Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, she was before Obama started using her as his campaign prop.
Looks like you have a bit of blood lust going on there.....whats up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 06:38 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
In order for her to be paying a rate approx 34%, she would have to be making somewhere in the neighborhood of 200K-500K.

Let's just see her tax returns so we can KNOW the truth.

Surely you don't think people should just believe these three out of hand, do you?

They have put her forward as a campaign prop, lets see the PROOF.
You don't need her returns, just use the tax tables. I assume you are just looking at federal taxes, you need to include medicare and social security taxes. Just look at the tax table, and add in the above items, there is a huge disparity due to the capital gains tax being lowered to 15% in 2002.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
I declare, the more time I spend on this forum, the less I like those on the right. Some of you are nasty, horrible people.

A private citizen should not be pressured to release their tax returns. You may hate her and want to cut her down a few notches, but she's still a private citizen and doesn't have to tell you anything. Deal with it.

The conservatives here just want her tax info so they can tear her limb from limb and destroy her. This is what they like to do to anyone who gets in their way of their precious efforts to defend their ideas: Destroy them, and savage them to bits under the glare public opinion. Kind of like a pack of wolves fighting over a single piece of steak. Sad, really, that they would want to go after a private citizen like that.

But, hey some people weren't raised to be decent folks. It is what it is.
SHE, along with obama and Buffett, have put her in the public eye, talking about HER tax rate.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't a thing that comes out of obama's mouth.

So, if she is willingly going to participate in obama's political stunt shouldn't we know the truth - what her rate really is?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
SHE, along with obama and Buffett, have put her in the public eye, talking about HER tax rate.

Now, I don't know about you, but I don't a thing that comes out of obama's mouth.

So, if she is willingly going to participate in obama's political stunt shouldn't we know the truth - what her rate really is?
You can't throw her tax rate out there and not expect demands for disclosure.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
You don't need her returns, just use the tax tables. I assume you are just looking at federal taxes, you need to include medicare and social security taxes. Just look at the tax table, and add in the above items, there is a huge disparity due to the capital gains tax being lowered to 15% in 2002.
That is assuming her rate that has been claimed is TRUE, no?

We don't have her salary, her AGI, her rate....all we have is a campaign prop by obama. Is that good enough for you?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:42 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
The President has used this woman's situation as an example of the 'middle class' taxes versus the 1% taxes. To make this claim and then not be open and forthcoming about this woman's particular situation does question the validity of the claim. When she agreed to and participated in the Obama campaign by allowing herself to be used as a political tool in this way she became a public figure vice just a private citizen.
By that definition, anyone who does any advocacy in the public eye should be forced to release their tax returns. You should be able to advocate for something without having your entire financial history out in the open for everyone to see (I think politicians are a different case). This woman was brought to congress so the president could illustrate a point. And just because she sat in the House gallery, we need to know everything about her.

So if you, a private citizen, had some cause that you felt was important, and spoke up about it, would you release your tax returns? I somehow doubt you would, because it would be "different" in your case.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
You can't throw her tax rate out there and not expect demands for disclosure.
EXACTLY. We need CONFIRMATION of what obama and buffett are saying is actually true.

So, in all their narcissistic wisdom, they have thrust this women into the campaign, into the public and she has gone willingly, apparently......now we need to see if what they claim is actually true.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:43 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:

Nope. She's a private citizen. None of my business or yours. I don't believe everything Obama says, but your belief that the president is a liar is not her problem. Again: Deal with it.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Her salary is important because she is being portrayed as a middle class taypaxer.
I get what you're saying, but I think you guys are going off on a tanget, because the salary of that particular secretary isn't important to the issue, and asking for it doesn't change a thing, because the policy on taxes in this country doesn't depend on what she makes--it's about as clear cut as it gets. Capital gains are paid at 15%, and earned income is paid at a much higher rate--there's no room for debate there. I'm a small business owner, and Buffet is a billionaire. Just like everyone else in my position, I pay around double the percent that Buffet pays. That's standard for anyone who does earn a more comfortable middle class income from salary, and that's the point. You're not going to be able to shift the debate away from that fact by forcing some poor woman to release her tax returns. It doesn't matter, because her personal salary doesn't change the tax rate, and people aren't stupid.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:44 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
By that definition, anyone who does any advocacy in the public eye should be forced to release their tax returns. You should be able to advocate for something without having your entire financial history out in the open for everyone to see (I think politicians are a different case). This woman was brought to congress so the president could illustrate a point. And just because she sat in the House gallery, we need to know everything about her.

So if you, a private citizen, had some cause that you felt was important, and spoke up about it, would you release your tax returns? I somehow doubt you would, because it would be "different" in your case.
There is no way in Hades that a billionaire is paying this woman middle class wages. She most likely makes at least 500,000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies