Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:11 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Wow, I can't believe somebody would actually believe a statement like that. If the parents wanted insurance, they'd get it?????

When I got out of the Navy, my daughter (who has Cystic Fibrosis) was taking medication that cost me $1600 a month. That was in 1992. Explain how to pay for that, rent, gas, utilities, and over $500 a month for insurance?

My point is, not everybody can do it. It's not a simple matter of snapping your fingers and you have health care. I chose to forgo health care so we could eat and have electricity, heat, and a roof.
Excellent post. It is just beyond belief that people cannot accept there is a major problem with the system. It has to be somebody's fault if they don't have health care. It just can't be because their employer will not pay for it and it costs hundreds of dollars a month, which might be most of their paycheck. No, in America everybody can be happy and prosperous, they just have to put their minds to it. Pass the doobie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 07:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Wow, I can't believe somebody would actually believe a statement like that. If the parents wanted insurance, they'd get it?????

When I got out of the Navy, my daughter (who has Cystic Fibrosis) was taking medication that cost me $1600 a month. That was in 1992. Explain how to pay for that, rent, gas, utilities, and over $500 a month for insurance?

My point is, not everybody can do it. It's not a simple matter of snapping your fingers and you have health care. I chose to forgo health care so we could eat and have electricity, heat, and a roof.
This is exactly where some of the problem lies. People who are not "wholesome rich" who have a pre-existing condition. Because of that, if you go to a new insurance company, they can raise your premiums and even DENY coverage for problems/medications/doctors relating to that pre-existing condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Excellent post. It is just beyond belief that people cannot accept there is a major problem with the system. It has to be somebody's fault if they don't have health care. It just can't be because their employer will not pay for it and it costs hundreds of dollars a month, which might be most of their paycheck. No, in America everybody can be happy and prosperous, they just have to put their minds to it. Pass the doobie.
Of course! Everybody can be "happy and prosperous" if they become the 8-5 "white-collar" drones that America should be full of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let me ask you a question: How many parents of these children CAN AFFORD health insurance for them but CHOOSE not to buy it?
And what do you mean by afford? Live off of ramen (can't have the luxury of meats or fruit!) so that you can afford insurance to cover you and your family? Around where I live, insurance costs are quite high because a VERY high percentage of people have military insurance (mom, dad, or spouse in military/retired... or they themselves are retired) so.. most people (at my age bracket) don't get insurance through the companies they work... so the premium is quite high.

Aside from replying to people:

1) The more people who work at a specific company that get insurance, the lower the premiums. So if over half the employees are retired military, then the other half pay quite a bit for their premiums.

2) The requirements for Medicaid and FAMIS (Virginia's program.. but other states have similiar) are based off of NATIONWIDE averages of poverty. So people making a semi-decent wage in a high-priced area get the short end of the stick. They make too much to qualify for government assistance programs, but do not make enough to get individual insurance. For example: I used to work at Wal-mart. Believe it or not, I still made too much to get Medicaid (for myself and daughter) or even FAMIS (which only covers children). But yet, I did not make enough to afford an apartment by myself.

3) Why not have an insurance program for ALL walks of society that is based off of the price of living in your area against your income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies