Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Empathy: Strength or Weakness?
Strength 123 83.67%
Weakness 24 16.33%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 01:25 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Refer back to the democrat on c-d comparing people to rats.

I can refer you to an adult literacy program, if you like.
I said even rats have empathy, and we can do better than rats.

Clueless.......absolutely clueless.

(I wonder if rats are right with God, what with it being impossible to have empathy otherwise.)
Quote:
How can we have empathy without making sure that our own soul is intact and
making sure we are right with God? My biggest problem is with liberals and
their "empathy" without a soul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:23 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Alright, I'm going to turn this thread all ugly with Bill Clinton's statement: "Ah feel your pain".

It was truly a falsity for pandering.

Playing by the numbers, enough people bought it that it accomplished its objective.

Dick Cheney would not have gotten far with that ployed statement.

Bill's a salesman.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
You are clearly delusional if you think those on welfare are just a bunch of spoiled takers
what the hell are you talking about?

Old 05-21-2014, 11:34 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
what the hell are you talking about?
The truth, can you please provide a reasonable answer?

Old 05-21-2014, 12:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You seem to be confusing the ability to empathize with what particular action is taken. They are separate.

Empathy
Empathy is the capacity to recognize emotions that are being experienced by another sentient or fictional being. One may need to have a certain amount of empathy before being able to experience accurate sympathy or compassion.
Not confused at all. I can empathize with someone who is poor, I once was myself. I grew up poor. If over developed a sense of societal guilt takes over.
In this case our actions as a nation demonstrates a certain amount of empathy for the less fortunate. How far should our actions go? Should we never questing the reason why some are less fortunate? Should we never question how they use our generosity?
Many post that as a nation we lack empathy towards the less fortunate. Blaming society for those who live at the bottom.
Many are poor through now fault of their own and many are poor as a direct result of their own actions. I can empathize with those teen moms who have no family to help them and an unplanned child to care for. I don't empathize with those moms with 5 kids from 5 different fathers.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:26 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Does the United States provide Section 8 housing? YES
Does the united states provide foodstamps? Yes
Spending money? YesProvide health care for the poor? Yes
Welfare? Yes
Is it understandable that some might question how the money is distributed? I think so.
We even provide cell phones to those who qualify.
AS I said in an earlier post Empathy can be both a strength or a weakness. If it is over developed then you destined to be used and abused. If lacking you are no better than a social path.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
You seem to be confusing the ability to empathize with what particular action is taken. They are separate.

Empathy
Empathy is the capacity to recognize emotions that are being experienced by another sentient or fictional being. One may need to have a certain amount of empathy before being able to experience accurate sympathy or compassion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not confused at all. I can empathize with someone who is poor, I once was myself. I grew up poor. If over developed a sense of societal guilt takes over.
In this case our actions as a nation demonstrates a certain amount of empathy for the less fortunate. How far should our actions go? Should we never questing the reason why some are less fortunate? Should we never question how they use our generosity?
Many post that as a nation we lack empathy towards the less fortunate. Blaming society for those who live at the bottom.
Many are poor through now fault of their own and many are poor as a direct result of their own actions. I can empathize with those teen moms who have no family to help them and an unplanned child to care for. I don't empathize with those moms with 5 kids from 5 different fathers.
My comment simply addressed your statement. You are implying behavior and outcomes. These are separate from the development of an ability.

The perception of a strength or weakness is, of course, a perception based on a comparison. Empathy is simply an ability. Your statement seemed to be blurring lines based on personal extrapolations.

Words like blame or fault are highly subjective biased words. One is delving into a psychological belief system here. There is never a time when when one does not have to deal with consequences of thoughts and actions taken.

I do understand the point you are intending, but clarity is important.

Last edited by CDusr; 05-21-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Because the country has a long history of high mobility between classes, many people who enjoy financial success today HAVE been in the shoes of the lowest or second-lowest economic quintile. I believe these people have great empathy for anyone who is trying to make something of themselves.

However, toward those who are able but unwilling to do the things that successful people do, there isn't much empathy, or pity. And when the hue and cry for handouts arises, there is scorn.

Just my opinion, based on what I've seen. When I was poor and struggling to improve my position, great kindness was extended to me by successful people who had faith that I would climb the ladder. And that is getting paid forward, every day, by me.
Unwilling things successful people do like being born in a family with money that can provide them a good upbringing and education. Sure some poor people can improve their position but that does in no way prove anyone who is poor can.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:14 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,317 times
Acting empathetic to people who are good, pure people with good hearts is a strength.

Showing empathy to people who take advantage of kindness , and are self centered is a weakness.

Treat good people the best you can. Avoid bad people at all costs..if you must deal with them treat them twice as bad as they would attempty to treat you!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:45 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
So as a society, are we becoming less empathetic?
Possibly Yes, considering, for instance, that "trickle-down" economics appears to be more popular and/or widespread than it was, say, 35 years ago.

Personally, though, I view empathy as a strength, since I think that one should always try visualizing oneself in someone else's shoes before passing judgment on someone, condemning someone, and/or et cetera.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:46 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Avoid bad people at all costs..if you must deal with them treat them twice as bad as they would attempty to treat you!
Well, it depends on what kind of bad people we are talking about here. Still, even for some of them, it might be worth it to initially try being nice to them. At least if they treat you like douches, then you will have a good reason to respond to them in the same way/manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies