Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 11:21 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Adam Smith didn't attach a number, true. But he didn't exactly profess "flat tax", in fact quite the opposite. But as someone fortunate enough to experience being in top 5%, and having seen the parents struggle through at lower middle class incomes, I can tell you that it is sheer idiocy to assume that an additional 4% in top marginal rate income is a curse on the rich whereas pushing for ALL to pay the same tax rate is greatness.
That's your opinion only, and it certainly isn't everyone paying their fair share.

Do you want everyone to pay their fair share, or not?

Quote:
That is how progressive taxation is supposed to work.
So, the left really doesn't want everyone to pay their fair share, despite their continuous purposely deceitful claims otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2011, 11:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's your opinion only, and it certainly isn't everyone paying their fair share.
Obviously not. Most of us weren't really concerned about "fair share" when the federal receipts tallied $2.7 Trillion (in today's dollars), about ten years ago, and weren't running deficits. Then came the second blow to the redistribution plan, promising a pay off of the debt by 2010. Yeah, that went well. Fair share... my foot.

Quote:
So, the left really doesn't want everyone to pay their fair share, despite their continuous purposely deceitful claims otherwise.
Fair share is a lot more than paying income tax to the US government. But leave it to the leftists like me to recognize that.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Obviously not. Most of us weren't really concerned about "fair share" when the federal receipts tallied $2.7 Trillion (in today's dollars), about ten years ago, and weren't running deficits. Then came the second blow to the redistribution plan, promising a pay off of the debt by 2010. Yeah, that went well. Fair share... my foot.
I agree. The middle class wasn't paying their fair share then, either.

Quote:
Fair share is a lot more than paying income tax to the US government. But leave it to the leftists like me to recognize that.
Every income earner pays their fair share (the same tax rate) for Social Security (benefits are CAPPED, which matches the CAPPED tax) and Medicare (neither tax nor benefits are capped). Everyone pays their fair share in property tax; everyone within the same taxing boundary is taxed at the same rate.

Where we have a problem is the federal income tax. Not everyone pays their fair share. A flat tax rate would fix that. Earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT. Some would still be paying MANY TIMES MORE than others for the exact same government benefits and services. Why isn't that good enough for you? Why don't you want everyone to pay their fair share?

Old 12-30-2011, 12:43 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,221 times
Quote:

Every income earner pays their fair share (the same tax rate) for Social Security (benefits are CAPPED, which matches the CAPPED tax) and Medicare (neither tax nor benefits are capped). Everyone pays their fair share in property tax; everyone within the same taxing boundary is taxed at the same rate.

Where we have a problem is the federal income tax. Not everyone pays their fair share. A flat tax rate would fix that. Earn very little; pay very little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT. Some would still be paying MANY TIMES MORE than others for the exact same government benefits and services. Why isn't that good enough for you? Why don't you want everyone to pay their fair share?
Some think that fairness is impacted by difficulty in paying and not for the price of service rendered. Go into a restaurant, my meal price is the same as someone elses. However, it seems like my Govt services allotted to me cost me alot more than others....and I am still told that I need to pay more (fair share) for the same services as my neighbor...

Old 12-30-2011, 12:46 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
When people complain about taxes... as in that "Taxed Enough Already" group that showed up with quite a passion a few years ago, and likely to show up again at election time... why were they lying about it? Or, are these the "rich folks" talking?

And if people weren't paying enough taxes to begin with, why did the republicans push for tax cuts? I've even heard the claims that most of these tax cuts primarily went to the lower and middle class income groups... was the idea to complain about them later? I believe you're among those who maintains that belief, BTW.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Some think that fairness is impacted by difficulty in paying and not for the price of service rendered.
I have no idea why that is. Why should those who've successfully and efficiently managed their lives (including making sacrifices and working hard towards carefully selected and achieved goals) subsidize those who repetitively make bad decisions and bad life choices?

Why incentivize bad behavior and bad decisions? Is the 3 to 1 birth rate of those receiving public assistance to those who actually support themselves not evidence enough that subsidizing those who make bad decisions encourages EVEN MORE of that behavior?

Quote:
Go into a restaurant, my meal price is the same as someone elses. However, it seems like my Govt services allotted to me cost me alot more than others....and I am still told that I need to pay more (fair share) for the same services as my neighbor...
Our current federal income tax structure incentivizes sloth and irresponsibilty and penalizes sacrifice, diligence, and success. That's why we're seeing an exponential growth in the former coupled with a significant decline in the latter.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
When people complain about taxes... as in that "Taxed Enough Already" group that showed up with quite a passion a few years ago, and likely to show up again at election time... why were they lying about it? Or, are these the "rich folks" talking?
They're not lying. It's very likely they're paying MORE than the 51% of income earners who pay no federal income tax whatsoever yet still receive the same government services.

Quote:
And if people weren't paying enough taxes to begin with, why did the republicans push for tax cuts? I've even heard the claims that most of these tax cuts primarily went to the lower and middle class income groups... was the idea to complain about them later? I believe you're among those who maintains that belief, BTW.
The idea was to bribe the recipients for votes, much like the Democrats have done for decades. Same with Bush's Medicare Part D. More freebie bennies for the masses, but disastrously fiscally irresponsible.

Old 12-30-2011, 03:09 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
My bad... I thought you'd your first cup of coffee when I posted a rebuttal to the idiocy you would cling onto using a link YOU provided. Not that I'm not fearful of qualifying as an insane with yet another attempt to present you with facts...

Your claim...

Debunked here...

Then you come with as logical response as a unicorn in reality...

Then you presented this beauty for a counter argument... well, as good as a typical right wing argument gets to be here at C-D...

But I admired your willingness to admit the fallacy you previously held, from revenue increased (above) to revenue was unchanged (here).

Only to realize now, that the admiration of positive signs of you being in touch with the reality and admittance... was expecting too much.

Ok so to recap, you belive top marginal rates were not Lowered.

You don't believe revenue was unchanged.

You grasp on reality was more tenuous than I first suspected.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies