Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

This is not good for California. Their total population is 1/8 of the nations total yet they have 33% of the nations welfare recipients living there.

There's lots of cuts going on but the welfare in CA is just too attractive even with the cuts.

Nation's largest welfare state makes deep cuts (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2011/12/28/state/n103700S74.DTL&type=politics - broken link)
Advocates of welfare reform in California often cite one, eye-popping statistic as they have pressed for cuts and changes to the program in recent years: The state has one-eighth of the nation's population but one-third of all welfare recipients.
The main reason California has such a high percentage of the nation's welfare cases is because it is one of the few states that continue to provide welfare checks for children once their parents are no longer eligible.
About three-quarters of California's welfare recipients are children age 18 and younger.
California's relatively high cost of living and its large number of low-wage jobs make it difficult for residents to make ends meet, she said. By 2009, California saw 1.3 million apply for state assistance, and the number has continued to climb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Doesn't matter to me what state has the highest number of recipients. Just means that they've been hit harder out there.

Just seems like everyone gets a buzz off of kicking Californians around.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:28 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,940,832 times
Wow. A perfect example of what decades of liberal governance will do to a state.

I say push all the illegals and welfare queens over there.

My birth state, glad I got out when I did, can't imagine ever going back. The democrats have ruined that state.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL - about 1,000 times more people on this forum get a bigger buzz off of kicking Texans around.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Had to laugh at this:

Quote:
California's relatively high cost of living and its large number of low-wage jobs
California, the welfare capital of the United States....

Has a nice ring to it...

Old 12-29-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter to me what state has the highest number of recipients. Just means that they've been hit harder out there.

Hey..it was an AP article and CA happens to be #1 welfare state in the nation. But go ahead..ignore the message and go after the messenger instead.

If so much "doesn't matter to you" why do you bother posting in so many threads that whatever the topic is it "doesn't matter to you" ?

Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM

There is a deeper message though. You'd think if you were on welfare you'd want to live in the lowest cost state right ? But CA continues welfare payments even after the 60 months (now 48) if you have kids. That's what makes it attractive even though it's a high cost state and jobs are hard to find.

The program itself is attracting welfare families in spite of the high COL.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Hey..it was an AP article and CA happens to be #1 welfare state in the nation. But go ahead..ignore the message and go after the messenger instead.

If so much "doesn't matter to you" why do you bother posting in so many threads that whatever the topic is it "doesn't matter to you" ?
Because i feel like it. Anymore questions?

And you aren't hurting my feelings by putting down California. I don't live there. I mean, you're not the messenger. You're just posting an article.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Because i feel like it. Anymore questions?

And you aren't hurting my feelings by putting down California. I don't live there. I mean, you're not the messenger. You're just posting an article.
So any bad news about any state is "putting it down" ? Point out in any of MY posts here where I put down CA or rejoiced that they are the #1 welfare state.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So any bad news about any state is "putting it down" ? Point out in any of MY posts here where I put down CA or rejoiced that they are the #1 welfare state.
You're rejoicing right now.

As far as number one welfare state, i aint so sure about that. Depends on how you define welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies