Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should This Boy Be Forced To Change His Shoes
Yes 29 31.18%
No 48 51.61%
Yes, But Only If Girls Are Forced To Change Shoes Also 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 PM

7,826 posts, read 6,415,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Lemme guess, you're basing that statement on the story from Morgan Hill? That's my region, and there were VERY clear reasons for not allowing any flags to be worn at that school... but if that is what you're referring to, I'd bet money you don't understand the history behind why they banned them.

Aside from that one example, I don't know of any schools that have banned clothing with American flags. I've been out of high school for a long time now (17 years), but I have worked in schools as recently as 2010 - and plenty of kids wore shirts with the American flag.
There is never a good a good reason for banning an American Flag T-Shirt within our own borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:59 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,194,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
NO one should be allowed to wear high heels in school!

Not even teachers.

NO one...it's STUPID!

High school is for EDUCATION.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,806,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
It's pretty obvious that this kid is playing drama queen just for attention. Notice how he approached his classmates as if he were some sort of a movie star or something.

The school district should make the kid take off the fancy shoes or face expulsion for a week or two to think about his actions.
Well, unless the school has a policy banning heels for everyone, if he gets expelled he can probably sue for discrimination.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,243,202 times
It's pretty sad that this young man has to cry out for attention like this.

I wonder what his problem(s) are?

Old 12-24-2011, 08:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,959,306 times
Hey folks, take a look at the boots the kid is wearing...they're clearly women's boots. So, why doesn't the school(s) just have a policy that states males cannot wear female clothing and visa-versa? And any student that violates the policy will face disciplinary action...cut and dry.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 PM

4,421 posts, read 6,279,332 times
They are shoes. That's it...shoes. If someone is going to let footwear distract them from learning algebra, they need to be in a Special Needs class.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:07 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,581,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I disagree. I, too, like gizmo, grew up in the 80s and we wore some crazy ass sh*t back then. It did not interfere with our school work or studies. I don't believe in stifling kids being able to express their creativity or in finding their individuality.

If everyone looks the same, sure, they learn from books but they learn NOTHING about socializing with people they wouldn't normally socialize with, they wouldn't learn about tolerance and acceptance or how to get over it when someone wears something they don't like or looks different than they do...there's more to learning than just what's in the books.

I'm against school uniforms in public schools.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. I grew up in the 80s-90s as well and I wore a school uniform from kindergarten all the way through high school. It did not stifle my creativity/individuality nor that of any of my friends/classmates. In addition, 98% of my graduating (which was about 75% minority, over 50% African American) class was accepted to 4-year universities.

There is a major problem in the public school systems nationwide and they may benefit from establishing some of the high educational standards of many private schools in order to break the cycle of underachievement. The attire of other students can be and is a distraction to the process of learning.

The priority needs to be placed back on creating an environment where these children can learn. The rest of this nonsense about kids being able to express their individuality is nothing more than a smoke screen for lax educational standards. These kids need to be worrying more about making the grade than strutting on campus rocking the hottest outfit.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 PM

37,162 posts, read 42,333,240 times
This would have been a complete non issue at my kids HS and probably over before anyone outside of school heard about it. IMO he can wear them if he can take the comments of teachers and other students without complaint. End of story.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:09 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,127,948 times
With all the problems in the world I am constantly amazed about the things people worry about that are none of their darned business.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:17 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,076,278 times
I don't think high heels should be allowed in school but if they allow it for girls, they have to allow it for boys too.

Gravy, Goose, Gander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies