Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There is one huge difference. Youtube is designed and optimized for watching. Megaupload is designed to enable distribution.
Watching is a form of distribution.

Kind of like how movies have a warning that says you must obtain permission to show it outside of a home environment.

Quote:
It is possible to copy or download videos from Youtube. But it isn't especially easy. And Youtube videos are in almost all cases transcoded copies of the original files. They are degraded copies. Megaupload has exact copies of copyrighted works on its servers, and the entire business is based on sharing or distribution.
It's really easy to download youtube videos. Really easy.

And, with the upgrades recently, you can have original recordings without degradation. I record videos on my phone in 720p because there's no loss in quality when I upload them to YouTube.

Quote:
Many of the copyrighted works on Youtube exist with the permission of the publisher. I doubt any copyrighted works on Megaupload are there with the permission of the publisher.
Most of the copyrighted works on Youtube exist without permission of the publisher. See My Little Pony, any fan-made music video, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Interesting article about how unsavy internet and Twitter users may have unwittingly been used as part of the Anonymous cyber-attack on these websites yesterday.

Anonymous Uses New Tactic to Get Twitter Users and Others to Participate in Attacks Unknowingly | TheBlaze.com

Old 01-20-2012, 09:53 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
That was 11 years ago. Do you know how many terrorists they've stopped since then? Hundreds, easily. Maybe thousands.
More like 0. All terrorists need to do these days is SAY they're going to do something, and we overreact and give up freedoms without them even lifting a finger. They've won countless timse since 2001.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Interesting article about how unsavy internet and Twitter users may have unwittingly been used as part of the Anonymous cyber-attack on these websites yesterday.

Anonymous Uses New Tactic to Get Twitter Users and Others to Participate in Attacks Unknowingly | TheBlaze.com
That's not a new tactic. Not new at all.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:06 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,062 times
1) This is nothing but the US making a high-profile example of someone, even if the site they went after wasn't even a major offender. Megaupload was one of those sites that actually WOULD take down copyrighted content if they were made aware of it by the copyright holder. They didn't proactively seek to find copyrighted content, and in most countries, they are not obligated to do so.

I say they're making an example of Megaupload because...well...frankly, most people don't even use it. They can't FIND the people that run the truly shady sites, so they're going after an up-and-up organization that they can use to show how "srs" they are. So those who are saying that soon there "won't be a rock to hide under" (page 2) for sites like these...hate to break it to you, but that's completely clueless. Our government is light years behind the true techies. You don't hear about the government shutting down Pirate Bay or Demonoid or BTjunkie, etc. Why? They wouldn't be able to pull it off.

2) As to An0n - they're not 15 year old kids who don't know how the world works. At least not the ones who, as we like to say in the industry, "know stuff". Yeah, 15 year olds can download the scripts that An0n pushes out and help with site takedowns, but they aren't An0n. The real hackers within that group have years and years, some spanning decades, worth of security experience. They're the ones that write the scripts and find the weaknesses within a given network or backbone. And the government has no clue, not one little iota, who those people are - and they never will. Because any security expert with that much experience knows exactly how to REMAIN Anon, and there's nothing that can be done to change it.

The attack itself? A righteous one. SOMEBODY has to stand up for the fact that the United States is attempting to seize control of something that is inherently open and free and borderless. Sometimes this group hacks places on questionable motives just to stay in the news, which I think is unfortunate. But sometimes, they are completely justified in their actions - this is one of those times.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:08 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
That's not a new tactic. Not new at all.
No it's not and proves my point yet again.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
lol to all of this

Old 01-20-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No it's not and proves my point yet again.
What point? That you have no idea who or what Anonymous is or stands for?

Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
This point...............

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl
Yes, they do come from all facets, and not all of them are hackers, by any means.
Funny how people dont know that.

I'm sure a lot of the people who come together don't know it either. That's what the anon folks are laughing about.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:12 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,211,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
This is funny. Although I find plenty to dislike about the entertainment industry, I think legally purchased media is incredibly cheap today. A song costs 99 cents or less. Most albums are 9.99 or much less. Retail DVDS are $20 when new or much cheaper for older stuff. Netflix and other make it easy to watch almost anything you want for a few dollars a month. Twenty years ago you had to go to the theater, subscribe to HBO, or buy a VHS tape for more money. Adjusted for inflation I think most of this stuff is cheaper today.

But somehow this is not good enough for millions of people. They think 99 cents is too much to pay for a song they like. Instead they feel entitled to pay nothing for the media they consume. The only reason they do it is they can do it without fear of getting caught. I'd like a Ferrari, but I don't have $200K to buy one. I know if I stole one I'd get caught. So I do without.
No, they do it because they got used to doing it because they didn't used to have any reasonable alternative. And that was the industries fault. What they are doing isn't right, and that behavior is on the decline, but it will take time.

This is simply dawinian economics and they should be left to enforce their rights in civil court at their own expense, not mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies