Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 01:34 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

I keep reading responses in most threads about LGBTQ people claiming we choose our sexual orientation. I personally did not choose to be homosexual, by the age of 14 I had read nearly every book in the library on the subject to find out why and if there was a way out of it. Now this was in many cases old information, outdated when I was reading it. None of it clicked with me, I did not want to be gay, I was angry even. At the time I did not know if I believed in a god or not, so I prayed, I asked to just be like everyone else. There was no answer and there was no change in me. I have four brothers and a sister, my younger brother is gay and an older brother is bi. My sister said she has always been heterosexual. I have an uncle that is gay on my Moms side. There seems to be a lot of gay people on my Moms side, but none I know of from my Dads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 01:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Yes, I chose to be heterosexual. Seemed like the smart thing to do. Blowing men and being sodomized did not sound like much fun.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:10 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
One may not choose to be Gay, but one does choose whether to be a practicing homosexual or not. Outlandish dress and mannerisms are copied, practiced and 'performed' by those who have made the choice to live this way. I'm not sure why it is such a big deal. Why do militant homosexuals completely overlook the existence of other deviance's from the gold standard of the heterosexual lifestyle? Why is bi-sexuality, polyamory not condoned by a vocal minority of gay people? Because it flies in the face of conventional American family values. Moral gays want to be in every way, save one, like the finest examples of human character we have: Ward and June Cleaver. And they want to be accepted as 'normal' and shut the door on bi, trans, poly or others that are also valid expressions of the wide continuum of sexual identity. Why is this? Why are there no polyamorous groups arguing for group marriage recognition? Why aren't they using the excuse that their orientation is not a choice as validation for their behavior?

H

Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Yes, I chose to be heterosexual. Seemed like the smart thing to do. Blowing men and being sodomized did not sound like much fun.
So you once had a desire for men too, then made the choice to desire women? If you never found men attractive, then you did not choose.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:17 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
I can only speak for myself, I have never felt a sexual attraction to a person of the same sex so I guess that puts me in the I was born this way category. I have a hard time believing that any person would choose the life of a gay person knowing all the crap they will have to deal with. I can't speak for them but I can't see anyone making that choice.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
One may not choose to be Gay, but one does choose whether to be a practicing homosexual or not. Outlandish dress and mannerisms are copied, practiced and 'performed' by those who have made the choice to live this way. I'm not sure why it is such a big deal. Why do militant homosexuals completely overlook the existence of other deviance's from the gold standard of the heterosexual lifestyle? Why is bi-sexuality, polyamory not condoned by a vocal minority of gay people? Because it flies in the face of conventional American family values. Moral gays want to be in every way, save one, like the finest examples of human character we have: Ward and June Cleaver. And they want to be accepted as 'normal' and shut the door on bi, trans, poly or others that are also valid expressions of the wide continuum of sexual identity. Why is this? Why are there no polyamorous groups arguing for group marriage recognition? Why aren't they using the excuse that their orientation is not a choice as validation for their behavior?

H
Here where I live, we include all orientations. I personally have no problem with polyamory, polygamy or polyandry. I do not care if anyone does not accept me, but to exclude me from marriage or rights based on who I am physically and emotionally attracted to denies me full equal treatment. Polyamory is not a sexual orientation, it is the ability to fall in love or be in love with more than one person. It could be a heterosexual, homosexual or bi-sexual person.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:40 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I can only speak for myself, I have never felt a sexual attraction to a person of the same sex so I guess that puts me in the I was born this way category. I have a hard time believing that any person would choose the life of a gay person knowing all the crap they will have to deal with. I can't speak for them but I can't see anyone making that choice.
Hmmm... "crap". Define "crap". When I was a kid on the East Coast, once in a blue moon you might happen upon some poor soul who was trying in vain to get somewhere and he or she would say "Speake Spanish?" Now I live on the West Coast and I make darn sure I never have to ask anyone anything because I am the one whose language isn't spoken by anyone I am likely to meet on the street. Gay people in the 21st Century don't have to take crap off anybody. Unless they want to. The only thing that is left is to confer full rights of normalcy and equivalency on homosexual behavior and put it on equal basis with heterosexuality. Those gays that push the envelope get pushback from the establishment. There are a lot of gays, in fact the majority of them that could care less about being or being considered equal with straights. Their lives are no worse or better than that of a straight person in the exact same racial or socio-economic group.

H

Old 01-09-2012, 03:39 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times
I"m gay and did not choose to be gay. i have never had a time in my life where i wasn't gay.

I didn't come out until age 28 and am now 34. I have dated but am still a virgin. I have never dated a girl in my whole life and have never wanted too.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,438,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmm... "crap". Define "crap". When I was a kid on the East Coast, once in a blue moon you might happen upon some poor soul who was trying in vain to get somewhere and he or she would say "Speake Spanish?" Now I live on the West Coast and I make darn sure I never have to ask anyone anything because I am the one whose language isn't spoken by anyone I am likely to meet on the street. Gay people in the 21st Century don't have to take crap off anybody. Unless they want to. The only thing that is left is to confer full rights of normalcy and equivalency on homosexual behavior and put it on equal basis with heterosexuality. Those gays that push the envelope get pushback from the establishment. There are a lot of gays, in fact the majority of them that could care less about being or being considered equal with straights. Their lives are no worse or better than that of a straight person in the exact same racial or socio-economic group.

H
No they don't have to take it but they still get it. Let's face it gays are not welcomed with open arms in some areas both areas they live and work. They have a much higher chance of being ostrsisted then a heterosexual does. It is not about them taking it, it is about the fact that they get it in the first place.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,337 times
I did not choose to be 'straight' - it is how I was born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies