Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does an entertainers political views sway your decision to listen or watch their work
yes 35 25.18%
no 62 44.60%
depends, sometimes 44 31.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I personally have enough sense not to let someones politics get in the way of my appreciation of their art.
^^^
This.
I can think for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM

591 posts, read 866,175 times
Long story short: it depends.

I still plan on reading the third book in the Millenium Series by Stieg Larsson (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) even though I found out that he was a total Communist (and me basically right of center but not radical). I have other reasons to not like the person, but I will withhold my views here (as is proper).

However, when I found out that classical composer Karlheinz Stockhausen thought that the explosions at the Twin Towers on 9/11 was the greatest piece of performance art he'd ever seen, I basically put all his music in the trash. He put art above humanity. Bad.

Also, if I know that someone hates Christians and is a musician and outspoken and judgmental about it, I will totally not pay attention to their press and ignore them as if they don't exist. It's that important to me. I don't bash anyone's religion or lack of belief, so I will vote with my pocketbook.

I also (it should go without saying) won't listen to hip-hop as most of it is violent and woman-hating-thuggery, and they really have no art to share, it's mostly hatred and "look at what a thug I am" - that's not art, that's playground bragging.

If they go so far as urinating on the cross (that artist), then I will wish them bodily harm and all their works (of that ilk) destroyed. Not going to do anything myself, but am going to wish it would happen.

Personally, I think art and the artist's life should be separate, i.e. they should make every attempt to keep their personal views to themselves (barring the incident of speaking out against a hitler-type person). For this cause I still read Jules Verne even though he was anti-Dreyfuss. Because he kept it to himself. Art should not be political. I should be able to admire the person's work and still have no clue as to their personal beliefs. I don't want the "Director's Deluxe Edition" where they show the outtakes and talk about their divorce, I just want the finished item. I want the magic not the planning stages and revelations of state of mind while creating. If I'm that curious, I can always research the person. It should not be forced on me as a matter of course of enjoying the work.

Last edited by Doctor Blues; 01-19-2012 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 01-19-2012, 02:56 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times
I still laugh at Sean Penn in Fast Times at Ridgemont High (the uncensored version). A skinny Alec Baldwin is amusing in "Beetlejuice", too, especially when he pulls those animated Tim Burton faces.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:12 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Blues View Post
If they go so far as urinating on the cross (that artist), then I will wish them bodily harm and all their works (of that ilk) destroyed. Not going to do anything myself, but am going to wish it would happen.
To be fair, he didn't actually urinate on a cross - he embalmed a crucifix in a jar of urine. And that work of art was MEANT to incite controversy, so you're basically giving him exactly what he wanted... and you have every right to feel that way, but I hope you at least understood the message before condemning it.

Quote:
Personally, I think art and the artist's life should be separate, i.e. they should make every attempt to keep their personal views to themselves
In regards to actors and "celebs," I pretty much agree with you... but in terms of actual art, music and writing, I think they kinda have to incorporate their personal beliefs. What would John Lennon's music be like without his political messages? And just about every piece of fine art reflects the artists' inner thoughts, as is the case with most written works. For example, most works from the Renaissance movement were based on Christian/Catholic imagery, while Pop Art was full of political & social messages. You (and I) might not agree with all of them, but the fine arts would be rather boring without these personal motivations. That being said, I can still enjoy the beauty of some art/music that doesn't jive with my own beliefs.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-19-2012 at 03:22 AM..

Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
Default Does an artist's/musician's/actor's political views affect your decision to enjoy their work?

Nope, I don't listen to any of their political views, I don't care about their personal lives.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post
What I expected you to take from my comment is that your statement was a subjective, not an objective one. Millions of people do not find her lame, but you do. That is your opinion. I find Miles Davis to be lame, does that make him lame? No, I know many people who absolutely adore his music.

As for my last sentence, it was to let you know I'm on to your little schtick...I will counter your afrocentrism with my eurocentrism.

"Help, I need somebody, help, not just anybody, heeeeelllllllppppp me!"

My heart...I think it just stop beating.

Okay I know it's all subjective, but seriously, that just makes me sad.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
yes and no. if their art is not making a political statement then no, but if it was made to make one, then yes.
Same here. I couldn't care less about Debussy's politics but if I'm listening to someone like Ani DiFranco...well, I don't think I could listen to her music if I didn't agree with her politics.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
So anyone that doesn't agree with your taste in music needs help? I don't happen to enjoy jazz music...should I commit myself voluntarily?
YES! Lol. No, not really, but it's tempting to say "yes".

ETA: I love the Beatles too and a lot of other European music too, like Chopin and Rachmaninoff. Liking jazz doesn't make one afro-centric.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:17 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,991,578 times
Quote:
So anyone that doesn't agree with your taste in music needs help? I don't happen to enjoy jazz music...should I commit myself voluntarily?
There is two kinds of music the good and bad. I play the good kind. Armstrong, Louis

Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Exsqueeze me. Lame, lame??

Pretty soon you will be saying that Celine Dion and Vegas acts are lame. You need a lesson in hipness Mr. Miles what's his face.

Celine Dion and Clarkson both completely suck.

Miles Davis and Dean Martin (the best Vegas entertainer) are 1000x better

Don't presume to try and tell those of us with good taste in music what is hip or how to think

...ohh.. by the way... I am only 28 yrs old

cool brah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies