Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 03:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,132,115 times

Advertisements

"Tebowing is a mockery of Christianity. Conservatives have perverted the Gospel."

Oh puleeeze! Tebow is a football player how he worships his god myth is his business. I have yet to see or of him pushing is religious beliefs on anyone. When he joins the political area instead of one for sports then we can start discussing what if anything he is making a mockery of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 03:43 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,791,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I am often astounded at the things that Republicans and Conservatives do and then claim to be Christian. They seem to think Christianity is all about flashy displays of faith, saying things like "God bless America", and reveling in worldly craze like the Tebowing spectacle. They believe in empowering the rich and powerful at the expense of the poor and the meek. They worship capitalism and place more value on money than on human life. They promote war over peace and hate over love.

Anyone who reads the bible and is knowledgeable of the scriptures would know that those are all clearly un-Christian behavior. In the scriptures, a follower of Christ (a Christian) is encouraged to forbid all things worldly (materialism, capitalism, the pursuit of money) and live by the teachings of Christ.

For example, a rich young man (who would likely be a Republican capitalist in today's world) once asked Jesus what he must do to be perfect in the eyes of God:

Matthew 19:21-22

In another well known scripture Jesus famously said:

Matthew 19:24

Certainly if Jesus was on earth today, Conservatives and Republicans would blast him as a Communist and seek to do away with him much like the Scribes and Pharisees of Biblical Israel.

The main themes of Jesus's teaching were: humility, faith in God, love, and empathy for those who are less fortunate in society. Jesus made it clear that Christianity is not about what you proclaim to be in public, but it's about how you live and how you treat others around you. Jesus was against prideful displays of faith in public.

He spoke at length about in in the following scripture:

Matthew 6:1-6

Therefore the act of "Tebowing" is clearly un-Christian. Those who do it are directly violating the teachings of Christ.

It doesn't stop there, there are countless Conservative beliefs and practices that are directly contradictory to the scriptures. I've yet to find any Republican or Conservative in America who fits the true definition of a Christian.

At the other extreme end are liberals like Bill Maher and the other anti-religious people on the left who are totally ignorant of Christianity. They think Christianity is a bad thing because of the behavior they see from the sinful hypocrites on the right who call themselves Christian. It's no different than painting the terrorists and all Muslims with the same brush.

It takes a lot to be a true Christian in an evil world like this. Many are called but few are chosen. Finding a true Christian today is like separating the wheat from the chaff.

Take it to the religion forum.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:45 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,569,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Tebowing is a mockery of Christianity. Conservatives have perverted the Gospel."

Oh puleeeze! Tebow is a football player how he worships his god myth is his business. I have yet to see or of him pushing is religious beliefs on anyone. When he joins the political area instead of one for sports then we can start discussing what if anything he is making a mockery of.
It is more than just Tebow himself, it is conservatives on a whole using him to exploit Christianity. There seems to be a huge disconnect between what conservatives do and believe and what the scriptures actually teach.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,018,364 times
Quote:
I don't hate him. I just don't like people perverting the good religion of Christianity to achieve their own ends. The scriptures say it is wrong to make prideful displays of faith in public for show. I didn't make that up. Jesus said it himself.
Having read a number of your posts you are one of the last people I'd consider a reliable source for advice or judgment on anything relating to Christianity.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,791,199 times
Quote:
It is more than just Tebow himself, it is conservatives on a whole using him to exploit Christianity. There seems to be a huge disconnect between what conservatives do and believe and what the scriptures actually teach.
Ummm you are a little obsessed. You seem to think all Christians are Conservatives and Conservatives claim Tebow as one of their own. Yet you have provided evidence of neither. Take this non sense to the religion boards.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:48 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,866,156 times
They take Tebowing a step further in the Phillipines. Someday a high school kid will have himself crucified on the goal post after scoring.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:53 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,569,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Having read a number of your posts you are one of the last people I'd consider a reliable source for advice or judgment on anything relating to Christianity.
I grew up the church. I have a strong Christian background. However I admit that my lifestyle today does not match up to the true meaning of Christianity hence I do not go around claiming to be a Christian anymore because my life no longer reflect the full teachings of Christ.

I find that Republicans even when they are flaming sinners will walk around claiming to be Christians. They do everything opposite to the teachings of Christ yet claim to be followers of Christ. They are blinding hypocrites... Jesus warned against people like that in the scriptures.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,215,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
They take Tebowing a step further in the Phillipines. Someday a high school kid will have himself crucified on the goal post after scoring.
Looks like something good for a half-time show at the Super Bowl.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,352,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They HATE him for wearing his love of Jesus on his sleeve, for all to see. They WANT him to fail, they WANT to bring him down, they despise him for his display of faith.

Tebowing.....down on bended knee has been happening for.......thousands of years.

"They" are everything wrong with this country.
Tim Tebow, Broncos Get Visit From Jesus During SNL Skit (VIDEO)

Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,308,242 times
I don't know. I do see your point regarding public displays of piety, but I don't think Tebow is doing it as some prideful display. He seems like a good kid. I do hate they way some are trying to make him out to be some right-wing poster boy, he seems to be staying out of politics himself. I say good for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies