Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,973,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What Bush spent in 8 years, Obama topped in 2. In fact he dwarfed it. Does that make everything Bush did right? No, it just makes what Obama has done much worse,
You're peddling the zombie claim that there has been a huge expansion in the federal government under Obama.

One way to address this claim is to ask, where are the huge new federal programs? The Affordable Care Act has not yet kicked in; the stimulus, such as it was, is gone; where is this big government surge?

So what was responsible for more spending in 2010 and 2011? We already know that 2009, which was Bush's last budget, yielded a $1.3 trillion deficit -- and we knew that in early January 2009, so that couldn't be Obama's 'fault.'

A large part of it is a slowdown in GDP rather than an accelerated rise in government spending. Nominal GDP rose at an annual rate of 5.1 percent from 2000 to 2007; it only rose at a 1.7 percent rate from 2007 to 2010. Here’s one way to look at the federal budget; just compare growth rates in spending from 2000 to 2007 and from 2007 to 2010: Here’s the answer:

What we’re seeing isn’t some drastic expansion of Big Government; we’re seeing the government we already had, responding to a terrible economic slump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:24 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,587,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
However, I want to get rid of Obama before he does any more damage and you only want to make noises about the man you couldn't get rid of in 2004. That was about 8 years ago, wasn't it.

We'll all be paying Bush's bill for many more years to come. Choosing not to look at it and trying to blame Obama for it won't change the reality.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:55 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What Bush spent in 8 years, Obama topped in 2. In fact he dwarfed it. Does that make everything Bush did right? No, it just makes what Obama has done much worse,
In your nightmares. Obama has done no such thing... ... I'm ok with being proven wrong on this... lets see some numbers. Is that really so much to ask??

H

Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 PM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
I gotta get moving on this - I get busy and I can't post like I want to.

White House Panic: Gruesome 2012 Economic Forecast Could Doom Obama

If the CBO estimate is correct, it would mean that the United States recorded a deficit of more than $1 trillion for every year of Obama’s first term. The deficit was $1.4 trillion in 2009, $1.3 trillion in 2010 and $1.3 trillion in 2011. The largest deficit recorded before that was $458 billion in 2008.

Big spender Barack and the no budget Senate.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,076,663 times
Quote from "Brewster's Millions"......

"Brewster? Greetings from the grave! Don't look so surprised. Did you know your great-grandfather was a honky? My old man married twice. One wife, white, produced me. One wife, black, produced your grandmother. Checkered family you might say. I've outlived them all Brewster, except you. They tell me you're my only living relative and I have to say, I'm disappointed. Look at you! what have you made of yourself? A failed baseball pitcher. I believe in being honest, Brewster. No bull****. I'm stuck with you. But... we're gonna have some fun..."

Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 PM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
Can't rep you - but thanks for the laugh alphamale

Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,973,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If the CBO estimate is correct, it would mean that the United States recorded a deficit of more than $1 trillion for every year of Obama’s first term. The deficit was $1.4 trillion in 2009, $1.3 trillion in 2010 and $1.3 trillion in 2011. [u]The largest deficit recorded before that was $458 billion in 2008.

Big spender Barack and the no budget Senate.
You forget that 2009 was Bush's budget, that came in at $1.2 trillion and was projected as such two weeks BEFORE Obama became President.

As many economists have noted, there was no huge increase in the government and respond: "It's the economy stupid."

Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,541,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
We'll all be paying Bush's bill for many more years to come. Choosing not to look at it and trying to blame Obama for it won't change the reality.
Sadly its just get rid of Obama and not reality for many.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:07 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,197,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is a take off on the movie Brewster's Millions - where Richard Pryor had to spend 30 million dollars in 30 days.

Obama is spending as much money as possible in 4 year time span. He has never had a Congressional budget to constrain him. He has presided over 4 trillion dollars spent in government so far this term.

And of course - we have no money.

So I will be posting some of the expenditures as I run across them.

HHS commits nearly $1.8 million to health initiatives in Guatemala and to improving global human research protections
Most of the spending is from programs that Obama didn't put in place. Also, why do we have no money? Who was in power in the time leading up to the economic collapse.

Obama walked into The Great Recession. How does it exactly make any sense to throw the blame at him. Should I take it that you're a Republican partisan who can't own up to the idea of your culpability in this mess?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,552,102 times
Good grief! Doesn't ANYBODY in this thread know how their government works?

The President, ANY President, cannot spend one, thin dime unless Congress first allocates it. Every single, solitary dollar of federal spending MUST be approved by BOTH houses of Congress. Right now, that means the Democratic controlled Senate and the GOP controlled House.

President's may REQUEST funding, but only Congress can pony up the money.

While y'all are arguing whether Bush or Obama spent more, you're ignoring the very real fact that neither of them could spend ANYTHING without Congress telling him to or allowing him to. That means any spending during Bushs' terms and any spending by Obama was approved by congressional members from BOTH parties.

If you think changing President's will make a difference, you're fooling yourself.

This is just a silly argument over nothing. If you want to get control of government spending, you'd better get control of Congress, not the White House.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies