Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 11:15 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What a frigging mess. Time to do away with preclearance.
There is a case right now in the courts to do just that.

Quote:
A federal District Court in Washington this week began a trial of the Section 5 issue.
This case will make it's way to SCOTUS as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The Supreme Court has no business in Texas' districting business one way or another. I may agree with the outcome but not their participation.
To STOP a rogue and out of bounds district court that decided to draw their own map while totally disregarding the Texas legislatures, they certainly do.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
No I attack him over his self-destructive stances. Similarly to the attacks that will be wielded at a Jew for joining the Nazi party. To the attacks the was wielded at blacks fighting for the confederacy. To the attacks wielded at Ward Connerly for his attack on Affirmative action.

I don’t know one black person that respects Clarence Thomas nor one that should.

Regarding “merits of the arguments or historical legal precedents” where do you want me to start? The ongoing war about the relevance of the VRA. The strategy the conservatives are using to make it irrelevant. The federal government needs to approve all changes because of the history. But the fed court is controlled by those same conservatives. What a twist of fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You disagree with the man so you attack him over his race.

No discussion about the merits of the arguments, historical legal precedents.....nothing.

Let's face it, you just want a bunch of democratic seats and anybody standing in the way of that is a racist.

I guess if Thomas just did what he was told, thought like he was supposed to think and vote like he was supposed to vote (Democrat of course) then he'd be ok. I may not agree with some of his decisions but the logic you are presenting on what one HAS to do to be consider a black is pretty offensive.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:55 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Let's face it, you just want a bunch of democratic seats and anybody standing in the way of that is a racist.
LOL. When all else fails, use the race card.

The new maps would have likely resulted in all four new congressional districts (at least three) voting for Democrats. That doesn't make a lot of sense in a Republican-leaning state.

This was political gerrymandering that had nothing to do with race. Democratic-leaning states do it too but for some reason that's completely different...

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 01-20-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Clarence Thomas should be ashamed of himself. There’s been only one black Supreme Court Justice and that’s Thurgood Marshall. One of the main reasons that Obama needs to be reelected is the Supreme Court. Most of the important issue will end up being 5 to 4. 5-4 for racist, 5-4 for big business and 5-4 against the people.

Court throws out judge-drawn Texas electoral maps - Yahoo! News

This was a unanimous decision.

How about those lefties on the court?

Quote:
I don’t know one black person that respects Clarence Thomas nor one that should.
You're hanging in the wrong circles. Conservatives adore him. Naturally, the Left despises him because he IS black, he IS conservative...that's good enough for the Left.

Again, a 9-0 decision...why aren't you railing on the lefties on the court for betraying democrat dirty tricks?

The GOP Red Tide of 2010 certainly was fortuitous, wasn't it?

Did you even bother to READ the decision? The reason why the district overstepped it's authority in IGNORING map legislative in favor of it's creation?

Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
No I attack him over his self-destructive stances. Similarly to the attacks that will be wielded at a Jew for joining the Nazi party. To the attacks the was wielded at blacks fighting for the confederacy. To the attacks wielded at Ward Connerly for his attack on Affirmative action.

Regarding “merits of the arguments or historical legal precedents” where do you want me to start? The ongoing war about the relevance of the VRA. The strategy the conservatives are using to make it irrelevant. The federal government needs to approve all changes because of the history. But the fed court is controlled by those same conservatives. What a twist of fate.
9-0 court finding and you use it to complain about how the court splits 5-4 for racism and blah blah blah blah and to then go after Thomas.

Seems to me you just called the entire Supreme court racist because you disagree with the result and not the law.

Rauxcism.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Clarence Thomas should be ashamed of himself. There’s been only one black Supreme Court Justice and that’s Thurgood Marshall. One of the main reasons that Obama needs to be reelected is the Supreme Court. Most of the important issue will end up being 5 to 4. 5-4 for racist, 5-4 for big business and 5-4 against the people.

Court throws out judge-drawn Texas electoral maps - Yahoo! News
Racial solidarity trumps all I guess to you even the Constitution.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,781,826 times
What did I miss here? Nothing about race was mentioned by the court in their findings. For those of you that DO NOT live in the state and want to complain, please give me your ideas of how,"WE TEXANS" are supposed to live up to your standards and expectations as set forth by your perfect state?

Old 01-20-2012, 01:13 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
My problem with the lege drawn district was most of the new population is Hispanic. They will not get any hispanic reps.

Now if anybody draws up a plan that gets rid of SJL, i'm in.

Tom Delay lives!

Old 01-20-2012, 01:29 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Districts should be drawn by computer with zero input from either party. The goal should be rectangles. Whoever wins, wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies