Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 01:31 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times

Advertisements

In 2010, Germany produced more than 5.5 million automobiles; the U.S produced 2.7 million. At the same time, the average auto worker in Germany made $67.14 per hour in salary in benefits; the average one in the U.S. made $33.77 per hour. Here's the link to the article:

How Germany Builds Twice as Many Cars as the U.S. While Paying Its Workers Twice as Much - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 01:33 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,451,300 times
Ummmm, you're able to do that when your products are good. German made cars are WAYYYYY better than anything American made the last several years. They also cost A LOT more!

Old 12-27-2011, 01:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Ummmm, you're able to do that when your products are good. German made cars are WAYYYYY better than anything American made the last several years. They also cost A LOT more!
It's the combination of a good business model and economic patriotism moreso than quality. Germans don't want their streets filled with unemployed people just to save a buck by producing in Bulgaria...or some other cheap European backwater.

Italians have a fairly healthy auto industry too, and so does France. Neither produces a particularly high quality practical automobile.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:37 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's the combination of a good business model and economic patriotism moreso than quality. Germans don't want their streets filled with unemployed people just to save a buck by producing in Bulgaria...or some other cheap European backwater.

Italians have a fairly healthy auto industry too, and so does France. Neither produces a particularly high quality practical automobile.

No, but they do beleive in supporting their own economy.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:38 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
I can tell you exactly why that is:

Last year, I was in the market for a new car. I did not want an SUV nor a truck. Instead, I wanted either a sedan or a station wagon. A station wagon would have suited my needs perfectly: It handles like a car, gets about the same milage, and still has plenty of space to move stuff around. Ideally, I would have purchased an American vehicle.

Thus, I went on a very lengthy mission to see and try just about every single large and mid-size sedan along with all the station wagons currently available (there are very slim pickings, let me tell you.) I also tried out a few SUV's and trucks but quickly noticed that their horrendous gas milage was a deal breaker for me.

Not a single US sedan provided me with value for my money - they felt incredibly cheap (Chevy was, by far, the worst). I looked at the new Buick's (I don't care that they are perceived as old people's cars) and actually liked the LaCrosse. Unfortunately, Buick has sacrificed utility for aesthetics and backing the vehicle up without the built-in camera was a nightmare.

In the end, I ended up purchasing a German station wagon - because most German car manufacturers had them available - from BMW to Mercedes to VW. They also provided a quality interior and a fantastic ride at a much more reasonable price than anyone else.

And that's how Germany sold yet another car in the US.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's the combination of a good business model and economic patriotism moreso than quality.

Dude, Germany sells their cars to RICH people! Get it? They cost a ton more than what many could afford for a damn car. So add it up, they sell twice as many for twice the damn cost. Where's the mystery here?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Hm, wanna compare a VW Passat to a Chevy or Buick and tell me which one costs more?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I can tell you exactly why that is:

Last year, I was in the market for a new car. I did not want an SUV nor a truck. Instead, I wanted either a sedan or a station wagon. A station wagon would have suited my needs perfectly: It handles like a car, gets about the same milage, and still has plenty of space to move stuff around. Ideally, I would have purchased an American vehicle.

Thus, I went on a very lengthy mission to see and try just about every single large and mid-size sedan along with all the station wagons currently available (there are very slim pickings, let me tell you.) I also tried out a few SUV's and trucks but quickly noticed that their horrendous gas milage was a deal breaker for me.

Not a single US sedan provided me with value for my money - they felt incredibly cheap (Chevy was, by far, the worst). I looked at the new Buick's (I don't care that they are perceived as old people's cars) and actually liked the LaCrosse. Unfortunately, Buick has sacrificed utility for aesthetics and backing the vehicle up without the built-in camera was a nightmare.

In the end, I ended up purchasing a German station wagon - because most German car manufacturers had them available - from BMW to Mercedes to VW. They also provided a quality interior and a fantastic ride at a much more reasonable price than anyone else.

And that's how Germany sold yet another car in the US.
Dude, really? A BMW or Mercedes at a more reasonable price than an American car? LMAO! Hell, VW's are more expensive than most US made cars, and more expensive to fix/maintain.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
No, but they do beleive in supporting their own economy.
Yep. They do, we don't.

It's as simple as that. Germans could close plants and move production to other nations just like we do. But they aren't dirtbag corporatists like we have here. They've found a way to make nice profits, provide generous benefits to their employees, pay their taxes, and keep a clean country filled with happy long term employees. They also look beyond the next quarter's profit sheets.

That's the kind of stuff that makes American CEO's heads explode.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Their cars cost quite a bit more than American and there are a lot of people who cannot afford that kind of a price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies