Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should This Boy Be Forced To Change His Shoes
Yes 29 31.18%
No 48 51.61%
Yes, But Only If Girls Are Forced To Change Shoes Also 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 09:46 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,784,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Hey folks, take a look at the boots the kid is wearing...they're clearly women's boots. So, why doesn't the school(s) just have a policy that states males cannot wear female clothing and visa-versa? And any student that violates the policy will face disciplinary action...cut and dry.
And how does one determine whether something is clearly male or female clothing? Can girls not wear pants?

You're getting into rather tricky subjectivity here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 11:39 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,912 times
It's stupid. It's simply just for attention. There is nothing wrong with it. If it's a matter of safety (which high heels aren't really the safest shoe lol), then it has to be for the girls too.

But with that being said, what's crazy about our society is that.. this will be ok (and again, I don't care if a man is in high heels), BUT, it'll be a problem if someone rolls their eyes at him, or laughs, or doesn't want to be his friend. That will be "Bullying", a new tagline for 2011.

People tend to forget "Freedom of Speech AND expression". You want to express yourself? You are free to do so, however, people are free to speak up about how they feel. Why is it "wrong" if someone states they are uncomfortable around him? That's exactly what will happen. There will be all sorts of accommodations and special needs for this person. This is why I am so ashamed for my future as a gay person. We are going to have people kissing our asses, being SO afraid to offend us. (See: Whites with Blacks today).

For everyone that says it's not a big deal -- you are right. But tell me: Are you willing to say it's OK if other kids laugh, or roll their eyes, or don't want to be around this person? Yeah, now tell me "Well, it's different, because....____"

Old 12-24-2011, 11:49 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,941,788 times
Most schools don't allow girls to even wear high heels.. Why should a boy be allowed to.. It is dangerous in a school environment.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:52 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,374,090 times
As long as we have socialized health care, I'd say ban all high heels. I'm not having my taxes go up to pay for a bunch of ankle and foot surgeries caused by these 'assault-style' shoes.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:23 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,953,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And how does one determine whether something is clearly male or female clothing? Can girls not wear pants?

You're getting into rather tricky subjectivity here.
Female students must wear skirts or dress. Male students must wear slacks. Heel of male shoes cannot exceed 1/4 inch, females heels cannot exceed 2 inches. Outside of normal school hours, they can wear whatever they choose. There's no grey area.

Last edited by dorado0359; 12-25-2011 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 12-25-2011, 11:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,784,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Female students must wear skirts or dress. Male students must wear slacks. Heel of male shoes cannot exceed 1/4 inch, females heels cannot exceed 2 inches. Outside of normal school hours, they can wear whatever they choose. There's no grey area.
Why should girls have to wear dresses and skirts? What is this, the 1900s?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:23 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Then we will have to agree to disagree. I grew up in the 80s-90s as well and I wore a school uniform from kindergarten all the way through high school. It did not stifle my creativity/individuality nor that of any of my friends/classmates. In addition, 98% of my graduating (which was about 75% minority, over 50% African American) class was accepted to 4-year universities.

There is a major problem in the public school systems nationwide and they may benefit from establishing some of the high educational standards of many private schools in order to break the cycle of underachievement. The attire of other students can be and is a distraction to the process of learning.

The priority needs to be placed back on creating an environment where these children can learn. The rest of this nonsense about kids being able to express their individuality is nothing more than a smoke screen for lax educational standards. These kids need to be worrying more about making the grade than strutting on campus rocking the hottest outfit.
Good points.

I think this story is a perfect example of what's wrong with our public schools today. This guy is going to school to make a scene, to bring attention to himself, but also many girls are going to school looking like street walkers on the prowl because school no longer is about an education.

That's why other countries are surpassing us in education and very dramatically. School here is nothing but a big play-time. It's all about "me, me, everybody look at me", and not an education.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,360,180 times
From what I saw on the news it was a safety policy of the school to ban steletos because of stairs and it went for girls too.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:03 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,332,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
If tomboys can wear baggy jeans and jordans, then I guess boys wearing girly heels won't be too far of a stretch. And punkers wear finger-nail polish, although it's only in the color black and I guess that what makes it not look so girlish. Personally, I think he is looking fabulous in those heels.[pun intended]

PS- Prince wore heels
But Prince is weird. I wouldn't use him as an example!

Old 12-25-2011, 04:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,009,063 times
He should be forced to change into regular shoes.

Its a distraction & is purposely trying to cause controversy IMO.

Schools these days have dress codes & he is probably in violation of whats written in the rule book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies