Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:26 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Repugs sure are anxious to get that YOUNG STUFF out in the work-a-day world.

Want 10 year old boys cleaning the showers at Penn State? Of course you do!

They'll learn THEIR place in life!

Want those 10-14 year old girls cleaning the men's room at the corporate headquarters? Of course REPUGS do.....

They'll learn THEIR place in life.....

Remember the Repugs rule...only poor kids need to work....and the younger the better!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 02:29 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
One must look at history. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, that was controlled by moneyed interests, children were allowed to work because the factory owners could get away with paying them less. The politicians were in the pocket of these imperial factory owners, who cared not that these children worked long hours and often were injured on the job.

Then, the rebel progressives defeated the imperial forces at the polls and passed laws that forbid child labor. The factory owners had to hire adults and pay adult wages. As a result, there was a growing middle-class, who now were able to send their children to colleges and raise their standard of living.

The only reason why this has returned as an 'issue' is that the imperial forces have gained political influence again. Now, they want to return to the days when workers had no rights, no benefits or political power. With it, they want to exploit children again and pay lower than standard rates. Leading the charge is Darth Gingrich.

Well done.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Any of you posters here who are in support of Newt's child labor ideas, read these laws on child labor and tell exactly what you want changed and why.

Child Labor Provisions for
Nonagricultural Occupations
Under the Fair Labor Standards Act

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/childlabor101.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-06-2011, 02:41 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Here's my take on this as a true conservative ...

Children have no place in the work place, and Gingrich is a deplorable globalist scumbag just like all of his globalist buddies on both sides of the Isle. And the American public had better grow a few brain cells in a hurry, and realize how these criminals are now operating.

They're working one side against the other as they always have ...that hasn't changed. But what has changed is that they now offer us the most extreme obnoxious problem-solutions from one side, and counter it with an equally absurd, solution in response ... and tell us that these are our choices.

First they put Cain up on center stage ... with his 999 plan to tax the poor. And he's a filthy lying scumbag globalist ex-Federal Reserve gangster. Now it's Gingrich, with his "let's make the poor kids be janitors at the schools". It almost looks like they are intentionally trying to rehab Obama's image

In any case, anyone voting for either mainstream candidate, republican or democrat, at this point, deserves what they get. This is no longer an issue of left versus right .. this is an issue of intelligence versus brain dead stupidity.
Bingo!

Old 12-06-2011, 04:17 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I starting working when I was 14. First I had a job at Burger King, then later I had a job working for the Department of Engineering and Housing. I painted homes, did landscaping and hung acoustic tile (this was when I lived in Germany, so the laws were different there). It was a good experience and I don't see why any other kids shouldn't be allowed to makes some extra money and learn how to be a good employee.

I think most younger people are extremely lazy. I think a work program could be good for kids. There's a big difference with providing teenagers with work and exploiting children. I think that distinction needs to be clear.
Those kind of odd jobs and part-time jobs are within the boundaries of current law.

Child labor laws prevent full-time work during school hours, for obvious reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good post. Surely we do not want to regress to those days! Besides the problem of children eventually being taken advantage of for cheap labor, adults will have to compete with the lower wages paid to children.
That's exactly why Republicans, the Party of the rich, propose these regressive laws. They want to suppress the working class in favor of the rich who fund them.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:27 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Repugs want to take jobs away from people like janitors, give the jobs to kids so they learn their place in life and then the the Repugs can b-t-h because the janitor who lost his job can't find another one and has to live off unemployment and welfare...so the Repugs can't whine about the unemployed and people on Welfare...they are quite stupid, illogical hypocrites and really nasty.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:08 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
When should children learn to behave like adults? Once they've alreay become one? Part of an adult's responsibility is to teach children how to become good adults themselves. And that means letting them understand and know what is expected of an adult. A child should be able to work because they have to work as an adult. That doesn't mean they should be subjected to dangerous conditions, but learning how to work at job and do it well, should be seen as a beneficial part of growing up.

And it's one thing to object to small children in the workforce, but people are actually upset at the idea of a 14 year old working. There's no reason that a teenager shouldn't be allowed to work.
The hurricane brain, kicking up dust, and blinding everyone ... that is what we have going on here. First, you're talking about teaching kids to be responsible, and I'm all for that. But let's let them be kids ... and let them behave like kids. They'll learn what is required of adults soon enough. And those lessons of responsibility is their parents job, not local employers ... you know ... take the trash out ... mow the lawn ... help your mother around the house .. pick up your room, and do your homework, and other chores and duties to which they earn an allowance. Teach them to work for the things they want, like xBoxes and iPods and bicycles, etc. But no, not a paying job in the local economy that already is stretched thin with so many adults out of work.

I have no idea where all of this lunacy is coming from .. people seem to be totally out of touch with reality. This is not rocket science. These kids should be learning academics at school, not cleaning the freaking restrooms.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Paper route. I had to deliver to around 200 subscribers each day and I collected each month door to door from my subscribers. I also mowed lawns in the area as well, not to mention helped my family cut wood and pick fruit and vegetables on the farms.

The idea that a kid working is "slavery" is fear mongering. Sure, there may be places that "abuse" children in such a manner, but having children work is an extremely beneficial thing as it teaches them responsibility and prepares them for the world they will eventually step into.

When I was a kid, the whole argument of "work only illegals will do" was non-existent, us kids did that work and we benefited greatly from it.
You were "providing for yourself" with these jobs? Again I ask, did you live in a boxcar?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
One must look at history. Long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, that was controlled by moneyed interests, children were allowed to work because the factory owners could get away with paying them less. The politicians were in the pocket of these imperial factory owners, who cared not that these children worked long hours and often were injured on the job.

Then, the rebel progressives defeated the imperial forces at the polls and passed laws that forbid child labor. The factory owners had to hire adults and pay adult wages. As a result, there was a growing middle-class, who now were able to send their children to colleges and raise their standard of living.

The only reason why this has returned as an 'issue' is that the imperial forces have gained political influence again. Now, they want to return to the days when workers had no rights, no benefits or political power. With it, they want to exploit children again and pay lower than standard rates. Leading the charge is Darth Gingrich.
Exactly.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:23 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Children on farms routinely do work. Farms are probably more dangerous than urban areas when it comes to accidents and injuries. But its a way of life and would be hard to enforce let alone try to change.
I can see it both ways. You don't want children being forced to labor picking fruit and vegetables or operating equipment but at the same time farmers are self reliant and the hardest working people on the planet. Their kids learn the value of work and thats beginning to be sorely lacking in society. At some point you have to stop penalizing the producers while rewarding those that contribute nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies