Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:51 PM

543 posts, read 1,000,054 times

Advertisements

Anybody in here who would be classified with either of those terms do not like to be reffered by those terms?

Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,571,923 times
well it's a generic term like "African American" with the difference being most people of "hispanic" descent know what nation they came from. I would prefer being called from where my family immigrated from.
Puerto Ricans are proud "boriquas"
just like Mexicans or Venezuelans or Cubans or Peruvians or Colombians.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:47 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,136,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
Anybody in here who would be classified with either of those terms do not like to be reffered by those terms?
My wife prefers Latina over Hispanic, since Hispanic excludes Brazilians and others that don't speak Spanish, but are certainly part of Latin-American culture.

I once got into a heated argument with the organizer of a "Hispanic Festival" that I was helping out with. I helped design their website and used flags from every Spanish and Portuguese speaking country in the western hemisphere, as well as Belize (English).

She chided me for including the non-Spanish speaking flags. I pointed out to her that there were at least three Brazilian groups participating in her stupid festival...

Anyway she got over it, but never changed the name from "Hispanic." The Brazilians, being Brazilian, just shrugged it off and laughed.

Brazilians are cool.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:52 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
Quote:
I don't mind being described as Hispanic but it's only 1/4 right.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
well it's a generic term like "African American" with the difference being most people of "hispanic" descent know what nation they came from. I would prefer being called from where my family immigrated from.
Puerto Ricans are proud "boriquas"
just like Mexicans or Venezuelans or Cubans or Peruvians or Colombians.
Exactly, I'm Black my folks immigrated from Ghana. Why would I call myself an African American when I know exactly where my roots are from? It doesn't make sense to me.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
'Oriental' used to be considered acceptable until it was said to be racist/ethnocentric. As I understand it, the objection is that it implicitly makes white Europe the main reference point for geography. Several years ago the state legislature here (WA) went through all laws and removed the term 'Oriental.' A glitch came up in the form of Oriental holistic medicine shops--they like the term and wished to keep it. The state legislators acceded.

By the same token, shouldn't 'Hispanic' be considered ethnocentric because it identifies non-European lands by a European (white) language? If we're consistent, it seems like we should get rid of it as we did with 'Oriental.'

Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,396 times
Quote:
I don't like that there are people with absolutely no Roman blood or heritage in them being refered to as "Latin," while an Italian-American like me gets laughed at and scolded for callng myself it.

Also, the Spanish ruled Southern Italy and Sicily for 350 years, so maybe I can also call myself Hispanic?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:32 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
I hated it in Michigan. They forced my favorite coffee chain to change their names.

Beaners was the name of the coffee chain, and I never thought of the racial meaning until they went to court to force them to change their name.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:36 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I hated it in Michigan. They forced my favorite coffee chain to change their names.

Beaners was the name of the coffee chain, and I never thought of the racial meaning until they went to court to force them to change their name.
Funny. Boston is still refered to as "Bean Town". When are they going to force people to stop that?

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmforte View Post
Funny. Boston is still refered to as "Bean Town". When are they going to force people to stop that?

"I'm going to Mr. B's" just doesn't have the same ringtone of "Heading to beaners"

PC police, I tell ya.

I'm wondering as to when the term "redneck" will be considered racist to white folks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies