Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 01:05 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,259,818 times

Advertisements

The best part of this opinion piece is that although the GOP seems to have lost this payroll argument, they are still left with the opportunity to prove to the elated voters of this nation that 2 months is less than enough for businesses to plan for and maybe the original 1 year would have been more sensible.

I still say that the money handed to the taxpayers for two months will come from the Treasury since that money that doesn't come from the money that would have been paid into the Treasury by workers. Yes, I do believe that they have time to educate the Democrat base about what is going on.

Charles Krauthammer: The GOP payroll tax debacle, or Merry Christmas, President Obama - San Jose Mercury News

Here is a from the left an opinion piece about how much the Democrats have gained from that foolish law. Not one mention of more time than 2 months being better. Only mention of how Obama and his Party have gained from the way this one played out. I guess Creamer doesn't think the people of this nation are smart enough to eventually see that no real advantage for them has been realized.

Those who don't know about the improvement of Obama's poll results could see, if they want to, that Rasmussen's Daily Poll shows him improving from -20 last week to -13 Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 01:53 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,419 times
The {R}s looked there usual awful and like there counterpart the {D}s they have no principle and are hypocrites. Take where their leadership said that the tax cuts had to be payed for, that was never ever their ideology. If you recall with a tax cut the gvt takes in more revenue and it pays for itself, that is the mantra right Roy?

The other show of their hypocrisy is being against the cut for only for 2 months since it brings un certainty to the private sector. But awhile back they made the argument that the Bush tax cuts should be permanent and a 1 year extension adds uncertainty to the private sector. Do you get it? they do not know what they believe is it 2 months or is it a year.

The {D}s are no better, Obama willingly extended the Bush tax cuts and said the economy was too fragile for him not to do so. That is a out right admission that raising taxes would slow the economy even more. Then later he still chirps about raising taxes on those making 250k a year. But the {D}s never sent him a bill the whole 2 years they controlled congress.

Both parties use the present day tax code to keep the duped masses divided against each other. The new trick now is you can not tell who the tax cutters are from the raisers. Both Obama and the {R}s can go out on the campaign trail and say they are for tax cuts. I just wonder how long our country will spend arguring over the tax code? Leadership is solving a problem and moving on to the next one.

That is what we should do, scrap the Marxist system and stop using the same old drama year after year.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
The GOP's payroll debacle, or Merry Christmas, Obama

The GOP and Obama BOTH wanted a 1 year extension... We got 2 months..

Looks like a Democratic flop if you ask me

Old 12-25-2011, 04:58 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,798,777 times
The payroll tax reduction should not be extended. The payroll tax cap should be eliminated as well. Social Security is an important program and the consequences of tens of millions of retirees without Social Security and insufficient funds to support them in retirement is not in our national interest.

It is unfortunate that election politics are more important than making the right decisions for the people. The Democrats knew this in the summer of 2008 with an impending collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as well as key financial institutions. It is apparent that they turned a deaf ear because they knew a financial disaster was just what was needed to move Obama over McCain.

Both sides are playing the same game and the losers are the American people.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:05 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
The GOP wanted to extend this by one year. The Democrats would only do it for 2 months. Seems like a GOP win to me.

If the Democrats would ever get around to passing a budget, like their jobs require, we wouldn't have to go through all this budget crap every couple of months. Why republicans don't hammer that home to people I will never figure out.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:11 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times
Of course it comes from the treasury.

It blows my god damn mind that we bicker over 100 billion or so going to the middle class from the treasury...

But if.banks want untold trillions from the treasury, hey, no problem.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:15 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
When the House deep sixes a bill, and passes it two days later, the House ends up looking like idiots, and that tag goes to the party controlling the House.

This may help JB long-term as the next time the Tea Babies rant and rave, her can rub their nose in last weekend, saying "I told you so, and that is why I supported it as soon as McConnell was on board.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
The {R}s looked there usual awful and like there counterpart the {D}s they have no principle and are hypocrites. Take where their leadership said that the tax cuts had to be payed for, that was never ever their ideology. If you recall with a tax cut the gvt takes in more revenue and it pays for itself, that is the mantra right Roy?

The other show of their hypocrisy is being against the cut for only for 2 months since it brings un certainty to the private sector. But awhile back they made the argument that the Bush tax cuts should be permanent and a 1 year extension adds uncertainty to the private sector. Do you get it? they do not know what they believe is it 2 months or is it a year.

The {D}s are no better, Obama willingly extended the Bush tax cuts and said the economy was too fragile for him not to do so. That is a out right admission that raising taxes would slow the economy even more. Then later he still chirps about raising taxes on those making 250k a year. But the {D}s never sent him a bill the whole 2 years they controlled congress.

Both parties use the present day tax code to keep the duped masses divided against each other. The new trick now is you can not tell who the tax cutters are from the raisers. Both Obama and the {R}s can go out on the campaign trail and say they are for tax cuts. I just wonder how long our country will spend arguring over the tax code? Leadership is solving a problem and moving on to the next one.

That is what we should do, scrap the Marxist system and stop using the same old drama year after year.
It appears that you are like too many people about this last bit of foolishness. This whole thing is not about tax cuts but about taking money from the Social Security system that will require that they pay for SS out of the General Fund which is supposed to be made up of taxes of all kinds not just income tax.

The thing that chaps me about this recent round of games is that too many people do not understand that this extension is of the cut on Social Security taxes. Now when people begin to understand that the Congress has been brazenly spending what was called the SS surplus each year some truth may seep in. In the early 50s they started using that "surplus" to pay for money to give to various countries in the form of foreign aid. They continued that trick for some time and it had become habit before they paid as many counties in aid.

What has happened is that they "borrowed" that money from the SS Trust Fund and replaced it with IOUs. Since they have spent over $3 trillion that way they owe the people on SS that much money. How do they find that money to repay? When SS taxes failed to bring in enough to pay for the year they realized that the "surplus" just wasn't there anymore. That money can never be repaid and after one year of charging people over 2% less than they should have we are off doing the same thing for 2 months and then will fight it out to make that 12 months.

Do you see what they are doing to the SS system playing their little political games? The Dems are trying to use this game to win votes in November and the Repbubs are trying to do the opposite for the Dems. It really gripes me that people can't see what is going on.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The GOP's payroll debacle, or Merry Christmas, Obama

The GOP and Obama BOTH wanted a 1 year extension... We got 2 months..

Looks like a Democratic flop if you ask me
If one reads Krauthammer and then Creamer he can see how the right and left need to stop all that crap. Creamer's piece failed to mention any part of it other than that the Dems are gaining polling points from this thing. Obama gained 7 points in the Rasmussen Daily Presidential poll and has slipped down from -20 last week to -13 on Saturday.

The Dems have scored many points from this and I am not sure enough voters will see what has happened before November. Unless something really different happens to enlighten the voters I think the GOP shot their whole foot off.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The payroll tax reduction should not be extended. The payroll tax cap should be eliminated as well. Social Security is an important program and the consequences of tens of millions of retirees without Social Security and insufficient funds to support them in retirement is not in our national interest.

It is unfortunate that election politics are more important than making the right decisions for the people. The Democrats knew this in the summer of 2008 with an impending collapse of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac as well as key financial institutions. It is apparent that they turned a deaf ear because they knew a financial disaster was just what was needed to move Obama over McCain.

Both sides are playing the same game and the losers are the American people.
You have said it about as well as can be done. The Dems continue to howl about keeping Social Security and yet they passed that law about a year ago to cut the amount people paid and paid no attention to the fact that it lessened the amount of money available to we of the retired group. With the average voter failing to see what is going on they have pitched this 2 months as a very good thing. I wonder how big the pile of red numbers will be for SS this year.

I just explained to another poster what has caused the real problem and this is maybe winning them some votes, but only from people who aren't smart enough to see that this is not talking about taxes but about SS taxes which just can't be raised and lowered with intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies