Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is the same game they have been playing all year. This is what they are saying: comply to our demands or the taxpayer gets the bullet.

They are basically threatening to raise taxes unless the senate reps travel back to DC to agree with him.
Wrong again, there Finn. The House Republicans are not demanding that the Senate accede to their demands. Actually that's the Senate's posture at this point. Rather they are calling for a conference committee to work out a compromise between the House and Senate versions. It is Reid who is intransigent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I'll only say that I don't really care much for either party since I refuse to affiliate.

But the way the GOP has been acting, they are giving everyone every reason to hate them.
That's only because you either don't understand House and Senate procedure. Or you're swallowing the Dem party line, which the mainstream media is parroting.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
This is gonna cost repubs big. They are solely to blame for this. A bipartisan agreement was reached and house repubs said no. Good job Boner, shed a tear for America why don't ya.
A bipartisan agreement was reached in the Senate. The Senate doesn't control the House any more than the House controls the Senate. Wake up, will you!

Old 12-22-2011, 08:29 AM

4,428 posts, read 4,482,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The House rejected the bill because they want it to be a year and pay for it by making seniors pay more for Medicare coverage and cut spending for parts of Obama's health care overhaul law enacted last year. Democrats oppose both those provisions.

Shouldn't this be disregarded?

$10 a week?

Who the hell cares? And this is a big deal in American's minds?

Most working families get a refund at the end of the tax year.

I can't understand how stealing from Social Security is beneficial.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
old bob knows but he also knows what the Dems want to be the program and that is where he is looking. Just think about how many times Dirty Harry has bypassed the established method by declaring bills from the House, DOA, and not allowing the membership to consider them.

Think about Dirty Harry not being willing to pass a budget for over 3 years. He likes the way we have allowed Obama to keep spending without a real plan to control it. It makes me want to tear my hair out, if I had any, thinking about what has been going on and the games they have been playing.
Good point. In April the Republican House passed a budget and sent it on to the Senate. Reid never even brought it up for consideration. So let's draw an analogy to the current situation. What if the House had adjourned and gone home after passing its budget--just like Reid did after the Senate passed its version of the payroll tax extension? No continuing resolutions to keep operating the government. Sound irresponsible? Yup, and that's exactly the game Harry Reid is now playing.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Boehner and his Tea Party nutjobs are just playing political brinkmanship games in a cynical attempt to make it look like they care about the middle class.
I'm even beginning to wonder if brinkmanship is their motivation; it seems more and more like it's a symptom of something else. I think the bottom line is that they're terrified of facing the wraith of their master, Grover Norquist. They're afraid of losing a sure source of campaign support. They're afraid that if they dare to defy him, he'll support another, even nuttier, candidate from the fringe right, and in their own districts, the fringers might actually win.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Good point. In April the Republican House passed a budget and sent it on to the Senate. Reid never even brought it up for consideration. So let's draw an analogy to the current situation. What if the House had adjourned and gone home after passing its budget--just like Reid did after the Senate passed its version of the payroll tax extension? No continuing resolutions to keep operating the government. Sound irresponsible? Yup, and that's exactly the game Harry Reid is now playing.
Dude, seriously, cut the crap.

The overwhelming majority of the Senate - including most Republicans - supported Reid's compromise in the Senate. Over and done with. The point above doesn't count. It's just a bunch of horse crap used to deflect from the obvious fact that tea party wingers are nucking futs and ruining the country.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Shouldn't this be disregarded?

$10 a week?

Who the hell cares? And this is a big deal in American's minds?

Most working families get a refund at the end of the tax year.

I can't understand how stealing from Social Security is beneficial.
I'll try to break it down for you. I wish I had some crayons so I could simplify it by drawing some cute little illustrations or something, but I'll do my best with text.

Okay, here it is, mate. It's not the fact that republicans are not supporting a tax cut from social security, which I and other progressives agree is probably not well placed.

The issue is hypocrisy and dishonesty. Republicans say they're the party of less taxation, yet when it comes down to it, that's an obvious lie. They won't even support tax cuts for the poor and middle class that puts money right into their pockets. Not to mention, the tax cuts actually de-fund a program they'd rather not have in the first place. So those are two points that historically most Republicans like, say, Bob Dole would have supported in the past. But not today. Yet they turn right around and threaten the credit of the entire U.S. economy by insisting on no new taxes for the absolute wealthiest of Americans. It's the pure dishonesty of the Republican position. It's the unmitigated gall to lie to the public and to continue to see just how many lies the public will accept, to see just how many times the electorate can be kicked in the head before they finally awaken.

The Republicans are like looters in a riot. They know that they will eventually be chased off by an angry mob, but before they do, they're going to stuff whatever they can in their shirts and their pant pockets. They're absolutely disgusting. I spit on them.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The payroll tax cut will not make America right. Let it expire and go to funding SS like it should.
Exactly!!

It's a stupid political stunt by 0bama. Why he and the dems want to further defund Medicare and Social Security, I'll never know. They already drained $500 billion out of it, and now a few tens of billions more? For what purpose, to gain a throw away campaign line?? "I gave... every American... uhh... a tax cut"

Old 12-22-2011, 09:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
McConnell is now telling Boehner to pass the 2 month extension bill, then go to Conference. AKA, quit making the GOP look like idiots. Ooops, too late.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...yroll-tax-cut/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies