Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times

Advertisements

Very interesting article and not at all surprising in its findings and conclusions...

Quote:
If brain sizes (EQ) on average have been falling, it is not surprising because docile worker bees (called "consumers" in the U.S.) don't need such large brains to survive. And large brains are, from an energy consumption standpoint, very expensive. Which is why it is a total mystery as to why this trait evolved in our species in the first place. Adequate daily nutrition for all but 1 of the 7 billion people on Earth is not yet a problem, but brain size decreased over many thousands of years. Obtaining adequate nutrition was a struggle for nearly all of that time, especially for those at the bottom of the pyramid.

So what is the meaning of it all? God only knows, but the best evidence available suggests that human societies will go downhill from here on out. For this and lots of other reasons I could mention, we might conclude that maybe the evolutionary experiment (or accident) which gave rise to us wasn't such a hot idea after all.
The Incredible Shrinking Brain - Decline of the Empire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The evidence is all around us.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:50 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The evidence is all around us.

yes it is!!!!! just watch cnn.. it's all politics.. cnn dumbing down america thats what we do best..

Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
I've noticed that phenomena in the Republican Party now for 30 years.

Seriously, though, brain size has little or nothing to do with intelligence and the capability of processing data.

For instance, I have two sibling grandkids of the same age (no, they're not twins). One has an abnormally large head and the other a rather small head. I call them "Big Head" and "Little Head." Obviously, head size translates into brain size simply because of space.

Yet, "Big Head," is dumb as a rock. He's great little kid, but he's seriously unable to understand cause and effect and his thinking processes are more than a little pedestrian. But, "Little Head" is sharp as a tack and catches on to concepts and theories astonishingly fast. "Little Head" gets a joke, while "Big Head" has to have it explained to him.

So...IMHO, the author of the linked piece is seriously off-base.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I've noticed that phenomena in the Republican Party now for 30 years.

Seriously, though, brain size has little or nothing to do with intelligence and the capability of processing data.

For instance, I have two sibling grandkids of the same age (no, they're not twins). One has an abnormally large head and the other a rather small head. I call them "Big Head" and "Little Head." Obviously, head size translates into brain size simply because of space.

Yet, "Big Head," is dumb as a rock. He's great little kid, but he's seriously unable to understand cause and effect and his thinking processes are more than a little pedestrian. But, "Little Head" is sharp as a tack and catches on to concepts and theories astonishingly fast. "Little Head" gets a joke, while "Big Head" has to have it explained to him.

So...IMHO, the author of the linked piece is seriously off-base.
That's a pretty big call, considering that neuro-scientists have cannot agree on the topic.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:58 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
That's a pretty big call, considering that neuro-scientists have cannot agree on the topic.
My ex has a PhD in neuroscience and she often brings up that there is some concern that the human skull, in order to accommodate an enlarging brain, may soon be too big to be birthed.

Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Very interesting article and not at all surprising in its findings and conclusions...

The Incredible Shrinking Brain - Decline of the Empire
Or perhaps it's just getting more efficient?

Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 AM

790 posts, read 1,733,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
My ex has a PhD in neuroscience and she often brings up that there is some concern that the human skull, in order to accommodate an enlarging brain, may soon be too big to be birthed.
Interesting

Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Brain size is not the same as intelligence. The Neanderthals had clearly bigger brains than we do, but were they more intelligent? Probably not...

Old 01-20-2012, 07:29 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
I definitely agree. It took much more brainpower to be a hunter/gatherer than it does to put a man on the moon. /end sarcasm

Good lord...this makes no sense whatsoever when you apply some actual thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies