, lunch at 12, snack at 3 in the breakroom then be starving and run home for dinner by 5 and that was everyday.
From what I see in Tennessee its the lack of exercise and poor diet and other factors, Tennessee consumes more perscription drugs than any other state in the country and not by just a little bit, thats saying alot considering we only have a little over 7 million people in the whole state. Kinda hard to exercise on loritabs, paxil, mental illness drugs and all the other ones they consume.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times
I think its a perfect storm of a fatty diet and a sedentary lifestyle centered on motor vehicles. I have advised my friends who cook southern cuisine: Don't eat like a field hand if you don't work like a field hand!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:41 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,771,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Good point, MiamiRob. A friend came to visit and remarked the same thing, NO walking areas and heavy traffic. We have alot of parks here, but only a few with any walking trails. So if one wants to walk they have to walk on the street around the park, makes NO sense at all. Don't know what the point is to building them and using taxpayer money! And everyone very obese here in this part of Texas anyway. However, there seems to be a gym on every corner, go figure...
"Panhandle of Texas" what part? My hometown is Dumas....

Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM

42 posts, read 132,047 times
Hard to say why southerner's are fatter. My grandmother from Appalachia lived to be 96. As long as I can remember she put a big hunk of lard in everything she cooked. And what a good cook she was. She stayed thin her whole life and so did my grandfather who took biscuits and gravy in his lunch bucket everyday. I was thin until I moved North. Then I put on over 50 pounds while I lived there. This is confusing, huh?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:05 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,645,260 times
I am way down south toward LubbockTown. Was just through Dumas a few weeks ago, on my way to PNW!

Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,607,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
I know the people I used to work with would eat breakfast before work, snack on cake at around 9am, lunch at 12, snack at 3 in the breakroom then be starving and run home for dinner by 5 and that was everyday.
From what I see in Tennessee its the lack of exercise and poor diet and other factors, Tennessee consumes more perscription drugs than any other state in the country and not by just a little bit, thats saying alot considering we only have a little over 7 million people in the whole state. Kinda hard to exercise on loritabs, paxil, mental illness drugs and all the other ones they consume.
drugs for emotional problems have nothing to do with poor diet. People just have bad eating habits, and then add a sedentary lifestyle to this.

Up north, or in any city, a person walks alot more, gets exercise, and does'nt just drive to work and the mall.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:17 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,448,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
I think its a perfect storm of a fatty diet and a sedentary lifestyle centered on motor vehicles. I have advised my friends who cook southern cuisine: Don't eat like a field hand if you don't work like a field hand!
I think you hit the nail on the head with that one - historically, people in the south, despite their rich and not-heart-healthy diet, expended a heckuva lot more calories in the good ol' days than they do nowadays. If it were diet alone, then the south would have been a land of fatties since the plantation days, no?

And $100 for a gym would get you about two months in Southern California, not a whole year. I envy you sunnyhelena, now that's a bargain!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies