Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

387 posts, read 337,846 times

Advertisements

Congress can of course grant Cunnigham immunity where upon he must testify. I suspect they are not keen on this as Cunningham may then testify he screwed up and made some bad decisions that allowed a renegade op to continue.

Note though such a response clears the rest of the DoJ...which is certainly not of interest to Issa.

Then again the guy may simply be a careful lawyer who has decided the thing has gotten too treachorous and he is not going to be the fall guy. You grant him immunity and his story is the party line.

Note his governmental career is over. The Fifth is a constitutional right but invoking it and such circumstance is the end of your government career.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 03:59 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,297,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Don't they have the constitutional right to plead the fifth?
What does pleading the 5th normally tell us? In this case he knows that he could well be hauled in by people who will use his attempt to protect himself to go against him. He can't defend himself before the Congressional Oversight committee without admitting that what he did was ordered from above and that goes clear up to Eric Holder. We know how Holder has acted and how he will back off and make the poor soul to be a victim. Holder better resign and get the hell out before this whole thing gets up under Obama's chair where it belongs.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
Congress can of course grant Cunnigham immunity where upon he must testify. I suspect they are not keen on this as Cunningham may then testify he screwed up and made some bad decisions that allowed a renegade op to continue.

Note though such a response clears the rest of the DoJ...which is certainly not of interest to Issa.

Then again the guy may simply be a careful lawyer who has decided the thing has gotten too treachorous and he is not going to be the fall guy. You grant him immunity and his story is the party line.

Note his governmental career is over. The Fifth is a constitutional right but invoking it and such circumstance is the end of your government career.
You have spotted something here that my left leaning friends have managed to avoid. Yes, he is finished but if he can keep it from getting on through to the DOJ, where it belongs, there is a chance that he will still manage to have a job there. They can cover up this story and can also manage to cover up his re-appointment.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Public officials should not have the right to obstruct justice.
But that has happened a bunch of times in this Fast and Furious story and the cover up is starting to get piled higher and deeper. Someone is going to step in with a hard digging front end loader and dig most of that crap up and then what.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I guess to some people see exercising constitutional rights as wrong if they disagree with it.

I didn't know rights like that changed if other people thought it was okay or not.
Keep trying to deflect what is the truth about using the 5th Amendment. The man actually admits that he has done something that could be used against him later by taking the 5th. I know the truth hurts but surely you are tough enough to take it.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:09 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
What does pleading the 5th normally tell us? In this case he knows that he could well be hauled in by people who will use his attempt to protect himself to go against him. He can't defend himself before the Congressional Oversight committee without admitting that what he did was ordered from above and that goes clear up to Eric Holder. We know how Holder has acted and how he will back off and make the poor soul to be a victim. Holder better resign and get the hell out before this whole thing gets up under Obama's chair where it belongs.

The same thing "Well, I don't remember" tells us?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
New Campaign Slogan:

Anyone exercising their Constitutional Rights is Corrupt.

We certainly have to do something about that outrageous thing called The Constitution of the United States!

A true Conservative should be outraged at the suggestion that there is something wrong with exercising this Right!

But I guess it's OK if invoked by or to protect a Republican?
For example, Gov. Scott invoked the 5th 75 times. That's OK though.
Or when A Senior aide to Bush's AG Alberto Gonzales invoked the 5th in front of COngress - that was OK, too.
And it was OK for Calista Bisek Gingrich to invoke her 5th Amendment Rights, too.
And lets not forget Trent Lott's B-I-L/ attorney on testimony related to Mr. Lott.

Yep - those are all ok, because they are Republicans invoking it. Dems Not Allowed.

OH - and if you're worried about "truth" and not just trying to make political points, Congress does have the authority to grant Immunity, thus eliminating the ability to invoke the 5th.
Are you so partisan that you don't see that the people see when someone pleads the 5th that he has done something wrong. What other reason could there be? All your examples are about people who did it to protect themselves. I think just as low about them as I will about this man. Party means nothing to me.

BTW, are you talking about Calista Gingrich doing her trick lately. I guess I missed your story.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The OP is so outraged, indignant and flabergasted that one would think that it is first time this has happened and only when Obama was POTUS. Get a grip.
I don't see how you can reason like that. The fact that something has happened before doesn't change what has happened this time. My Gawd, what you said that because people have been murdered a new murder isn't so bad.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times
Quote:
I don't see how you can reason like that. The fact that something has happened before doesn't change what has happened this time. My Gawd, what you said that because people have been murdered a new murder isn't so bad.
Hyperbole much?

Old 01-20-2012, 04:31 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:

Yet you'll have us believe that what was previously excusable no longer is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies