Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Very interesting take.. to see trade with nations less than scrupulous about forced labor as an
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady
end run around 14th amendment importing slave labor from 3rd world
I'm a free market, free trade guy but I'm going to remember that. It articulates plainly a vague thought I've had for a long time that has often bugged me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:52 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
No...but humans are basically lazy and if offered something for nothing,will take it.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:36 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I can remember when we had no food stamps, but rather commodities. They were nutricious, but, tasted like crap. It was sure motivation to go to work to afford better food. Lyndon Johnson led us down the road to the "Great society", initializing more entitlements than any other president of this century. In my mind, he is the one president most responsible for the situation we find ourselves in today. He may have been a Texan, but he was dang sure a sorry one.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Social Security: Drifting Off Course (Fortune, 1967) - Fortune Features
I recently ran across this old article about Social Security. It was designed the way it was, as 'social insurance' rather than simply thrown into the general fund because as late as the 1930's:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbes
Not even the trauma of the depression had overcome the Puritan strain in the American ethos, which held to the precept that hard work and thrift would always be rewarded and that turning to public charity--even in times of general economic disaster--was a disgrace. Even those who most needed help were unwilling to accept a permanent pension system that smacked of a government dole. And so the plan was packaged as one whose chief aim was, not relief for needy older Americans, but "insurance
Things gradually changed of course, and now turned on their head to the point where a female with 15 kids says 'someone has to be held accountable' with no sense of irony.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:07 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
Perhaps if we begin to learn the meaning of the word "sacrifice" again we can stop demanding that the government give us everything we want like children begging mommy for some candy.

Amen It's just to bad that America won't get the message until the US is bankrupt cause Americans think they are "entitled ".

Old 12-09-2011, 10:17 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,329,300 times
I would think Americans have always felt some sort of entitlement. Especially from the Native American perspective...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies