Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM

840 posts, read 781,982 times

Advertisements

No. Only person who should be discussing these things with their kids should be parents anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Here is how I come down on it. I am in my 60's, so I've seen the transition in attitudes evolve. I know many gay people my age who I would consider the same as the "colored people" who lived through the civil rights era. They are scarred, and I feel for them.
The way the question is worded bothers me. I would not "teach that homosexuality is normal and natural", but I would teach respect for differences.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:30 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,785,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Go screw whatever, who cares?
Religion doesn't come into this as to why it is completely unnatural.

Married as a couple in life is different IMO. If you take a couple of same sex people every time there is no offspring without Dr. Frankenstein and the coupling ends in death with no future for mankind, therefor totally unnatural no matter what explanations are grabbed out to try and normalize it.
Do you realize how stupid it sounds to keep saying something is unnatural when it is a universal phenomenon within nature?

Computers and skyscrapers are unnatural. Homosexuality is quite natural.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:33 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,767,865 times
Look, my oldest daughter asked me what "gay people" meant in fifth grade. I explained to her that it was when a girl and a girl or a guy and a guy are together instead of a girl and guy. At that age she didn't ask if it were right or wrong, natural or unnatural.
About a week later she asked if we knew any gay people and I told her we did and gave her the names of the ones we know.
I will not judge people like that. I prefer to take people one at a time and judge individual people rather than groups. Who am I to say that someone else's lifestyle is wrong if it works for them. It doesn't affect me one bit.
That is what I teach my kids.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,288,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
The ability to have children is not a pre-requisite of a 'natural' relationship.
In nature two of the same sex can't produce offspring and if all were gay everything would be dead in a generation, so gay isn't a normal condition.

To have that promoted as NORMAL or NATURAL in school to young impressionable children should be a crime. It should not be championed by the school as anything more than the way some people are.
Leave the complicated social issues at that tender age away from children. They get confused enough and don't need some gay tolerance person teaching fisting as was caught on tape a few years back in schools. Leave the kids alone.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,112,399 times
Quote:
In nature two of the same sex can't produce offspring and if all were gay everything would be dead in a generation, so gay isn't a normal condition.

To have that promoted as NORMAL or NATURAL in school to young impressionable children should be a crime. It should not be championed by the school as anything more than the way some people are.
Leave the complicated social issues at that tender age away from children. They get confused enough and don't need some gay tolerance person teaching fisting as was caught on tape a few years back in schools. Leave the kids alone.

It's a good thing that we're all not gay then. That said, it's still both natural and normal.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM

434 posts, read 685,231 times
Quote:
Go screw whatever, who cares?
Religion doesn't come into this as to why it is completely unnatural.

Married as a couple in life is different IMO. If you take a couple of same sex people every time there is no offspring without Dr. Frankenstein and the coupling ends in death with no future for mankind, therefor totally unnatural no matter what explanations are grabbed out to try and normalize it.
And if humankind ceased to exist, who would be the first to complain? The Earth would continue to spin. The plants would still grow. The animals would still do their animal thing. But I digress, so I will try to get back on track.

When I garden, I typically plant more than one seed for each plant I want to grow, knowing that some seeds won't produce any plants. The fact that some seeds don't grow doesn't mean that the act is unnatural; it means that somewhere in the process something didn't work. When two straight people have sex, if a child is not conceived, it is because something in the process didn't work--e.g., it wasn't the women's time, the man was sterile, etc.,etc. If all straight people having sex had something that didn't work every time, humankind would cease to exist, but the act of these people having sex wouldn't be unnatural.

Connecting sexual acts to procreation, exclusively, is what doesn't make sense. Humans are naturally sexual creatures, but we are also designed to survive. If every time in human history a person who had a sexual desire had unprotected sex so that procreation was possible, then so many people would have been born that the Earth's resources would have been exhausted generations ago, and the human race would cease to exist. That would be unnatural!!

Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
Everytime I see a post on homosexuality I say that I am going to stay out of it. The homosexuals have absolutely convinced themselves that their actions are normal and natural. Of course most normal people know that it is anything but normal and natural. I do not see anything coming out of these threads but the same old stuff over and over again.

Every one of these threads begin and end the same way. All of them have the same rhetoric. Nothing changes and nothing will. I guess if I was doing something against nature I would try and convince myself that it was natural.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,408,005 times
Definition of NATURAL

: based on an inherent sense of right and wrong <natural justice>
a : being in accordance with or determined by nature
b : having or constituting a classification based on features existing in nature

Depends on which definition and your personal beliefs I guess.

Right or wrong is a personal opinion, but since homosexuality occurs in nature, and is in accordance and determined by nature, and is a feature existing in nature, then I would classify it as natural.

But as I said way back when this thread started, this poll is going to fall along the lines of "do you agree that homosexuality is a choice, or is it not a choice".

Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,288,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Again:

The ability to procreate is not a pre-requsite for a natural relationship.

You put all the lesbians on one island for a lifetime, put the gays on another island for a lifetime and you get two dead islands in the end. That isn't natural. There is no logic that would suggest same sex people are normal couples.

Are they nice people? Most likely.

Do they have the right to work like anyone else in peace? For sure.

Should the issue come before school aged children who are mostly confused to begin with? Absolutely not.
If you want gay sponsored private schools to teach whatever, go for it.
Public schools should not do it, they should not get into politics and should not try and teach religion or try and teach science or atheism as a religion either. (which also does happen)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies