Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you choose your sexual orientation?
I chose to be gay 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be gay 30 20.27%
I chose to be lesbian 3 2.03%
I did not choose to be lesbian 4 2.70%
I chose to be bi-sexual 1 0.68%
I did not choose to be bi-sexual 6 4.05%
I chose to be heterosexual 27 18.24%
I did not choose to be heterosexual 78 52.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:36 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I have a few questions for the 6 posters - BirchBarlow, Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus, dorado0359, GradyBaaBaa, plwhit, whogo
- who claim to have chosen their heterosexuality (as well as any subsequent posters who answer in the same manner).

When exactly did you chose to be heterosexual?
Prior to that I hadn't chosen anything.

Quote:
Before you chose to be attracted soley to members of the opposite sex
Hold on there champ --

I never said I chose to be attracted to anyone, or anything. I said I chose to be heterosexual. I did so on the basis of my attraction to women.

Quote:
How did you decide your sexuality? Did you make a list of pros and cons for all sexualities? Did you seek the advice of your family and friends? Did you experiment by having sex with both men and women to see which one you liked more?
No, my subconscious mind reacted positively to the sight of women, and very shortly thereafter my conscious mind caught up to it with the decision that: this is what I like. You might describe it as a moment of self-awareness, and the choice I made to "go along with it."

Quote:
And once you made your decision, how did you hardwire that decision?
Huh? Hardwire? i'm not a piece of electronics.

Quote:
How did you make yourself attracted to one sex and not attracted to the other?
I simply acknowledged that I liked women.

Quote:
If you were initially attracted to neither men or women, how did you selectively turn on the attraction to members of the same sex?
I didn't turn on the attraction.

Quote:
Perhaps you could explain the biological mechanism and how you consciously triggered it.
Well, some people refer to it as a "boner."

Quote:
Is the hardwiring of your choice of sexuality set, or can you selectively turn off on on the gender of person you are attracted to?
I couldn't tell you about the potentiality within myself for homosexuality, I just know that it doesn't appeal to me at all, nor has it ever.

My heterosexuality wasn't always there. I don't know where it came from, I always figured it came about as a result of high testosterone levels in my body. When I became aware of my attraction to women, the matter was settled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 08:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am sorry, my comments have not been meant to be taken seriously. What studies of identical and other twins have shown is there is a strong correlation (though not absolute) betwen genes and homosexuality. I think for the vast majority of individuals their sexual preference has been partially hardwired in and partially the effect of the environment they have been raised in. Raquel Welch running around scantily clothed was simply my first recognition that there was something about women that was quite attractive.

The fact is, politically speaking from my libertarian perspective Mill's Principle should apply, it is not an issue society should be concerned about. It should not matter if homosexuality is a choice or not.
Ah, OK
I agree, but I guess for many conservative people knowing the reason why people are the way they are, is necessary in order to be able to judge and also to try and change people.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:43 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
I never said I chose to be attracted to anyone, or anything. I said I chose to be heterosexual. I did so on the basis of my attraction to women.
So you chose to be attracted to women - chose to be heterosexual - based on your attraction to women? So in other words, it wasn't a choice at all - it was a non-chosen characteristic of you.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:49 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you chose to be attracted to women
No, like I said, the attraction to women just "came about" one day. The choice that I was heterosexual came shortly thereafter.

Quote:
So in other words, it wasn't a choice at all - it was a non-chosen characteristic of you.
You're erroneously equating "things I'm attracted to" , to my sexuality.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I can only speak for myself, I have never felt a sexual attraction to a person of the same sex so I guess that puts me in the I was born this way category. I have a hard time believing that any person would choose the life of a gay person knowing all the crap they will have to deal with. I can't speak for them but I can't see anyone making that choice.
They wouldn't. There is absolutely zero benefit to being gay over straight in this world. And in many countries (Iran for example), being gay will get you executed at a young age. Obviously choosing to be gay when you know you'll be hanged in the public square goes against all biological survival instincts, for absolutely no reason whatsoever. And considering in this country, growing up as a gay kid is usually very difficult, depressing, results in lots of bullying and we've seen all the kids led to suicide over it. If one is going to end up suicidal for being abused and hated for being gay, why on earth would they not just switch to straight if it were a choice?

However, the "it's a choice" crowd does not seem to have the logical capability to realize why that argument is so ridiculously stupid.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Hmmm... "crap". Define "crap". When I was a kid on the East Coast, once in a blue moon you might happen upon some poor soul who was trying in vain to get somewhere and he or she would say "Speake Spanish?" Now I live on the West Coast and I make darn sure I never have to ask anyone anything because I am the one whose language isn't spoken by anyone I am likely to meet on the street. Gay people in the 21st Century don't have to take crap off anybody. Unless they want to. The only thing that is left is to confer full rights of normalcy and equivalency on homosexual behavior and put it on equal basis with heterosexuality. Those gays that push the envelope get pushback from the establishment. There are a lot of gays, in fact the majority of them that could care less about being or being considered equal with straights. Their lives are no worse or better than that of a straight person in the exact same racial or socio-economic group.

H
You do realize gays are executed or imprisoned all over the world just for being gay, and prior to 9 years ago, homosexuality was a felony in many US states? Gays were systematically exterminated in the holocaust. Gays are still abused, beaten, and murdered in this country just for being gay.

Don't be absurd, gays have it much harder than straights in most of the world, except maybe the very liberal/progressive nations (Western Europe).

Old 01-09-2012, 08:53 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times
Quote:
Outlandish dress and mannerisms are copied, practiced and 'performed' by those who have made the choice to live this way.
In what world? You do know that you are simply mouthing some stereotype, right? Most homosexuals dress like you and me and they have the same mannerisms. A select few fall within the parameters you describe, but a select few heteros have exaggerated mannerisms and dress, too. You ever watch "Housewives of whatever-the-crap?" There's plenty of that to be had...

Old 01-09-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Many or most guys can choose bisexuality if they are cut off from women, as in prison or any number of other situations. Occasionally guys will get very drunk and let some effeminate ***** do them. Some men are ugly or unappealing to women, and so they choose gay sex rather than jerking off.

Generally they go right back to heterosexuality when they have that choice again.
Rape in prison is not homosexuality. Rape is about power, violence, and control, not sex. Men have been raping other men for all of human history, and they are not gay. Sexual assaults in the military among men are quite high, and yet studies show that the overwhelming majority of the attackers are heterosexual.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Gah, its almost 3:00am and I'm still wresting with this... look, I hate to pull the race card in a non-race thread but... a gay person, at work, is not obligated to reveal their orientation. A racial minority does not have that prerogative. Please don't tell me that you expect the same Americans that still drag blacks to their deaths behind pickup trucks and shoot doctors that perform abortions to death.. to welcome gays with open arms anytime soon.

H
Gays may not be obligated to reveal it, but some gays are fairly obvious (I'm sure you've heard of "gaydar").

And unlike race, gays can be fired in 28 states just for being gay. A boss can literally say, "I don't like f*gs, you're fired" and there is nothing the gay person can do about it.

Can you imagine the lawsuits that would be flying if they pulled that on a black person?

Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Rape in prison is not homosexuality. Rape is about power, violence, and control, not sex. Men have been raping other men for all of human history, and they are not gay. Sexual assaults in the military among men are quite high, and yet studies show that the overwhelming majority of the attackers are heterosexual.
Indeed. Most people focus on sexuality, and forget that real homosexuals LOVE their spouses in every way, just like heterosexuals do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies