Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:30 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times

Advertisements

Somethings are initiated under one president and come to fruition under that person who follows him so that's life. Truman was responsible for getting the civil right movement going when he integrated the military but the bulk of the credit for civil rights advances goes to Ike because it happened on his watch. Unfair maybe but that's the way the ball bounces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:31 PM

57 posts, read 31,211 times
Didn't Obama give up on the war saying he was pulling troops out? He had no clue that laden wasn't in Iraq or did he know where he was all along?

Old 01-24-2012, 11:35 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It's the right wing reflex programming to rewrite history. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they eventually claim that Bush was successful at "smoking bin Laden out of that cave".
Bush was never going to "smoke him out of the cave" because he totally lost interest in getting him. He used OBL to get us into Iraq - something I believe he wanted to do from the moment he took office; he then used 9-11 as his excuse. Once we were in Iraq, Bush didn't need OBL anymore, and thus, "I don't know where he is and I really don't think about him."

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
NOW I WONDER if osama was found when president bush was in office would the credit go to CLINTON? Sure it wont
Excellent point.

I was shocked and amazed when the Cheney father/daughter tag team immediately started trying to give Bush credit - and the gullible RW sheeple BOUGHT IT!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:38 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
BTW OP...When did Obama or anyone else for that matter, claim that he physically infiltrated bin Laden's compund in Pakistan? When did obama not give credit and honors due to the Navy Seals and intelligence and counterterrorism professionals?

Quote:
"Shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as we continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network," he said.
Who deserves credit for bin Laden's killing? - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Obama did what another POTUS was supposed to have done a few years earlier.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
BTW OP...When did Obama or anyone else for that matter, claim that he physically infiltrated bin Laden's compund in Pakistan? When did obama not give credit and honors due to the Navy Seals and intelligence and counterterrorism professionals?
This is an excellent point, too.

I remember very well in the days following OBL's killing, President Obama giving credit to everyone involved - the Seals, the intelligence community, even Bush (which I didn't happen to agree with). I was reading and hearing people on the right claiming how President Obama was trying to take "all the credit," and I remember thinking to myself, "Are we listening to the same guy?"

Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
This whole thread is just an example of conservatives being totally butt-hurt about the fact that Obama's administration set in place a policy that resulted in the successful elimination of one of America's biggest individual enemies. They still can't cope with the reality.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:54 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The credit for killing bin Laden goes 100% to President Obama.

He's certainly willing to take the credit, GWB has more class.

Compare:

George W. Bush after capture of Saddam Hussein:

Quote:
The success of yesterday's mission is a tribute to our men and women now serving in Iraq. The operation was based on the superb work of intelligence analysts who found the Dictator’s footprints in a vast country. The operation was carried out with skill and precision by a brave fighting force. Our servicemen and women and our coalition allies have faced many dangers in the hunt for members of the fallen regime, and in their effort to bring hope and freedom to the Iraqi people. Their work continues, and so do the risks. Today, on behalf of the nation, I thank the members of our Armed Forces and I congratulate them.
Barack Hussein Obama speech after Osama Bin Laden:

Quote:
And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta, the director of the CIA, to make the killing or capture of bin Laden the top priority of our war against al Qaeda, even as I continued our broader efforts to disrupt, dismantle, and defeat his network. Then, last August, after years of painstaking work by my intelligence community, I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden. It was far from certain, and it took many months to run this thread to ground. I met repeatedly with my national security team as we developed more information about the possibility that we had located bin Laden hiding within a compound deep inside of Pakistan . And finally, last week, I determined that I had enough intelligence to take action, and authorized an operation to get Osama bin Laden and bring him to justice. Today, at my direction, the United States launched a targeted operation against that compound in Abbottabad , Pakistan .

Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The credit for killing bin Laden goes 100% to President Obama. He's been so much stronger on anti-terrorist actions than wimpy Pres. Bush and VP Cheney. The President is the Commander in Chief of the Military. Ask Jimmy Carter about presidential responsibility for military actions. The military sabatoged his presidency.
I'm no conservative, and certainly not a republican, but you're wrong. Not only do the unknown SEALs deserve credit for a job well done, but so do the people in our intelligence services who found out where Bin Laden was hiding.

Having said that, Obama did revive the effort to find Bin Laden, and he did authorize the strike that saw Osama killed, and he *does* deserve credit for that - and for those who actually believe the rumor that Leon Panetta authorized the strike - please don't insult the armed forces like that.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This whole thread is just an example of conservatives being totally butt-hurt about the fact that Obama's administration set in place a policy that resulted in the successful elimination of one of America's biggest individual enemies.
What exactly did he do that wasn't being done in the previous administration?

Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
He's certainly willing to take the credit, GWB has more class.

Compare:

George W. Bush after capture of Saddam Hussein:
Real "classy." I notice in Bush's speech, not one mention of the Commander in Chief.

Can you say "sour grapes?"

Quote:
Barack Hussein Obama speech after Osama Bin Laden:
And?????

There's nothing wrong with President Obama's speech. He is the Commander in Chief and he was the one making the decisions and calling the shots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies