Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So, by that rationale, gay animals choose to be gay?

You give that much credit to animals who act purely on instinct and have sex solely for reproduction?

Seriously? Homosexuality can be found all throughout nature. And all throughout history.

Gay people are gay. They didn't just wake up and decide to be part of a minority that is HEAVILY maligned.

Can one choose to engage in heterosexual acts, yet not be heterosexual? Of course.

Can one choose to engage in homosexual acts, yet not be homosexual? Of course.

But, that's not what we are talking about here. We are talking about what we are at our core.

And some people are just homosexual. And there's honestly nothing wrong with that. You have to look into the Bible with a microscope to scrape out the tiny verse that SEEMS to apply to homosexuality. I feel confident that an omnipotent God would be sure to spell that right out in something more flashy... say... The Ten Commandments?
Because God surely seems to have spelled out the stance on that whole coveting thing, yet oddly enough, many "Christians" do that sorta thing daily.

That is the exact question I put forth in a previous post. If it were so damned important, why the exclusion? Of course I was given an obviously ridiculous answer.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/25448539-post3647.html

Old 08-02-2012, 04:23 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,308,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I have advocated for this very thing in every thread about homosexual marriage that I have posted in.

My common sense solution is always rejected - by the gay marriage supporters.

See - they want those benefits. If it was really about fairness - then they would have no objection to having only civil contracts of comittment enforceable by the courts.

They want the benefits because their objective is not "civil rights" it is forced acceptance of their lifestyle.
Again... homosexuality isn't a lifestyle. Jet setting is a lifestyle.

Homosexuality just IS.

And, I feel confident that if the Supreme Court declared marriage itself to be unconstitutional tomorrow and we all had to have civil contracts (available to any adult couple, regardless of sexual orientation) instead? Gay people would be fine with that option.

Marriages could take place in churches (all types, not just Christian) and one could get a certificate of marriage, joining, whatever one's faith called it, from that ceremony.

If couples with civil contracts were allowed benefits (even if it was just survivorship and such), that would be fine. Equality under the law is the issue here, not forcing any sort of "lifestyle" on other people.

If we did leave it as is, and allow gay people to get married? How on earth would that be "forcing their lifestyle" on anyone?

I have plenty of heterosexual friends who are married. Their marriages have no bearing on my daily life, or on my marriage, unless I choose for them to.

Same would be true of any homosexual married couples.

Many homosexuals live together as married couples, even without the license. Do you feel this somehow forces their families on all of heterosexual society? I don't.

Live and let live. I do believe in it.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That is the exact question I put forth in a previous post. If it were so damned important, why the exclusion? Of course I was given an obviously ridiculous answer.
Because there is no answer for it.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:27 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,538,387 times
Quote:
I'm quite objective.

You start talking about "traditional" marriage... what other sort could you be referring to?

No need to play games here.

If we want to go VERY traditional, let's abolish marriage licenses and get rid of government benefits to married couples. That way, anyone who chooses to be married can be married. No need for laws.

And before you say that you'd prefer that, keep in mind that everyone who claims they'd prefer that seems not to want to give up their legal rights as a married heterosexual person, so head on out and change that for everyone and then we can talk.

This is the very reason people in traditional marriages are so stinking mad!!! We need to roll over and give up our marriages because the minority wants to change the meaning and nature of marriage. We have to give up all our rights so the minority can be accepted and let them change the rules of the game.

We have to give in to the bullies---well no thanks----I think the majority has spoken but who cares what the majority has to say. We have politicians that don't listen to us and will run over our rights to cater to the few loud mouths.

WELL THIS IS AN ELECTION YEAR AND THE MAJORITY CAN VOTE OUT THE BULLIES.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:30 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And I'll be glad to help any gay person who doesn't wish to remain gay find the resources that will help them out of that lifestyle and into a new life -- all done with dignity and respect and care for the individual.

You do realize, don't you, that there are a lot of very unhappy "gay" people who do not want to be gay?
Call it what you will, there are some who are confused about their sexuality. These people need the resources to help them get out of a lifestyle they feel trapped in.

All the talk about Exodus being a hate group - do you not realize that people who seek them out do so by *choice*? Nobody forces them.

Why not talk to some people who have been helped by Exodus and similar ministries to leave a life they didn't like to begin with but were drawn into?
Do you realize that Exodus just came out and said that they no longer support "conversion" therapy? They came out and said it is ineffective in 99.9% of cases.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This is the very reason people in traditional marriages are so stinking mad!!! We need to roll over and give up our marriages because the minority wants to change the meaning and nature of marriage. We have to give up all our rights so the minority can be accepted and let them change the rules of the game.

We have to give in to the bullies---well no thanks----I think the majority has spoken but who cares what the majority has to say. We have politicians that don't listen to us and will run over our rights to cater to the few loud mouths.

Huh?

I'm a white girl married to a white guy.

I think the current system of discrimination sucks.

What the hell does someone gay being married have to do with your marriage?

You stay in your marriage, and let everyone else stay in theirs.

Nobody has to redefine anything. Just quit being unfair to other people.

Is it unfair to you if gay people get to marry?

Nope.

It doesn't affect you in the slightest. It might **** you off because you disagree with homosexuality, but that's beside the point.

If gay people cannot get married is it fair to them?

Nope.

Is it fair to you? Why do we care what's fair to the people to whom the issue has no bearing?

I know that if they all could get married tomorrow, it would not change my own marriage in the slightest.

I would, however, get to attend many fabulous weddings.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:34 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Because there is no answer for it.

Given enough time, I'm sure that the Bible Thumpers will team up with their cronies The History Revisionists and change The Ten Commandments to The Eleven Commandments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you realize that Exodus just came out and said that they no longer support "conversion" therapy? They came out and said it is ineffective in 99.9% of cases.
It was all those messy suicides.

24,260 posts, read 14,236,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

I guess some Americans aren't very American. That whole equality thing gets in the way.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Given enough time, I'm sure that the Bible Thumpers will team up with their cronies The History Revisionists and change The Ten Commandments to The Eleven Commandments.
Ahh... yes!

Using the words of those famous Christian forefathers of our country to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies