Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times

Advertisements

This stuff just pisses me off. I can't understand how so many people just don't understand why the Electoral College is needed to stay in place and how the popular vote for President would be so damn ruinous for our country. I am just sick of the stupid people in this country. What the hell is it about the constitution that so many people hate anyway?

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9280257-mcconnell-warns-of-popular-vote-catastrophic-outcome

Last edited by MORebelWoman; 12-08-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
This stuff just pisses me off. I can't understand how so many people just don't understand why the Electoral College is needed to stay in place and how the popular vote for President would be so damn ruinous for our country. I am just sick of the stupid people in this country. What the hell is it about the constitution that so many people hate anyway?

[SIZE=3]http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/07/9280257-mcconnell-warns-of-popular-vote-catastrophic-outcome[/SIZE]
I'm also in favor of the Electoral College, but there is a point to be made that too damn much attention is focused on a few battleground states, and the Founders sure as hell didn't mean it to end up this way.

That said, the party that ends up sucking the most wind in a given presidential election is always the one whining the most about it post election. It was the Dems in 2000.

Still though, the Republicans have their history too. After Roosevelt won 4 terms, they didn't think the Constitution was so great, did they?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm also in favor of the Electoral College, but there is a point to be made that too damn much attention is focused on a few battleground states, and the Founders sure as hell didn't mean it to end up this way.

That said, the party that ends up sucking the most wind in a given presidential election is always the one whining the most about it post election. It was the Dems in 2000.

Still though, the Republicans have their history too. After Roosevelt won 4 terms, they didn't think the Constitution was so great, did they?
Point taken. But my main concern is the fact that if popular vote took over then only a few states would control the whole country, like New York, California, Texas and Florida. That would be absolutely catastrophic, in my opinion anyway.

Personally, I don't like the Republicans either, as they and the Democrats are two sides of the same coin.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Point taken. But my main concern is the fact that if popular vote took over then only a few states would control the whole country, like New York, California, Texas and Florida. That would be absolutely catastrophic, in my opinion anyway.
Hell, that's how it is NOW even with the Electoral College.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:

No, a few states wouldn't be controlling the country, the people would. What's wrong with that?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hell, that's how it is NOW even with the Electoral College.
Shhhh.

She's convinced that a popular vote would be bad for conservatives.

She should be, because it would.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
No, a few states wouldn't be controlling the country, the people would. What's wrong with that?
Yeah, the people of those few states. That would be wonderful. NOT!!!!!

What is it about the constitution that so many of you have trouble with anyway?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:00 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Shhhh.

She's convinced that a popular vote would be bad for conservatives.

She should be, because it would.
You're right. Conservatives don't have the ability to manufacture phantom votes like the liberals do in the urban centers.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Yeah, the people of those few states. That would be wonderful. NOT!!!!!
Why shouldn't every citizens vote count equally? What is it about that you have trouble with?

Quote:
What is it about the constitution that so many of you have trouble with anyway?

What is it about the Constitution's provision for revision via amendment that you have so much trouble with anyway?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You're right. Conservatives don't have the ability to manufacture phantom votes like the liberals do in the urban centers.
Uh oh...here we go with the race baiting disguised under the "urban centers" banner.

Why not just come out and say it: "i don't want black votes helping to determine elections....unless they're going to vote for Republicans, of course."

See how easy that was?

Now you try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies