Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 AM

57 posts, read 31,211 times

Advertisements

Ive noticed on many posts that people are, as always, shaped by their surroundings. I have many experiences in my own region that I post about and other posters literally do not believe me. This shows how the regions of this nation are so different from one another. I feel like the generalization of America doesn't apply to citizens directly because while a citizen, even two counties away, is being represented as the same as someone in my district, chances are, they have completely different environments.

Does anyone else feel this way? This matter covers all areas of our cultures....
Racial issues, gender and sexual issues, government issues, etc etc et that all affect our voting trends
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
I agree and think that local control is always best, especially when it comes to education.
Federal mandates and laws do not work well in America because that was never the intention of our Constitution or our forefathers, who knew that the more the powers are centralized the greater opportunity for abuse and waste will exist. State control is always best.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,607,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNAM View Post
Ive noticed on many posts that people are, as always, shaped by their surroundings. I have many experiences in my own region that I post about and other posters literally do not believe me. This shows how the regions of this nation are so different from one another. I feel like the generalization of America doesn't apply to citizens directly because while a citizen, even two counties away, is being represented as the same as someone in my district, chances are, they have completely different environments.

Does anyone else feel this way? This matter covers all areas of our cultures....
Racial issues, gender and sexual issues, government issues, etc etc et that all affect our voting trends
We definitely feel this is far northern California, the most conservative region of the state that has virtually zero political influence in Sacramento.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
So, y'all would favor the Balkanization of America?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
When I tell my co-workers about where I used to live, on the other side of the state, I may as well be talking about life on the moon. They have no knowledge or experience of bilingualism requirements to get a job (there is a large and growing Hispanic population where I used to live), the "need" for multiculturalism and diversity (or you are a bigot), gangs, drive-by shootings, metal detectors, etc. Here, a big story is some kid was drinking and rear-ended an Amish buggy.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 01-26-2012 at 02:26 AM..

Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Ironically, all of the media options we have, and our ability to move wherever we want has divided us. We no longer have to rub elbows with people who are different from us. It's nice to be safe and comfortable with our own kind, but the drawback is that our ideas and philosophies are not challenged the way they used to be.

Quote:
America may be more diverse than ever coast to coast, but the places where we live are becoming increasingly crowded with people who live, think, and vote like we do. This social transformation didn't happen by accident. We've built a country where we can all choose the neighborhood and church and news show — most compatible with our lifestyle and beliefs.
The Big Sort

Old 01-26-2012, 04:44 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
We definitely feel this is far northern California, the most conservative region of the state that has virtually zero political influence in Sacramento.
A friend that I grew up with in Michigan moved to San Francisco for a couple of years. She once joked that people in the Bay Area region pretty much saw everything north of San Francisco Bay as Oregon. You don't hear anything about that part of the state. It's always the Bay, and SoCal.

Ever heard of the State of Jefferson? Pretty interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(Pacific_state)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies