Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 09:52 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Nah, I think I'm gonna stand up for equal rights instead. I can enjoy my life and do this also

"According to the HRC, same-sex couples cannot adopt in Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, and Utah, while second-parent adoption is explicitly legal in just 26 states."

Romney Says Gay Adoption is Basically Legal Everywhere | Advocate.com

And I disagree that the states should have the right to choose whether or not to discriminate against homosexuals. There should be a federal law to protect them, IMO.
You didn't say anything about "equal rights". You said that you wanted to get rid of the "prejudice". Prejudice is an emotion. You can't MAKE people like you, or like what you do. Some people will never accept gay people- are you going to lay awake at night thinking of how you can make people not be prejudiced against you?

You have all the rights in the world. The government doesn't give them to you. Think on that very hard.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,390,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You didn't say anything about "equal rights". You said that you wanted to get rid of the "prejudice". Prejudice is an emotion. You can't MAKE people like you, or like what you do. Some people will never accept gay people- are you going to lay awake at night thinking of how you can make people not be prejudiced against you?
You are being overly dramatic by equating concern with obsession. This is a discussion board where it's entirely common for people to be called on their baseless opinions. And who said anything about MAKING people like homosexuals? There are other ways of getting rid of prejudice, such as educating people so that the false beliefs and assumptions typically feeding said prejudice are no more. TEACH them, and the prejudice will follow their ignorance out the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You have all the rights in the world. The government doesn't give them to you. Think on that very hard.
Ah, another poster in need of a reminder. Moral rights and legal rights are not one in the same.

I'm well aware that homosexuals have the moral right to marry and adopt; in fact, that's been my entire argument. However, they simply do not have the legal right to marry and adopt. And that's the problem, maintained by prejudice, among other things.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Old 07-29-2012, 10:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
You are being overly dramatic by equating concern with obsession. This is a discussion board where it's entirely common for people to be called on their baseless opinions. And who said anything about MAKING people like homosexuals? There are other ways of getting rid of prejudice, such as educating people so that the false beliefs and assumptions typically feeding said prejudice are no more. TEACH them, and the prejudice will follow their ignorance out the door.

Ah, another poster in need of a reminder. Moral rights and legal rights are not one in the same.

I'm well aware that homosexuals have the moral right to marry and adopt; in fact, that's been my entire argument. However, they simply do not have the legal right to marry and adopt. And that's the problem, maintained by prejudice, among other things.

I'm being dramatic? Hmmm. You pointed out that there are two issues here. First, the laws that discriminate against sexual preference. The government shouldn't be involved in adoption and marriage. Those are private relationships that need no government interference. You (assuming you are gay) should be fighting to get the government out of everyone's life, not fighting for more government interference. You are actually quite lucky. You don't need to get a marriage license. You can just have a fabulous party.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you can try to "educate" people about gay people all you like, and many STILL won't like you or what you do. Some people have religious ideas, some are just "wired" that way- to not like gay people. Kind of like gay people are wired to be gay.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
For the record, Chick-Fil-A is so ****ing awesome, I'd still eat there if they were executing puppies in the kitchen.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Nah, I think I'm gonna stand up for equal rights instead. I can enjoy my life and do this also

"According to the HRC, same-sex couples cannot adopt in Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, and Utah, while second-parent adoption is explicitly legal in just 26 states."

Romney Says Gay Adoption is Basically Legal Everywhere | Advocate.com

And I disagree that the states should have the right to choose whether or not to discriminate against homosexuals. There should be a federal law to protect them, IMO.
When was adoption a protected right under the constitution?

Right to free speech, right to own guns..... No right to adopt, for anyone, any state. A state could ban all adoptions, perfectly legal, or for one group, for whatever reason. I don't like it, wouldn't support it in my state, but its not a protected federal right.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:55 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When was adoption a protected right under the constitution?

Right to free speech, right to own guns..... No right to adopt, for anyone, any state. A state could ban all adoptions, perfectly legal, or for one group, for whatever reason. I don't like it, wouldn't support it in my state, but its not a protected federal right.
Not really. Read the 14th amendment.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Old 07-30-2012, 05:01 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Not really. Read the 14th amendment.

Lets look at what that says
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. Section 2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.
Section 3. No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability.
Section 4. The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any State shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void.
Section 5. The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

No where in there, is adoption a right that the states have to grant anyone. States could say that you can only adopt if you make 200,000 dollars a year or more. And there would be nothing the federal government can do about it.

States can make whatever laws they want, hell they can rule out single adoption, which is a side way of ruling out homosexual adoption, since many states don't recognize their marriage.

It is not an explicit right granted in the constitution, to anyone. As such, the 14th amendment doesn't apply.

It does mean that you can't deny them adoption just because they are "gay", but there are ways around that, seen in other states with bans on gay adoption through other means.

Like Utah, where "co-habitating outside of a valid marriage" are not allowed to adopt. Directly aimed at homosexuals.

There are few states that outlaw single adoption to homosexuals, but they use that "co-habitating" language to do what they want.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Following Boston, Chicago and San Fransisco, Chick flop a is no longer welcome in Washington DC declared by the mayor.

Washington DC Mayor Vincent Gray Says No to Chick fil A and Calls It Hate Chicken | Advocate.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies