Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 11:28 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times

Advertisements

First off something interesting I noticed today as I was reading the Boston Herald and the Boston Globe. The Boston Herald had on page 17 a little piece about Senator Scott Brown's "holiday" party. The Boston Globe (that's the liberal communist paper, or so the cons claim) also had a small bit about the party, they called it a "Christmas" party

The differences between the Christmas tree and the Hanukkah

Christmas is a public holiday, Hannukkah is not.

Christians and non christians alike put up Christmas trees. Very few non Jews put up Menorahs

The Menorah can be traced directly to Holy Scripture, the Christmas tree can not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Is it really a big deal? Can't we just understand that different people - regardless of their religious beliefs - celebrate different holidays and allow public displays of decorations for them all?

Old 12-12-2011, 11:32 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Is it really a big deal? Can't we just understand that different people - regardless of their religious beliefs - celebrate different holidays and allow public displays of decorations for them all?
+1

I am so used to having a Menorah near the Tree that I basically associated them both together.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:10 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Who cares.

Anyway, the "Christmas" tree is a lot older than Christmas, which dates to the 4th century CE.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:31 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,024,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Who cares.

Anyway, the "Christmas" tree is a lot older than Christmas, which dates to the 4th century CE.
True, centuries before Christ, pagns brought in trees and plants to celebrate winters solstice..

Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
True, centuries before Christ, pagns brought in trees and plants to celebrate winters solstice..
That's why - despite being technically Christian myself - I just cannot stand that whole "Jesus is the reason for the season" meme.

No, Jesus is ONE reason for the season. There were plenty of others before that.

It didn't even really "take" throughout the whole Roman Empire until 400CE or so. There are sporadic accounts of similar observations (at various dates in the calendar) as far back as 200CE in North Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronog...f_354#Contents

Just to be safe, I celebrate the pagan stuff too, because you never know.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:26 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,904 times
And it gets even better as we investigate the question of why we can call it a Menorah. The Hebrew word menorah means simply "lamp" or "candelabra" That would be like calling a Christmas tree "a tree"

The religious term for the menorah, meaning the one used on Hannakkah, is Hanukkiah

Old 12-12-2011, 03:45 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
The use of a tree as a Christian symbol didn't begin until the 15th-16th century. It however was used far earlier in Pagen worship.

Quote:
Evidently, customs involving evergreen trees spread and became part of life in many places. The Encyclopaedia Britannica states regarding the Christmas tree: "Tree worship was common among the pagan Europeans and survived their conversion to Christianity." It did so in various rites and customs, including "the custom...of placing a Yule tree at an entrance or inside the house during the midwinter holidays."

The broad way leading the evergreen tree to modern popularity was paved in 1841 when the British royal family used a decorated spruce for their Christmas celebrations. Today the Christmas tree is recognized all over the world, and the demand for countless millions of natural and artificial Christmas trees seems endless. Meanwhile, Scandinavian rock carvings provide silent testimony, literally set in stone, that the Christmas tree is no of Christian origin.
The Christmas Tree It's Pre-Christain Origin - Auburn Journal (http://my.auburnjournal.com/detail/195219.html?content_source&category_id&search_filt er&event_mode&event_ts_from&event_ts_to&list_type& order_by&order_sort&content_class=2&sub_type=stori es&town_id - broken link)

Old 12-12-2011, 03:48 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,250 times
Made them think of the light at the end of the tunnel (spring!)

Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
OMG, do we have to go through this every year? I think most Christians and indeed most Americans know that many of our Christmas customs have pagan origins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies