Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM

45,635 posts, read 27,250,610 times

Advertisements

Charles Barkley was host of SNL this weekend. They had a skit called "White People Problems" (Video at the link)

Now white people are in the audience laughing at the skit. If the situation was vice versa, there would be no laughing - there would be a multitude of complaints.

Why are white people able to laugh at themselves regardless of the source, but black people only laugh when we make fun of ourselves - not when white people are doing the comedy?

Do white people not take themselves seriously enough - or are black people super sensitive? OR am I just totally off base?

I don't want this to be a big fight back and forth - I am curious about this and want to know what you think. I will check in later on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
The short answer is us white peoples ancestors did not suffer through 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:19 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,860,904 times
I saw the episode and wondered the same thing. Had a white sports figure or white actor hosted the show and participated in that skit called "black people problems" you would see people calling for the country to boycott their work and people would be calling for NBC to fire whoever was responsible for the skit.

Black people can't handle comedy that involves them coming from anyone but other black people and even that's touchy. White people know that a lot of the stereotypes that were made fun of in that skit are 100% true and it was funny. Black people don't think like that, a white person simply can't make fun of a black stereotype and get away with it.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The short answer is us white peoples ancestors did not suffer through 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow.
Big F'n deal, who cares what a person's ancestors suffered through hundreds of years ago? Someone who lives in a personal pity party because their great, great, great, great grandfather was a slave needs mental help

Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,200,952 times
This is more of a "First World Problem" that Americans and Europeans experience. There are spoiled American black, white, hispanic, asian etc people. I'm black, and the other day I was annoyed because there was a long line at the deli. Lol. I get annoyed about where I should eat instead of if I'm going to eat.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM

46,323 posts, read 27,157,406 times
I get so tired of this race crap.....

Have you seen Blazing Saddles, if not, then you need to....this film was done in the early 70's and absolutely hammered every single religion...and guess what, people laughed at it and still do today....

Blazing Saddles (1974) - IMDb

Old 01-10-2012, 05:24 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,200,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Big F'n deal, who cares what a person's ancestors suffered through hundreds of years ago? Someone who lives in a personal pity party because their great, great, great, great grandfather was a slave needs mental help
I don't live in a personal pity party, but I do acknowledge basic history, sociology, economics and current events. Reading does wonders for the mind.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:26 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,576,703 times
I guess you must not watch SNL a lot since they are Equal Opportunity satirists when it comes to race.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,645,768 times
Oh for goodness sake, it's a cultural thing and white people do tend to complain about dumb things that Black people, who have been victims of institutionalized racism and judicial relegation for 500 years, have to hear a lot and wonder how you're complaining when you are so privileged and basically spoiled. So yes, this is a funny and accurate sketch. And by the way, Blacks have been targeted for humor before and in worse more offensive ways. Tell me about Jim Crow and blackface until you go blue in the face please.

Having a five-bedroom house and complaining about not having enough space is a white people problem and it's funny to ridicule such ridiculous-ness, especially when Blacks and other non-white minorities had to struggle just to make due with one bedroom shacks with no plumbing nor electricity for how many years? Child please.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I don't live in a personal pity party, but I do acknowledge basic history, sociology, economics and current events. Reading does wonders for the mind.
There's a huge difference between acknowledging basic history, sociology, economics and current events and expecting people today to pay for things that took place 100 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies