Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 04:55 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
You know... just saying... the issue would be dead, except people who supposedly don't believe there is any Global Warming keep bringing it up. There's that. There is also this: the goals of the Global Warming Awareness advocates are not inconsistent with a positive outlook for the planets future. There aren't many here that don't have children and/or grandchildren. Tell me that the actions of the majority of Americans are sustainable in the long run. Whether or not there is Global Warming there is no chance that the children of so called Baby Boomer's will be able to live out a normal human life span. Why did you have them (children) if, like many, you spend 3 hours every day doing things guaranteed to bring about a very unpleasant end to your offspring's life?

H
That is funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,550,376 times
Quote:
You know... just saying... the issue would be dead, except people who supposedly don't believe there is any Global Warming keep bringing it up. There's that. There is also this: the goals of the Global Warming Awareness advocates are not inconsistent with a positive outlook for the planets future. There aren't many here that don't have children and/or grandchildren. Tell me that the actions of the majority of Americans are sustainable in the long run. Whether or not there is Global Warming there is no chance that the children of so called Baby Boomer's will be able to live out a normal human life span. Why did you have them (children) if, like many, you spend 3 hours every day doing things guaranteed to bring about a very unpleasant end to your offspring's life?

H

Dude.....we keep bringing it up because you guys keep shoving policies down our throats! You keep invading my freedom with regulations on a religion that has not been proven!! The polar bear hoax....the fudged data they discovered!! And now they are phasing out my 100 watt light bulb???

The 100 watt light bulb is void now!! Are we kidding????

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That stupid electric car explodes!

We are using our corn for gas!!!! We have food shortages around the world with prices going up and WE ARE PUTTING OUR FOOD IN OUR GAS TANKS, WHILE SITTING ON A GAZILLION BARRELLS OF OIL GOD GAVE US????!!!

Yeah.....heck yeah we keep bringing it up!!! Stop this stupid crap and we will stop talking about it!

This planet is fine! It does what it does! We do not control it!! Every now and then it gives us a lesson to show us just how weak we really are!

Old 01-29-2012, 02:04 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
In 1900 it wasn't necessary to drill for oil. All you had to do was stamp your foot and oil would bubble up into your footprint. Oil gushed out of the ground... ... now the oil is so deep we have to mine it. I'd say that GAZILLION BARRELS of oil God gave us is about used up. As near to used up as is practical cuz it sure isn't practical to drill 3,000 foot deep oil wells at the bottom of 10,000 feet of ocean. I'm done arguing. I was asking a question that still hasn't been answered. Why did you have kids if the best you could do for them was drive them to soccer practice in an SUV? Go ahead... tell me... convince me, that an SUV is fine for the planet. Why do I try... the average IQ in the U.S. is 100. That's really not very high. We're toast my friend, whether you know it or not. Corn as fuel... stupid... we agree. Did you know enough solar energy falls on a football field in an hour to run a good sized city for at least a day or two? Of course we don't have a clue as to how to collect that kind of energy, but it's there. It's free, its clean and it's renewable. The Sun has a much longer service life than coal or oil deposits.

H

Old 01-29-2012, 02:11 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,939,754 times
Quote:
In 1900 it wasn't necessary to drill for oil. All you had to do was stamp your foot and oil would bubble up into your footprint. Oil gushed out of the ground... ... now the oil is so deep we have to mine it. I'd say that GAZILLION BARRELS of oil God gave us is about used up. As near to used up as is practical cuz it sure isn't practical to drill 3,000 foot deep oil wells at the bottom of 10,000 feet of ocean. I'm done arguing. I was asking a question that still hasn't been answered. Why did you have kids if the best you could do for them was drive them to soccer practice in an SUV? Go ahead... tell me... convince me, that an SUV is fine for the planet. Why do I try... the average IQ in the U.S. is 100. That's really not very high. We're toast my friend, whether you know it or not. Corn as fuel... stupid... we agree. Did you know enough solar energy falls on a football field in an hour to run a good sized city for at least a day or two? Of course we don't have a clue as to how to collect that kind of energy, but it's there. It's free, its clean and it's renewable. The Sun has a much longer service life than coal or oil deposits.

H
And when you figure out how to harness that energy then it is worth discussion. To date other than heating hot water, solar energy is a bust. Photovoltaics is not effective in creating the desired energy needed nor is wind energy. There are solutions in the future but in the meantime we can't simply stop living. We will still need oil for decades to come. Even after you figure out how to harness it, the infrastructure still has to be put into place. This alone will take at the very least a decade.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:28 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:

H
we can create crude oil right now if we are willing to put the effort in. take a few different varieties of algae, put them in water, and feed them carbon dioxide, and they will make oil fairly quickly. right now though no one wants to create a large enough farm to produce this fuel base.

ethanol can come from many different sources, not just corn. in fact sugar has a far greater ethanol yield than any grain does, and there is also switch grass, among other things.

hemp can also be used to make fuel from, too bad the federal government wont allow hemp farming.

solar power is in it infancy still, and things are getting better, but we still have a long ways to go for solar power to be viable.

wind power is a pipe dream, always has been, always will be. massive wind mill farms are not economically viable, nor environmentally friendly. not to mention that they are a blight on the landscape.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
we can create crude oil right now if we are willing to put the effort in. take a few different varieties of algae, put them in water, and feed them carbon dioxide, and they will make oil fairly quickly. right now though no one wants to create a large enough farm to produce this fuel base.

ethanol can come from many different sources, not just corn. in fact sugar has a far greater ethanol yield than any grain does, and there is also switch grass, among other things.

hemp can also be used to make fuel from, too bad the federal government wont allow hemp farming.

solar power is in it infancy still, and things are getting better, but we still have a long ways to go for solar power to be viable.

wind power is a pipe dream, always has been, always will be. massive wind mill farms are not economically viable, nor environmentally friendly. not to mention that they are a blight on the landscape.
I have my own windmill and it actually does work pretty effectively and is cost effective. It has about a nine year payout. The rest of your post I agree with.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Once again confusing weather with climate change.

You can choose not to believe the science, I will go with NASA, National Geograph and a majority of scientists, you can believe your internet sources.

The link to some of the research at NASA is below in case you didn't have it.

Glad to see that at least some of the doubters have moved from the argument that the climate isn't warming to why it's warming, real progress.

NASA - Probing the Impact of Climate Change on Wildlife, Ecosystems
I'll go with NASA too!

Forget global warming - it's Cycle 25 we need to worry about (and if NASA scientists are right the Thames will be freezing over again) | Mail Online

Quote:
The supposed ‘consensus’ on man-made global warming is facing an inconvenient challenge after the release of new temperature data showing the planet has not warmed for the past 15 years.

The figures suggest that we could even be heading for a mini ice age to rival the 70-year temperature drop that saw frost fairs held on the Thames in the 17th Century.

Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was issued last week without fanfare by the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit. It confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.
For even more fun you can read 121 Years of Failed Climate and Environmental Predictions

Quote:
Global Warming or Cooling?
121 years of Failed Climate and Environmental Predictions

The question is again being discussed whether recent and long-continued observations do not point to the advent of a second glacial period, when the countries now basking in the fostering warmth of a tropical sun will ultimately give way to the perennial frost and snow of the polar regions - New York Times - February 24, 1895,

The Oceanographic observations have, however, been even more interesting. Ice conditions were exceptional. In fact, so little ice has never been noted. The expedition all but established a record….Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society - January 1905

“Fifth ice age is on the way…..Human race will have to fight for its existence against cold.” – Los Angles Times October 23, 1912

The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot.... Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers, he declared, all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone... Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared. Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts, which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds. - Washington Post 11/2/1922

Scientist says Arctic ice will wipe out Canada, Professor Gregory of YaleUniversity stated that “another world ice-epoch is due.” He was the American representative to the Pan-Pacific Science Congress and warned that North America would disappear as far south as the Great Lakes, and huge parts of Asia and Europe would be “wiped out.” – Chicago Tribune August 9, 1923
But about one thing we can be sure, Al Gore can not let global warming go he's stupidly put his entire family fortune into this scam.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,583,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Dude.....we keep bringing it up because you guys keep shoving policies down our throats! You keep invading my freedom with regulations on a religion that has not been proven!! The polar bear hoax....the fudged data they discovered!! And now they are phasing out my 100 watt light bulb???

The 100 watt light bulb is void now!! Are we kidding????

Phase-out of incandescent light bulbs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That stupid electric car explodes!

We are using our corn for gas!!!! We have food shortages around the world with prices going up and WE ARE PUTTING OUR FOOD IN OUR GAS TANKS, WHILE SITTING ON A GAZILLION BARRELLS OF OIL GOD GAVE US????!!!

Yeah.....heck yeah we keep bringing it up!!! Stop this stupid crap and we will stop talking about it!

This planet is fine! It does what it does! We do not control it!! Every now and then it gives us a lesson to show us just how weak we really are!
This post represents the height of ignorance. You talk about what God has given us yet you seem to deny God also gave us responsibilities. If you want to live in a world that has been greatly degraded by pollution, where the air is filthy and hardly fit to breathe, a world where God's beautiful creation has become a wasteland all too often, well then, I guess that is your choice but it not mine and millions of others who feel like I do. I'm not a fanatic in any way at all. I drive a car, heat my house and consume energy in many ways. However doing these things does not make me unaware of the deree of environmental distruction WE have caused this planet. Denying we have caused great distruction is about as smart as denying that gravity exists. It's a given, it's a reality. Because of that reality I choose to limit my own personal addition to it in any practical way I can.

Your comment about people stopping talking about it is nonsence. People are never going to stop talking about it, not ever. If you want to live in a degraded world where a forest is a rare thing, where species are exterminated on a daily basis, where the water is unsafe and heavily polluted, where air pollution is the biggest threat to health, then go ahead and make my freakin day but don't dare to tell me not to be concerned, not to support LAWS that protect the things that are dear to me.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I have my own windmill and it actually does work pretty effectively and is cost effective. It has about a nine year payout. The rest of your post I agree with.
thats nice, and it likely works well in a small situation like yours, but it doesnt scale up. there is a point of diminishing returns as you scale things up. at a certain point the returns are no longer economically viable.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
thats nice, and it likely works well in a small situation like yours, but it doesnt scale up. there is a point of diminishing returns as you scale things up. at a certain point the returns are no longer economically viable.
I'm sure that is probably true.. All I can tell you is it keeps my house, barn, shop and water well all running smoothly. The trick is having adequate storage capacity (batteries) and a location with regular dependable wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies