Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, but the reason for that is in part sexism in society.

Men are viewed as weak or feminine if they are stay at home dads, if they take too much time off work to care for children or elderly parents, or even if they enter careers traditionally dominated by women such as nursing. The reason for this is largely that societal attitudes towards men have not changed from the days in which women faced widespread discrimination based on sex.
No. I don't think anyone sees men as weak or feminine if they stay home, that's ridiculous. And the whole "male nurse" kind of thing is not really true in real life, that I've seen anyway (although it was hilarious in Meet the Fockers).

I don't know where some of you guys come up with this stuff but methinks you are projecting a bit much in your assumptions.

Women are usually the primary caregivers b/c they are more nurturing and affectionate than men. They have maternal instinct. Women start bonding with their children in utero whereas most men bond much more after the baby is born. It is proven that even how men and women handle babies is very different (men are more rough and playful while women are, as I said, more nurturing and careful). It is natural for women to be the primary caregiver. That's how God made us. It was never seen as sexist to say that until the feminist movement.

Last edited by andrea3821; 01-17-2012 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 12:52 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Cletus, the media choose to spin this issue, examining women out of the workforce years at a clip as if they are as valuable to an employer who stayed employed the entire time, w/o interruption.

The reality is many stay at homes enjoyed not working, than upon divorce have to go back, and volla..all of a sudden reality returns, and they whine about their difference in salary vs those who stayed in the workforce.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Cletus, the media choose to spin this issue, examining women out of the workforce years at a clip as if they are as valuable to an employer who stayed employed the entire time, w/o interruption.

The reality is many stay at homes enjoyed not working, than upon divorce have to go back, and volla..all of a sudden reality returns, and they whine about their difference in salary vs those who stayed in the workforce.
Well you can just look at how these studies are designed, to see how they are biased.

They don't look at the data to try and objectively determine why women earn less. They correct for a limited number of factors, and assume any resulting gap in pay (which are simply the errors in their model of "employee value") is the "evidence" of gender discrimination.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:09 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
"It's not the Joe and Jane Sixpack that drive these statistical anomalies, it is the male outliers."

Very true, studies have shown when women have like longevity (continuous), education,a nd experience, the pay gap is non-existent.

When they CHOOSE to be in and out of the workforce for extended periods, they are treated as anyone would be with major workplace interruptions.

Boo Hoo.

No, studies have shown that when women have like longevity, education and experience, the pay gap is persistent.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Not studies I have seen. Post links of controlled studies, if they exist. Showing years of CONTINUOUS experience, education, etc.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM

Correct, Cletus. Like I said, the medias' agenda is showing, as always.

They act as if value to the business is not important.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:17 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think the biggest reason is women tend to be non confrontational, and do not negotiate when it comes to pay raises...
AND, because a boss is in business to maximize profits he'll do anything he can to pay anyone as little as he can. If that means taking advantage of the tendencies of the "fairer" sex, then so be it, right?

With men making the pay rate decisions the "fairer" sex will always be cheated.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Not studies I have seen. Post links of controlled studies, if they exist. Showing years of CONTINUOUS experience, education, etc.
Pay Gap Between Male And Female Doctors Gets Wider And Wider

Brand new doctors, right out of med school. They should all start on the same footing as regards longevity, experience, education. But they don't. Is it that much-vaunted negotiating skill that men possess and women don't that causes this discrepancy, or is it discrimination against women?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:24 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
bobtn, I looked at the California site, I also found this study paper:

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/s...pdf?docID=1052

Only about 60% of employees are even covered by FMLA.

California offers six weeks of paid disability "to bond with a new child". Six, not two years.

It's funny. So many post on here as if the rest of us dropped down yesterday from Mars and I don't mean Mars, Pennsylvania, as if we have no experience in the workforce ourselves.

I have been an RN since 1970. Even today, >90% of RNs are women. Back when I was a young nurse, it was probably more like 98%. Even so, I have worked with many nurses over the years who had long careers in nursing. Of course, with this many women, there are many of childbearing age, who leave the workforce temporarily to have babies. Most of these women return to work after their maternity leaves. This notion that all or most women are on the "mommy track" is a figment of some men's imaginations.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:26 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
AND, because a boss is in business to maximize profits he'll do anything he can to pay anyone as little as he can. If that means taking advantage of the tendencies of the "fairer" sex, then so be it, right?

With men making the pay rate decisions the "fairer" sex will always be cheated.
There are a lot of female bosses you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies