Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Makes me wonder, what makes children different from adults, if we expect them to be employed. And no, going door to door asking if one would like the lawn mowed is not "looking for work". And where does one stop? At age 6? It will be interesting to see what the unemployment rate will be, however, when an 8 year old gets counted in civilian labor force.
But as you go through the process of industrialization, you become more efficient in your operations (machinery begets machinery), and you end up with surplus labor, who are the children. That doesn't happen all at once, but rather incrementally.

Since you're collecting lots of tax revenues, you build schools to educate the children, since now you need educated people to run your industrialized country.

So child labor laws are usually designed to steer kids to school, instead of work, meaning education is compulsory through the 6th Grade, then the 8th Grade, then the 10th Grade and eventually through all 12 Grades.

The agricultural sector is always the last to industrialize. In the US as this process takes place, it dislocates workers who then start moving to the urban areas seeking work. So by 1962 or so, 50% of Americans live in rural areas, and the other 50% in urban areas and as agriculture completes industrialization, you have more and more people moving to urban areas (and the automobile facilitates that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The children of Uzbekistan are NOT workers. They are SLAVES!

Slaves to their families, their father’s banker and to the slavers they pick cotton for. That has to be an exploiter's heaven. Free labor that you only have to feed enough to keep alive. Wow- two legged livestock.

I was working hard since I was six for my step father. What I learned from the experience is that hard work is best done by machinery and letting the bastard live was about the meanest thing I have ever done. He disserved it.
What's the alternative, starvation?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:52 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
But as you go through the process of industrialization, you become more efficient in your operations (machinery begets machinery), and you end up with surplus labor, who are the children. That doesn't happen all at once, but rather incrementally.

Since you're collecting lots of tax revenues, you build schools to educate the children, since now you need educated people to run your industrialized country.

So child labor laws are usually designed to steer kids to school, instead of work, meaning education is compulsory through the 6th Grade, then the 8th Grade, then the 10th Grade and eventually through all 12 Grades.

The agricultural sector is always the last to industrialize. In the US as this process takes place, it dislocates workers who then start moving to the urban areas seeking work. So by 1962 or so, 50% of Americans live in rural areas, and the other 50% in urban areas and as agriculture completes industrialization, you have more and more people moving to urban areas (and the automobile facilitates that).
Exactly. So the do gooders stop these kids from working then what?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:59 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
I figured most Uzbekistani kids were chasing the Jewish kids around with sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I shall simply repeat what I put on my facebook page about this....

I shall infer from the article that these "human rights" people consider this a bad thing. Personally, I think children should work as part of their EDUCATION. Too many children think that life is all about receiving stuff and not having to work for it. My parents both worked on their family farms - and worked hard too! It builds character, something that today's youth is sadly lacking in, I'm afraid. The world would be an infinitely better place if the youth of America would put down their iPhones, and video games and engage in a little honest labor once in a while. Just sayin'.

Kids Hard At Work In Uzbekistan's Cotton Fields

'nuf said

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-06-2011, 06:01 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:

I shall infer from the article that these "human rights" people consider this a bad thing. Personally, I think children should work as part of their EDUCATION. Too many children think that life is all about receiving stuff and not having to work for it. My parents both worked on their family farms - and worked hard too! It builds character, something that today's youth is sadly lacking in, I'm afraid. The world would be an infinitely better place if the youth of America would put down their iPhones, and video games and engage in a little honest labor once in a while. Just sayin'.

'nuf said

20yrsinBranson
A lot of the past coming back. The OWS issue is that jobs are not available. The jobs you and I had as young people are not there. Those jobs are now being done by adults trying to make a living.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:09 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
This is crazy talk. Have we not learned from the mistakes of history?

Old 12-06-2011, 10:52 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:

'nuf said

20yrsinBranson
And I reckon that Uzbekistan is not too high on the human development charts either. Why would we take our cues from some backwards country like Uzbekistan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
That is exactly what the GOP wants. The 1% need slave labor to clean and scrub their toilets.
I came back from my C-D vacation to check out this forum and this is what I find. The fact that this thread even exists and has made it to this many posts is a sad reflection of this country. There are many, many ways to teach a kid a work ethic, and working slave labor in the fields is not the way advanced nations do it.

The far right is often accused of wanting to make us into a developing nation again. If so, then this thread is Exhibit A. Child labor in a setting like this is exploitative, it is evil and a scourge on this planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies