Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,997,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Unlike others I don't make decisions based on headlines. I don't know much about the case to form an opinion yet.

I'm just pleasantly surprised that you guys have sympathy for people who haven't paid their mortgages in 2 years. I also thought you considered those people deadbeats, glad to hear that you don't. I even thought I heard some people say that those homeowners should be thrown in debtors prison.
I can't believe you're defending criminals, squatters, who break into a home and decide to give it to some friends of theirs.

I guess you didn't read the article. The guy paid his mortgage for two years. Just because one runs into trouble with paying their mortgage doesn't mean their house is up for grabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,957,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I can't believe you're defending criminals, squatters, who break into a home and decide to give it to some friends of theirs.

I guess you didn't read the article. The guy paid his mortgage for two years. Just because one runs into trouble with paying their mortgage doesn't mean their house is up for grabs.
I brought this up and Savior thought it was
He left the discussion, because we all agreed, the single-dad should have his home, not the OWS and a homeless man.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,353,009 times
While the group that has taken over the house should be removed, the original owner seems to have abandoned the property.

"He packed up and left after foreclosure proceedings began in 2009"
If you were trying to keep your home, would you leave for a longer time then you were in the home if you were trying to keep the property?

The story stinks to high heaven of a manufactured outrage.
But it is the New York Post. And those that would say tough luck to the original home owner for making bad decisions seem to suddenly be backing him.

There are no winners here. Well, maybe the bank, but they don't seem too interested in the property either.

Last edited by plannine; 01-16-2012 at 09:23 AM..

Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 AM

59,255 posts, read 27,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I'm glad you side with homeowners who haven't paid their mortgage in over 2 years. I assumed you guys viewed them as deadbeats. I guess I was under the wrong impression.
I have never read ANY of your post where you HAVE the right impression so why would this one be any different.

You don't read the articles provided then make asinine statements.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,221,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
While the group that has taken over the house should be removed, the original owner seems to have abandoned the property.

"He packed up and left after foreclosure proceedings began in 2009"
If you were trying to keep your home, would you leave for a longer time then you were in the home if you were trying to keep the property?

The story stinks to high heaven of a manufactured outrage.
But it is the New York Post. And those that would say tough luck to the original home owner for making bad decisions seem to suddenly be backing him.

There are no winners here. Well, maybe the bank, but they don't seem too interested in the property either.
It looks like the borrower abadoned his property after his property's valued went from "$424,500 in 2007 to $150,000" He is also a negligent home owner as evidenced by the lack of electricity and water in the home. OWS came in and rehabed the place, putting in thousands of dollars. When the owner got wind of this he realized he wanted the building. It seems like the current family who is living there only stays sporadicallyl because the home has no running water. I do agree that it seems like there is manufactured outrage.

http://http://gothamist.com/2012/01/15/ny_post_claims_occupation_of_forecl.php (broken link)

Old 01-16-2012, 11:07 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinny Puppy View Post
It looks like the borrower abadoned his property after his property's valued went from "$424,500 in 2007 to $150,000" He is also a negligent home owner as evidenced by the lack of electricity and water in the home. OWS came in and rehabed the place, putting in thousands of dollars. When the owner got wind of this he realized he wanted the building. It seems like the current family who is living there only stays sporadicallyl because the home has no running water. I do agree that it seems like there is manufactured outrage.

http://http://gothamist.com/2012/01/15/ny_post_claims_occupation_of_forecl.php (broken link)
So you have no regard for private property rights?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,891,844 times
Quote:

it doesnt matter. the OWS movement STOLE the property from the rightful owner, the bank. in fact the bank has even said that the property still belongs to the guy who bought the property, even though they had started foreclosure proceedings.

the OWS is squatting on the property, and ILLEGALLY giving it to some homeless people. if the OWS would have done it right, that is buy the property from the owner or the bank, i would have no problem with what they are doing, as it would then be OWS property.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 AM

3,498 posts, read 2,221,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
it doesnt matter. the OWS movement STOLE the property from the rightful owner, the bank. in fact the bank has even said that the property still belongs to the guy who bought the property, even though they had started foreclosure proceedings.

the OWS is squatting on the property, and ILLEGALLY giving it to some homeless people. if the OWS would have done it right, that is buy the property from the owner or the bank, i would have no problem with what they are doing, as it would then be OWS property.
I agree with the person I responded too, here is what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post

The story stinks to high heaven of a manufactured outrage. .
The squatters should be removed. In the end the guy will abandon this property again and many of the defenders will not care one bit. Just because I feel sorry for the family who lives in a home with no water or electricity doesn't mean I don't recognize what they are doing is illegal. I've been a landord who has had to evict tenants, doesn't mean I don't feel bad for some of them, but in the end business is business. It's possible to be a business person with some feelings and empathy. As a responsible landlord I have no sympathy for negligent home owners, their actions contribute to crime and lower property values.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,111,034 times
Quote:

We have a business where we rehad properties like this. The difference is we buy them first and pay the utilities. I would be willing to bet what ever has been done with this house it is half a&&ed work. No reputable person with half a brain would participate in this. A house cannot be fixed up correctly by just anyone and I don't believe someone with the skills and knowledge would take the risk and do it. The OWS has only one goal and that is to cause chaos and they don't care who gets hurt.

Manufactured outrage, yes it is. If they have thousands of dollars why not find a rental for this family and pay the rent? They would have running water. Guess why? It isn't as though this family is going to be allowed to stay there. And before anyone starts saying adverse possession, forget about it, it doesn't apply.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:17 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,326,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So you have no regard for private property rights?

And you're in favor of insurance fraud?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't see a more perfect situation to burn your own house down for the insurance money.
HA!!! I was going to post the guy should have burned it down as soon as the OWS took it over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies