Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:51 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not nearly as many as you think.
What makes you think that? I simply base my assumption on how well it sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 09:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
What makes you think that? I simply base my assumption on how well it sells.
Meh...just a hunch. In my travels abroad, the folks i met seemed to be genuinely interested in the United States, but overall, they didn't strike me as being too impressed with the United States and Americans in general.

Just my takeaway. Not that i cared. I'm not an ambassador, and i wasn't interested in making people like the United States nor did i care if they weren't interested in seeing things from our view. I was just out to have a good time.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
American culture reminds me of a Thanksgiving turkey...dry, bland and tasteless.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:44 PM

41 posts, read 26,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...just a hunch. In my travels abroad, the folks i met seemed to be genuinely interested in the United States, but overall, they didn't strike me as being too impressed with the United States and Americans in general.

Just my takeaway. Not that i cared. I'm not an ambassador, and i wasn't interested in making people like the United States nor did i care if they weren't interested in seeing things from our view. I was just out to have a good time.
jealousy is one reason, country's in western Europe don't like the fact that they are now insignificant on the world stage and they used to be the center of it and other country's are jealous that they are insignificant and never where significant.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:45 PM

41 posts, read 26,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
American culture reminds me of a Thanksgiving turkey...dry, bland and tasteless.
Depends, "African American" culture i agree with you that it is bad

Old 01-02-2012, 10:49 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWay View Post
jealousy is one reason, country's in western Europe don't like the fact that they are now insignificant on the world stage and they used to be the center of it and other country's are jealous that they are insignificant and never where significant.
Why would they be jealous?

Better healthcare
Longer life expectancy
Much lower obesity
Better cities
More high culture
Happier populace
Lower crime (much lower)
Much better equality economically

Plus, they don't seem interested in garbage entertainment (bad music, lame dances, reality tv etc.)

Again, I ask you, ... why would they be jealous of America in the 21st century?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:46 PM

700 posts, read 638,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Why would they be jealous?

Better healthcare
Longer life expectancy
Much lower obesity
Better cities
More high culture
Happier populace
Lower crime (much lower)
Much better equality economically

Plus, they don't seem interested in garbage entertainment (bad music, lame dances, reality tv etc.)

Again, I ask you, ... why would they be jealous of America in the 21st century?
Better healthcare - Depends on country
Longer life expectancy - Depends on country but it's not a remarkable difference to qualify a "better" country.
Much lower obesity - Our obesity rates aren't remarkably different than U.K. and Australia
Better cities - Better than New York, Chicago, Honolulu, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Las Vegas, etc...? I think we hold our own.
More high culture - How does one guage this? More tea-times? Believe it or not we have art museums...and we actually attend them.
Happier populace - Opinion
Lower crime (much lower) - The U.S. murder rate is high but the overall crime rate is rather low. For instance the crime rate for the U.S. is .038%. In the U.K. it's .093%.

"Plus, they don't seem interested in garbage entertainment (bad music, lame dances, reality tv etc.)"

Ever been abroad? They kinda dig our music and television. Not sure what you mean about lame dances.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,075,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5trillion View Post
Better healthcare - Depends on country
Longer life expectancy - Depends on country but it's not a remarkable difference to qualify a "better" country.
Much lower obesity - Our obesity rates aren't remarkably different than U.K. and Australia
Better cities - Better than New York, Chicago, Honolulu, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Las Vegas, etc...? I think we hold our own.
More high culture - How does one guage this? More tea-times? Believe it or not we have art museums...and we actually attend them.
Happier populace - Opinion
Lower crime (much lower) - The U.S. murder rate is high but the overall crime rate is rather low. For instance the crime rate for the U.S. is .038%. In the U.K. it's .093%.

"Plus, they don't seem interested in garbage entertainment (bad music, lame dances, reality tv etc.)"

Ever been abroad? They kinda dig our music and television. Not sure what you mean about lame dances.
US doesn't make cut for happiest nations list - Business - World business - msnbc.com

You are wrong

American cities vs. London, Paris, Berlin, Copenhagen, Oslo, Warsaw, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Madrid, Stockholm, Rome, Barcelona etc....yeah, Euro cities own America.... you say Miami and Vegas lol... funny

Obesity In America Compared To Europe | LIVESTRONG.COM

America is 63% vs 50% for Europe.... yeah, both are pretty bad, but America is solidly worse

As far as our current garbage pop culture, in my travels, not one person I met overseas likes any current music and tv from America

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 AM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotionalintel View Post
On one hand America is derided for not having a deep ingrained permanent culture. The American experience is based on a multiplicity of ideas and a strict individualism as opposed to tribal or national affiliations. This isn't a bad thing. When a culture is based so much on self invention and reinvention then you can't have a permanent culture.
I believe this is closest to what I think American culture is all about.

I see american culture as.... conquer, take at any cost, make everything "mines", super power, space invader, greed, monopolize,

many of america so called cultural aspects are taken form other ethnic back grounds. America sees what these other cultures are and quickly makes them their own well, the good stuff that is.

Aloha

Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
I believe this is closest to what I think American culture is all about.

I see american culture as.... conquer, take at any cost, make everything "mines", super power, space invader, greed, monopolize,
Vance Packard even back in the 1950s said that the USA was the most socially engineered country in the world outside of the Soviet bloc. It's gotten even worse in the last 55 years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies