Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 10:36 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Low skilled jobs get outsourced. Keep up or become jobless, it's a very simple concept. If blacks disproportionately cannot keep up, why should that be blamed on whites? Although I will point out that there are many white people who also held those jobs and the rust belt is not doing so well right now as a whole.

Your cry of "racism" speaks volumes about who the real racist is.
Low skilled jobs don't necessarily get outsourced, but low skilled jobs did form the backbone of economic progress for black and white Americans.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Feel free to question me, it's simple google searching.

MPS per-pupil spending fourth highest among 50 largest districts in nation - JSOnline

You can also just search the names of each district and their own websites pop up with that info. It's not rocket science.

You're just mad b/c I proved you wrong in at least one major instance.
There are other districts in Wisconsin that spend more per pupil than MPS, but because they have much lower enrollment, they don't show up in the top-50 list of large districts. For example, Nicolet High School on Milwaukee's wealthier North Shore spends more than $17,000 per pupil, according to census figures.

Neighboring Maple Dale-Indian Hill spends $14,916 per student, according to the report. And Fox Point Joint 1 and Glendale-River Hills school districts spend $13,098 and $13,311 per-pupil, respectively - not as high as MPS, but still well above the state average.

Two hours north in Green Lake, where multimillion-dollar vacation homes surround the community's main attraction, the Green Lake School District spends $15,773 per pupil.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Are you helpless? You need to be looking this stuff up on your own instead of playing dumb.

WordNet Search - 3.1

Adjective

S: (adj) generational (of or relating to a generation)

WordNet Search - 3.1
Noun

• S: (n) attitude, mental attitude (a complex mental state involving beliefs and feelings and values and dispositions to act in certain ways) "he had the attitude that work was fun"

Do you need me to define generational poverty as well? It's when people are poor generation after generation after generation. Same with attitudes. Like the poor attitudes toward whites that some blacks pass down to each subsequent generation. Like the attitudes about society in general, attitudes toward work and education, attitudes about their dang ATTITUDE toward everybody else.

Any questions?

Of course people are poor before they have children when they are 18 years old. 18 year olds are not equipped to have children in this day and age. Finish high school and get a good job, get a wife and hopefully get a house. If you can do all that by 18, you probably can afford (financially and emotionally) to have a child. We should not be excusing children born out of wedlock and multiple accidental pregnancies that lead to chronic use of welfare in any race.

Working hard means you work your way up in the company. If you want to achieve a higher position, it can happen if you master whatever your current position is and then apply for a promotion. Is it really that hard to comprehend how this occurs?

There is a such thing as generational poverty. There is not such thing as a generational poverty attitude or whatever made up thing someone is talking about.

Many people have children after they are 18 years old. In fact the overwhelming majority of babies born in this nation are to women who are over 18 years old. Most children are born to women who finished high school and have a job. You need to deal with reality.

Hard work alone doesn't mean a person will advance nor that their wages will increase. Most workers in low wage jobs stay in low wage jobs.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
First of all, White people created those IQ tests. Second of all, Whites haven't been told throughout American history that they were "inferior" or "would never amount to anything". No one was coming up with theories trying to prove that Whites were "inferior". That is why you don't hear Whites complaining about the "smarts of Asians". Whites have been in charge of this country, and some Asian nations were ruled by Europe. Blacks, on the other hand, have historically been subjugated in America. It is the history of racism that has people like me very cynical about IQ tests. I don't trust them.

What I was trying to say is this: "How do we know this isn't a throwback to the days of eugenics and Jim Crow racism"? Furthermore, think about this. The Bell Curve has been of the highest selling books in America. It is also based off of alot of the racist pseudoscience from the 19th century. This was stuff that was basically saying "Black people are an inferior race and there is nothing that can be done about it". It is stuff from those days that make IQ tests controversial. There has been a racial element in this all along.
Are you freaking kidding me? You are acting just like everybody else on this topic now! Maybe that is why you get lumped into that same group. How is an IQ test skewed? It measures ability to learn, it's not measuring your performance on activities that are generally done by whites, or whatever you're trying to say with your comment in bold. It actually was first developed by a French guy originally, so maybe it's biased against Americans, too, not just blacks.

How old are you? Your status says you're a college grad. So am I, so I'm guessing you're probably a little younger than me, so maybe mid-20s or early 20s. So you have no recollection of the days of MLK and the whole equal rights for blacks thing. So why are you still saying that blacks have been told throughout history (which ended probably 50 years ago now) that blacks have been told they are inferior? You don't remember those days and your parents were children during those days. Just b/c it happened before doesn't mean you need to carry a chip on your shoulder. Stop bringing it up and rise above it.

Instead of crying racism about a book, why don't you do some research to find out more about it? The Wiki article is pretty good. But since you brought it up, in looking at the Wiki article, I found this:
  • Men have an average IQ of 104
  • Women have an average IQ of 100
  • The number of men with lower IQ levels is much higher than the number of females with lower IQ levels.
  • Men outnumber women 2:1 at an IQ level of 125.
  • Men outnumber women 5,5:1 at an IQ level of 155.
So I could say that women are being discriminated against as well, we are inferior to men. Kind of a stupid assertion, don't you think?

There was no "racial element" in developing IQ tests. You need to understand the definition of IQ. It is not something that can be dramatically changed over time. You either have it or you don't. Blacks measure slightly below the IQ of whites, so if the average for whites is 100, blacks might be 95. That is not saying anybody is inferior or less smart, a 5 point difference is not going to be obvious in everyday life. Book smarts are not the same as intelligence and intelligence has no bearing on common sense. One can be dumb as a box of rocks but still get very far in life. Look at Jessica Simpson. It seems to me you're using it as an excuse to not get anywhere, YOU are the one looking at the statistics and saying "well, blacks must be inferior if they have lower IQs." Not one of us has said that in this thread, you are the one saying it. In order to understand statistics, one must understand how they are collected and how they are interpreted. And therein lies the rub for the racists who want to use these stats to cry foul. It makes you all look very dumb, no offense. Google is your friend.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I worry because some people will use those statistics, and apply them to the entire Black population. There are people who take those statistics, and then use them to justify their own prejudice, people who say "I avoid Black people because they're dangerous to be around". That can affect me in a way. I have personally heard someone say they would not hire Blacks because "they cause problems". I heard this on a forum thread one day. It is stuff like this I'm worried about. There are people who base their decisions solely on the statistics and not the individuals. People use statistics to justify racial profiling. If I'm not breaking the law, then how does racial profiling help ME?

In fact, there is a website that basically does all of this now: Stuff Black People Don't Like - SBPDL: You Don't Base Social Policy on Individuals: Jim Crow's Revenge
Stuff Black People Don't Like - SBPDL: Epiphany

In the second link, there is an excerpt that said this: "You want to stop crime in America? Create a police state that profiles and targets Black people - law abiding or not." Stuff like that scares me because I have me to look out for.
If you present yourself well, you have nothing to worry about. If you go in to apply for a job all ghetto, no, they probably aren't going to hire you. Same with white people, though. I am in a position to hire and that first impression is everything. Besides, you're not trying to get a job at a place you would just walk in and apply, you're trying to get a job that you would submit a resume for. You won't even be seen until you go for your interview, and if you present yourself well, that "black people are dangerous" thing will go right out the window. See how that works?

It's racist to have a site like that so I'm not going to look at it. That kind of thought process is few and far between. I have never heard anybody in real life say that or on any of the forums I participate in.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:57 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He's somewhat right but for the wrong reasons. There is evidence that African slavers sold off "undesirables" and kept the more desirable slaves to themselves. There are accounts by white slavers who complain of being cheated by savvy African dealers. However the Middle Passage was a brutal affair and high percentage of slaves died as a result. So you have some natural selection there. Then of course a group of people who can survive centuries of brutal chattel slavery and prosper, relative to other African descended peoples are not made of weak stuff.

End conclusion at this point it really doesn't make much of difference.
"Undesirables" might have been sold off. However, there are also warriors and artisans, the "desirables" who were sold off because they might have given a higher profit.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's what statistics are supposed to be used for, applying them to a population.
But the thing is, those statistics don't apply to ME. I'm talking about individuals. How are those statistics suppose to help individuals?

Old 08-21-2012, 11:08 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
andrea21 says she is a hiring manager in milwaukee.

milwaukee is the worst city in the US in terms of segregation and disproportionate impact on blacks.

in 2004 an admitted white felon with the same education as a clean black got more job offers.

i aint saying, but im saying.......................

Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Low skilled jobs don't necessarily get outsourced, but low skilled jobs did form the backbone of economic progress for black and white Americans.

The rest of your post is irrelevant.
You're making no sense at this point. Bye bye.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There are other districts in Wisconsin that spend more per pupil than MPS, but because they have much lower enrollment, they don't show up in the top-50 list of large districts. For example, Nicolet High School on Milwaukee's wealthier North Shore spends more than $17,000 per pupil, according to census figures.

Neighboring Maple Dale-Indian Hill spends $14,916 per student, according to the report. And Fox Point Joint 1 and Glendale-River Hills school districts spend $13,098 and $13,311 per-pupil, respectively - not as high as MPS, but still well above the state average.

Two hours north in Green Lake, where multimillion-dollar vacation homes surround the community's main attraction, the Green Lake School District spends $15,773 per pupil.
You must have a hard time reading. I put every single school district in the north shore area (read: the rich area of the county) against MPS in my post.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies